General Let's talk fitness

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
As professional athletes why are these players so unfit?

more specifically our forwards??

I really dont get it.

The amount of huffing and puffing, hands on knees blowing for air is blaffling to me.

Does SK not have a simple fitness regime??

For all fitness fanatics out there.

Lets discuss.

How hard is it really to get fit? And what does it take?

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Iv'e said before, coaching staff can only get a player so fit, it's then up to the individual to push themselves through fatigue barriers to increase their fitness levels.

Mannering or RTS dont get any special training, they just have the mental ability to push themselves on the field, so each time they push through fatigue they incrementally increase their fitness...once again the Warriors issues are mental.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Iv'e said before, coaching staff can only get a player so fit, it's then up to the individual to push themselves through fatigue barriers to increase their fitness levels.

Mannering or RTS dont get any special training, they just have the mental ability to push themselves on the field, so each time they push through fatigue they incrementally increase their fitness...once again the Warriors issues are mental.
That is where the extras come in. Players who do extras are naturally mentally tougher, because they know they can do it.

Reactions: Off The Bench

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
That is where the extras come in. Players who do extras are naturally mentally tougher, because they know they can do it.
Extras are all well and good, but you no doubt know a players top end fitness levels only really increase by playing the game...it's something we hear all the time.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Team NZ's Cyclors are some fully fit MFs.

After watching this, I don't think half of our players have the desire to push themselves to the limit.

In the modern era the top teams don't really suffer fatigue issues at the end of games like they used to. There aren't massive holes opening up all over the field like the days of old.

Except the Warriors of course. Are we 15 years behind the times on fitness science or something?

Reactions: leaguejunkie

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Foran’s a hard worker right? Looks in good shape.

The camera was on him a lot on Saturday he looked like he was about to keel over and die, was breathing so hard.

But he got through it.

Don’t want to make the travel excuse but having 2 days out of every 14 taken up on travel adds up over the course of the year. Don’t know if its cuts into the players free time or the actual training time though.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
I'd expect players to puff and blow a bit if they make a few tackles close together. When you tackle another player the tendency is to exhale sharply as you hit them, also you breathe much harder than normal when trying to wrestle someone to the ground. If you do this a few times without much of a break you'll be struggling for breath however fit you are.

However, during normal game play and with ball in hand I'd expect most players to be breathing perfectly fine. They are professional athletes so should be doing plenty of cardio training and working on the tackle bags should coach their bodies to cope with disrupted breathing.

Hands on knees gasping for breath doesn't look good, stand up and try and recover your breathing

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
As well as fitness it comes down to preparation, diet and mental application. These are key factors to becoming a top player.

I do an outdoor boot camp once a week along with two 7-10km runs each week.

In myself I know when I'm eating crap and may had too much beer etc. this then determines if I make my runs shorter or longer.

Similar issues are engrained in the Warriors, I don't think the majority of the players have these self disciplines.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
As well as fitness it comes down to preparation, diet and mental application. These are key factors to becoming a top player.

In myself I know when I'm eating crap and may had too much beer etc. this then determines if I make my runs shorter or longer.

Similar issues are engrained in the Warriors, I don't think the majority of the players have these self disciplines.
I think most of our older players do.. aside from Luke maybe.

But our juniors are very iffy as far as I can tell...

Lino made a comment to the herald a while back about how he converted his family to a health diet to make it easier for him to eat healthy.. Maybe this is the key for some of these kids?

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England

I'm not sure longer runs would benefit the players much at this stage of the season, maybe early in pre-season.

I would try and replicate what happens to their bodies during a game so very short sharp sprints with a short recovery between each sprint, maybe incorporate some tackle bag work at the end of each sprint so they are getting off the ground tired to sprint again. Get the heart rate up high and get them into what is known as oxygen debt (not getting as much oxygen into the body as it needs which produces all sorts of uncomfortable side effects). Do plenty of strength work designed to improve tackling technique as well, some clubs incorporate wrestling into conditioning work. Maybe have the threequarters and full back doing slightly longer sprints.

Weigh them and do constant 'bleep' tests during sprints to check heart recovery rate which is a good sign of the body's ability to recover.

No pain no gain as they say

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Is it just fitness, or is it that they are constantly on the back foot for the majority of the games. Allways playing catch up, or doing more tackling because they are on the defense so much.
When they are blowing is it when the interchanges have happened? Could it be the lack of 'Punch' going forward means that the opposition have more to give when they come back at them?

In my mind these guys look fit enough, and from some things i have seen and read recently i am no longer sure fitness is the whole issue.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Is it just fitness, or is it that they are constantly on the back foot for the majority of the games. Allways playing catch up, or doing more tackling because they are on the defense so much.
When they are blowing is it when the interchanges have happened? Could it be the lack of 'Punch' going forward means that the opposition have more to give when they come back at them?

In my mind these guys look fit enough, and from some things i have seen and read recently i am no longer sure fitness is the whole issue.
If you watch the first 20 of the cows game and our guys look like they're running a lot faster than the cows... There's a lack of energy management going on me thinks with some of the players. And it looks a little headless as well, so the possibility for mistakes is increased.

Basically they go as hard as possible out of the gates and then slow down as the game goes on.

The Cowboys are great at doing the exact opposite. Settling into their rhythm and staying in the groove for the first 60 and then creaming us in the last 20..

We should be aiming to hit top gear in the second half,,, with a low errors, low penalties, low tackles first half to set this up. Use the first half to work some decoy plays, and if those plays come off then that's a bonus. Then in the second half lift the intensity and switch up the play book to get us the victory.

The opposition have been watching our decoy plays all first half and have come up with strategies to counter them at half time,,,,, so we change the plays to exploit the opportunities created by the obvious counter plays we think they'll use to stop our first half decoy plays. I want full explanations of that last statement from every one of you, to make sure everyone understands what I just said. To be fair I'm not even sure I understand it fully. So any help would be appreciated.;)

This combined with a lift in tackling intensity, line speed and speed of PTBs etc gives us the upper hand at the death.

Is that not how winning is done in the big leagues?????

Last edited:

Herbie Hind

Warriors Bench Player
May 19, 2013
I think the Warriors fitness and conditioning has to be questioned. We are competitive, often more than competitive, for three-quarters of the game, then appear to lose most games in the second half of the second half - we simply don't seem to have quite as much in the gas tank as everyone else. As hard as it may be for everyone to consider given Wiki's legend status, maybe it's time to think about some changes to our fitness and conditioning staff? Make it a stated objective to be the fittest team in the NRL and commit to this goal in the next off-season, and see if being a fitter Warriors side in 2018 turns our fortunes around a little.

Reactions: BeastMode and jonno

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
This is not a physical strength issue. This is top mental, psychological aspect. They switch off. They don't possess GRIT. The 1%ers, We see it with QLD vs NSW, mental strength. NSW should smoke QLD on paper, but they switch off and are individuals. Same with Warriors. Their mental strength is non-existent

Brox001

Warriors Bench Player
May 16, 2015
Get the heart rate up high and get them into what is known as oxygen debt (not getting as much oxygen into the body as it needs which produces all sorts of uncomfortable side effects).
I'm not sure these guys know what "uncomfortable" feels like, maybe uncomfortable bowels after downing some of the Colonel's finest, but that's about it.

Fitness is a massive issue at the club; we always start so well, but can never maintain it for the full 80 minutes. It doesn't help we have a shit bench, but I still believe Wiki needs to go. He is too matey matey with many of these guys and he has no scientific or high performance background to be working with the brofessional athletes at the Warriors.

Brox001

Warriors Bench Player
May 16, 2015
Team NZ's Cyclors are some fully fit MFs.

After watching this, I don't think half of our players have the desire to push themselves to the limit.

In the modern era the top teams don't really suffer fatigue issues at the end of games like they used to. There aren't massive holes opening up all over the field like the days of old.

Except the Warriors of course. Are we 15 years behind the times on fitness science or something?
I bet ETNZ weren't subscribing to Wann's high fat bullshit either, like the Warriors are suckered in to believing

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
The brain uses 20% of the bodies energy. So if these guys are playing dumb footy they should have 20% more energy for running and tackling than the thinking teams. ;)
For half a minute I thought you were talking about your fellow forum members and not the players.

• Haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Last Game

13 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.1 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 11 ratings