Leeson Ah Mau

Leeson Ah Mau 2009 1.jpg

Round 1 2009 Team List

Steve Price will have four first-time Vodafone Warriors with him – including an NRL debutant – when he makes his 300th first-grade appearance in Saturday night’s NRL season-opening clash against Parramatta at Mount Smart Stadium.

Just two days after his 35th birthday (March 12), Price will play his 88th game for the club to add to the 222 he had with the Bulldogs from 1994-2004, so becoming only the 11th player to appear in 300 games since the competition began in 1908.

Named to make his debut from the interchange bench is 19-year-old prop Leeson Ah Mau, a regular with the Vodafone Junior Warriors in their successful NYC campaign last year and still eligible for that side again this season.

Making their first NRL appearance for the Vodafone Warriors will be three of the major new signings – ex-Brisbane winger Denan Kemp, his Broncos team-mate Joel Moon at standoff and former Queensland State of Origin back rower Jacob Lillyman (North Queensland), who has been named on the bench.

The starting line-up named shows only one change from the run-on combination used in the Vodafone Warriors’ final NRL trial against Gold Coast on February 28. Starting in the front row that night was Russell Packer but coach Ivan Cleary today listed World Cup-winning Kiwi Sam Rapira to partner Price in his historic appearance with Packer coming off the bench.

Cleary said the team to take on Parramatta was selected with just that game in mind.

“This is very much a team for the first round, it’s not an indication of our plans for the whole season,” he said.

“We’re approaching this year with a squad mentality. We have 34 players competing for spots and these are the 17 we’ve picked for this week.

“It’s exciting that one of them is Leeson. He’s another graduate from our NYC side and it’s great for him that he now has a chance at NRL level.”

Cleary said the trial performances had been encouraging and had produced a desired outcome of three wins.

“We were pleased with how the trials worked out but that doesn’t count for very much in all honesty,” he said.

“Now we face the Eels and they’ve also won their three trials. They also have a new coach in Daniel Anderson, who’s coming home in a way I guess after his time coaching here. He has obviously made a lot of changes since he took over.

“It’ll be a huge challenge for us and we know we’ll have to right on our game from the outset to be in contention.”

Ah Mau follows fellow Vodafone Junior Warriors Ben Matulino and Packer plus lost team-mate Sonny Fai into first-grade. They all broke into the NRL from the NYC side last year.

Set to become Vodafone Warrior No 147 (Kemp will be 144, Moon 145 and Lillyman 146), Ah Mau follows
his older brother Isaak, who’s with Brisbane, into the NRL. A De La Salle College product and brought up through the Vodafone Warriors’ development system, Ah Mau started playing league with Papatoetoe – the same club Fai started with – before joining Otahuhu. He played 18 times for the Auckland Lions in the New South Wales Premier League in 2007 and 22 times for the Vodafone Junior Warriors last year.

Ah Mau will now become just the third player to appear for the club at NRL and NYC level as well as the Vulcans in the NSW Premier League (Fai and Packer are the others).

He was used in all three NRL trials against Melbourne, North Queensland and Gold Coast last month.
Not considered for the opening round were Stacey Jones (calf), Evarn Tuimavave (neck), Mataupu Poching (ankle) and Liam Foran (elbow). The remaining NRL squad players are available to appear for the Auckland Vulcans in their first-round New South Wales Cup clash against Balmain Ryde at Western Springs on Saturday (kick-off 2.00pm).

In a quirk of the draw, this will be the fourth straight season the Vodafone Warriors have taken on the Eels early in the season, all four games played in New Zealand. They lost 14-22 in round two in Hamilton in 2006, won 34-18 in the opening round in Auckland in 2007 and 30-16 in round two at Mt Smart Stadium last year.
A
fter memorial services in Otahuhu yesterday and at Bethells Beach today, Sonny Fai will be remembered before kick-off in the NRL match on Saturday night. Both teams will come onto the field early for a minute’s silence.

The Vodafone Warriors will wear black arm bands in every game this season – as they have done in their trials – and their new Canterbury-designed Jerseys will feature a special acknowledgement of their missing team-mate. Embroidered on the Jerseys is Sonny’s signature and his official club number 138, sitting above the Vodafone Warriors’ logo.

Vodafone Warriors v PARRAMATTA EELS
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland
7.30pm, Saturday, March 14

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 Wade Mckinnon
2 Denan Kemp
3 Brent Tate
4 Jerome Ropati
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Joel Moon
7 Nathan Fien
8 Sam Rapira
9 Ian Henderson
10 Steve Price (c)
11 Simon Mannering
12 Ben Matulino
13 Micheal Luck

14 Lance Hohaia
15 Russell Packer
16 Jacob Lillyman
17 Leeson Ah Mau
18TH MAN: Epalahame Lauaki

COACH: Ivan Cleary

https://warriors.sitesuite.ws/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=26912
https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/heres-the-team.25761/

ArtySubs

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 29, 2016
He's a decent signing but I don't think Ah Mau changes the look of our forward pack much.

He's not really the sort of genuine "big bopper" that has terrorised our pack in recent times. He's more similar to the Paasi body type. He might be 110kg plus but he's on the shorter side and not exactly chiselled muscle.

Irrespective of what the height/weight stats say, our forwards tend to be either tall-ish but not exactly huge (Blair, Gavet) or nuggety (Afoa, Paasi, Ah Mau).

Maybe I'm just idealising the "Burgess physique" but I'd love a proper big unit in the 6'4"-6'5" height range and circa 120kg.

Vete and Satae are the closest we have/had but they are still not quite in the "absolute unit" category.
Don’t forget Tof Sipley where’s he.......

Herbie Hind

Warriors Bench Player
May 19, 2013
Watched Ah Mau closely in the SGI game last night. This guy is going to be a very handy pick-up for us. Better than reliable in everything he does - tackling, running with the ball, work-rate. Not a superstar, but a top-level NRL prop who puts in a solid performance every week. Really glad we have him coming here.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Watched Ah Mau closely in the SGI game last night. This guy is going to be a very handy pick-up for us. Better than reliable in everything he does - tackling, running with the ball, work-rate. Not a superstar, but a top-level NRL prop who puts in a solid performance every week. Really glad we have him coming here.

Exactly what you want imo. At full strength, we have quite a few gamebreakers - what we lack are 'top-level workmen' as you might term Ah Mau, Green and in his prime, Simon Mannering. Just guys with very little space between a good game and a bad game. I think Papa will develop into one of those players too.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Yeah when we play them I always worry when he comes off the bench for STI.

Lillyman at his best was a similar type of ' bankable insurance' when he played.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
Ah Mau is a bit different than Jake. Has good offloading skills and can break tackles. Can get a real roll in for you quickly. I think he’s an outstanding but for us. Would love to see Bully stay and play behind him.

Reactions: Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Ah Mau is a bit different than Jake. Has good offloading skills and can break tackles. Can get a real roll in for you quickly. I think he’s an outstanding but for us. Would love to see Bully stay and play behind him.
Yeah you get more with Ah Mau.

Should have qualified that post was about reliability.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Apart from how many running metres and tackles he racks up, here's what I like:

He's only missed 1 game, got to love durability in a player.

His missed tackles are very low, with only 6 in total from 21 games played.
When you compare that to our current forwards he is very much an outlier.

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 4, 2016
We’ll be pretty stacked next year if Ah Mau keeps this up and the rest of the squad stay healthy.

Also add a Corvo preseason to Ah Mau... his post contact metres were already something like 60 last night. Add to that he’s started to implement JT13 footwork this season, 2019 could be a cracker for him.

I used to think we needed a Napa type enforcer, but I reckon that style of play is not what this team is about. Going to be a good pack.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
Ah Mau with a 9/10 rating for the other elimination final. Hopefully him coupled with a fit again Pulu gives us a bit more grunt next year

10. Leeson Ah Mau: A powerhouse effort to nullify Brisbane's much-vaunted pack. Set the tone with a superb first stint and grabbed his second try for the season in the 28th minute. Finished with 147m from 14 hit ups and 27 tackles. 9

WarriorBall

Was just checking his stats for the Dragons this season and there was one there that stood out head and shoulders above the rest, tackles made 570, missed tackles 6. That’s not a typo, 6 missed tackles for the entire season!

He’s only missed 2 tackles since the Dragons played the Warriors in April, that’s 5 months of football which is pretty bloody remarkable.

But he ain’t no tackle bot neither, his post contact and run meters are impressive as well given he’s played short minutes off the bench for a large chunk of the season.

Hopefully the huge hole Mannering leaves in the middle of the park will be Leeson-ed .... see what I did there ............ I’ll show myself out.

shuffle

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
What incredible stats! For me Ah Mau will be my most anticipated player since Sam Tomkins signed. No disrespect to RTS, Harris, Luke and co. I hope he brings the competition that Gavet and Satae need. Could be a very angry pack next year!

Parramatta Eels Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane Rate Match

Last Game

16 May

18 - 34
5.0 Total Avg Rating
5.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 15 ratings