TeamList [2023, Finals Week 1] - Penrith Vs Warriors

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

Not sure if it was talked about in the post match thread last week.

But the coaching staff had Volkman playing to the exact same kicking plan as they use with SJ. High and deep right, letting our right edge chase hard and pin them down.

Problem is Volkman doesn't have the same height or depth as SJ, so the kicks were landing short with the chase being not quite there as we've seen all season.

They will need to alter the plan if Volkman is to play on Saturday, because that didn't work against the Dolphins let alone Penrith.
Ger that, but imagine Martin, Walker, Sironon or Tohu in the halves!

Not sure if it was talked about in the post match thread last week.

But the coaching staff had Volkman playing to the exact same kicking plan as they use with SJ. High and deep right, letting our right edge chase hard and pin them down.

Problem is Volkman doesn't have the same height or depth as SJ, so the kicks were landing short with the chase being not quite there as we've seen all season.

They will need to alter the plan if Volkman is to play on Saturday, because that didn't work against the Dolphins let alone Penrith.
I think it had a bit to do with the quality of service he was receiving with Egan missing, whilst being behind a pack that was mostly on the back foot last week. From what I have seen in cup, Volkmans boot doesn't lack power.

Why do the club care about ticket sales - that goes to the NRL

I don't read it as promising he will play but more an attempt to curb the rumour mill.

Last thing the club will want is questions about next game before they have even named a final team for this one
I know where the ticket sales goes.

We have discussed it in here many times over the years.

A half empty Eden park is a good reason for the Warrior brand to want people to show up.

By the way the club cannot promise SJ plays, no one can on earth. They can project is all it is called a prognosis an educated guess. His body repair has no relation to their words on the interweb.

When we signed him to come back there was a lot of discussion on how much game time we'd actually get out of Johnson. He's aging and has a history of injuries. We have had a great run with him. All of the other halves have been getting injured around him the last two years.

He's turned around last years poor form and I felt if any player was going to be motivated to do something special in the finals it would be Johnson. He'd be up to finish (I know he's going around this year more his career is closer to the end) his career in a Warriors jersey on a high. Performing in the finals would be something he'd be aiming for. His last final in a Warriors jersey wasn't great, this weekend would of been a good chance to rectify that.

We have had a bad run with injuries all year, just as someone was coming back someone else would get injured. Besides Metcalf and a few guys only just coming back we were looking pretty good as far as who was available.

This is gutting.

Gutted SJ isn’t playing but there could be a few unknowns we can throw at the panthers. They kept us to 6 points with SJ when we played them through the year so they had done their homework. It’s likely TMM will play halfback but hopefully the unknown of the team selection now disrupts their preparations.

I thought it was his quad, is it his calf as well?
He's out due to his calf but there has been some talk about him carrying a quad injury for a while now. I haven't seen anything where the quad or thigh injury has been talked about in any detail like which leg it is.

I'd be interested to know if it is the same leg. Compensating for one injury caused another. Daley talking about his injuries years ago mentioned it goes down your body. Started with a lower back, groin, hamstring, then knee issues.

as someone else mentioned, my guess is:
Egan 7
Lussick 9
And Walker will come into 7 from time to time to mix it up

I'm not a massive fan of playing too many players out of position

In any case, I am glad this didn't happen during the game and the fact that we have another lifeline next week if we don't come away with the win in Penrith

Confuse the opposition by them having no idea who might be kicking?
I hope we don't confuse ourselves at the same time. We are planning on kicking this game right?

Back