• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
Laura-Mariu-53031w2212.jpg

Player Laura Mariu

Full Name
Laura Tui Mariu
Date of Birth
Dec 2, 1980
Birth Location
Auckland, New Zealand
Nationality
  1. 🇳🇿 New Zealand
Height (cm)
171 cm
Weight (kg)
85 kg
Position/s
  1. Halfback
  2. Second Row
Nickname
Lauz
Warrior #
NRL Debut Date
Sep 8, 2018
NRL Debut Details
WNRL 2018, Round 1, Sydney Roosters v NZ Warriors
Warriors Debut Date
Sep 8, 2018
Warriors Debut Details
WNRL 2018, Round 1, Sydney Roosters v NZ Warriors
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2018
Signed From
Manurewa Marlins
Junior Club/s
Manurewa Marlins
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Captain
Status
Retired
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Mariu
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/laura-mariu/summary.html

mt.wellington

Contributor

Laura Tui Mariu MNZM (born 2 December 1980) is a New Zealand and Canadian international rugby league player. She represented New Zealand at the 2000, 2003, 2008, 2013 and 2017 Women's Rugby League World Cups.

Mariu was chosen to captain the New Zealand Warriors' Women's team in the inaugural NRLW competition in 2018.

In the 2018 Queen's Birthday Honours, Mariu was appointed a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to rugby league.

Mariu represented the Canada Ravens in the 2021 Rugby League World Cup. She is eligible through her Canadian mother.

NZWarriors.com

Laura Mariu to lead Vodafone Warriors women's team​

Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Wed 8 Aug 2018, 03:59 pm
laura-mariu-1b.jpg

Head coach Luisa Avaiki has today announced current Kiwi Ferns captain Laura Mariu will lead the Vodafone Warriors in the new NRL women’s premiership next month.

The legendary Mariu began her international career in 2000 and captained the Kiwi Ferns in last year’s women’s Rugby League World Cup final against the Jillaroos.

The 37-year-old Mariu has again underlined her leadership abilities this year by guiding the Counties Manukau Stingrays to success in the women’s national tournament and also savouring victory with the Manurewa Wahine in the Auckland women’s premiership.

“It wasn’t a difficult choice given Laura’s experience and all her achievements in rugby league,” said Avaiki.

It wasn’t a difficult choice given Laura’s experience and all her achievements in rugby league
Luisa AvaikiVodafone Warriors women's head coach

“It was a pleasure asking her to take the role with the first Vodafone Warriors team in this inaugural NRL women’s premiership.

“Laura’s our most-decorated women’s player who has consistently achieved the highest honours in the game.

“She’s very capable, has served rugby league in this country with distinction and was always going to be the best choice for our team.

“She’s a dedicated, loyal and genuine team-mate who is well respected by her peers. She leads by example and demonstrates sound leadership in her playing ability, too.”

She’s a dedicated, loyal and genuine team-mate who is well respected by her peers
Luisa AvaikiVodafone Warriors women's head coach

Previously with the Papakura Sisters, Mariu has played in each of the five women’s World Cup tournaments played so far – the first three all won by the Kiwi Ferns – and also represented the Kiwi Ferns in each of their three appearances at the NRL Nines at Eden Park in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Mariu’s contribution to rugby league was recognised in this year’s Queen’s Birthday honours when she was made a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit (ONZM).

Along with Vodafone Warriors team-mate Apii Nicholls, Mariu is now a constable with the New Zealand Police in the Counties Manukau district.

LAURA MARIU
Born: December 2, 1980
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Club: Manurewa Marlins
Position: Loose forward/halfback
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2000-2018), World Cup (2000, 2005, 2008, 2013, 2017), NRL Nines (2015, 2016, 2017), Counties Manukau Stingrays

Laura Mariu: Meet the woman who has played in every Women’s Rugby League World Cup
Sebastian Sternik
01 Nov 2022 10:43 AM
Laura Mariu Kiwis 1.png

Canada may be seen as the ultimate underdogs at the forthcoming Women’s World Cup, though the Ravens have one experienced ace up their sleeve in the shape of Laura Mariu.

Mariu, who is a three-time World Cup winner with New Zealand, will mark her sixth tournament appearance if she takes to the field against Papua New Guinea on Tuesday.

The 41-year-old rugby league stalwart is the only player to have competed in every Women’s World Cup. However, while her past five tournament appearances came in New Zealand colours, Mariu will represent her mother’s Canadian heritage in the 2022 event.

When asked what sparked the switch in allegiance, she told Love Rugby League: “I had my last test match with the Kiwi Ferns in 2018 against the Jillaroos, the Australian side. Unfortunately, I sustained an injury, I dislocated my shoulder so that put me out.

“Then there was some miscommunication and I never heard back from NZRL. That prompted me to make a decision as to whether I should go elsewhere.

“Fortunately for me, my mum was born in Canada and they gave me an opportunity to represent my mum, to represent Canada. From there, I made contact with the Canada Ravens to start the process.”

How playing for Canada came about
Mariu revealed how the pandemic prevented her from linking up with her new team-mates ahead of the World Cup.

She said: “In this day and age in the women’s game you need an agent. But I just went in direct. I heard about the try-outs and found what the coaches contact details and pretty much made contact from there. That’s pretty much how it all unravelled.

“I didn’t make it to Canada due to Covid and not being allowed out of the country (New Zealand). I actually never met the team or went through the processes of try-outs. It was just a matter of me maintaining game time back home, and following whatever the coaches expected from us.”

Mariu’s first hit-out with the team took place last week as Canada lost 8-6 in a warm-up clash with Ireland.

Looking back at the game, the three-time world champion said: “That was the first time playing with the girls, trying to figure out those combinations, understanding where players play.

“I wasn’t going in with many expectations, I just wanted to get a feel for the team and how I fit in with their style.”

Laura-Mariu-2000-World-Cup-PA.jpg
Laura Mariu in action for New Zealand at the 2000 Rugby League World Cup

Mariu is now looking ahead to a historic sixth World Cup outing, though despite Canada’s underdog status, she has urged her side to believe.

“It’s a stepping stone but ultimately when you go into a World Cup situation, you want to win,” she said. “You do whatever you can at whatever cost.

“It’s a difficult one. I’ve been part of campaigns with the Kiwi Ferns when in the early days we were on a winning streak. We won our first three World Cups, and then on the latter end we came second to Australia.

“In terms of Canada, it’s about trying to formulate that belief that anything is possible. With my experiences at World Cup campaigns, it really comes down to who gels the best during that time. It’s a key focus for me coming into this squad.”

Canada Ravens will kick off their campaign against Papua New Guinea at Headingley Stadium on Tuesday, November 1.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

Year to remember for Kiwi league legends Laura and Hilda Mariu​

• 30/09/2018
  • Rewa Harriman
hilda-and-laura-mariu-1a.jpg

The couple have been together for six years and couldn't be prouder of each other's achievements. Credits: The Hui

2018 has been a year to remember for league legends Laura and Hilda Mariu.

The pair not only tied the knot in March, but also played for the inaugural NRL women's premiership this month. That experience alone would've called for celebration for the league lovers, but there's also been a career change, a moko kauae and a Queen's honour.

Laura is the captain of the Kiwi Ferns, She's represented New Zealand since 2000, played in every World Cup and is the current captain. It's no wonder she was awarded a Queen's honour this year for her services to the sport.

League is in Hilda's blood too. She's in the Kiwi Ferns alongside her two sisters Rona and Kahurangi Peters. Hilda made the headlines earlier this month when she became the first sportsperson to have a moko kauae (Māori chin tattoo) on the world stage.

The couple met on the field and while it wasn't love at first sight, Laura says their encounter was memorable.

"We were playing in different teams, I was playing the ball she shoved me and then I exchanged some colourful words."

This year, Laura also took a step towards life after rugby league - she joined the police.

The couple have been together for six years and couldn't be prouder of each other's achievements.

"I've always been inspired by Laura - I've got the biggest role model right in front of me," says Hilda.

While the women's Warriors team didn't make it to the grand final this weekend, both Laura and Hilda believe the competition gave the women's game some much-needed exposure.

The Hui