General Lauaki Retained

• Thread starter MiXmasterreece_old
  • Start date

MiXmasterreece_old

LAUAKI RETAINED BY VODAFONE WARRIORS ON NEW CONTRACT

Epalahame Lauaki is the latest off-contract player to be re-signed by the Vodafone Warriors.
The club today confirmed the 22-year-old back rower has a new deal for the 2007 National Rugby League season with an option for 2008.
Vodafone Warriors head coach Ivan Cleary was especially pleased Lauaki had received some good news in a challenging season that has seen him sidelined for more than three months with injury.
“This is a huge positive for Hame in what’s been a tough year for him,†said Cleary.
“He put in plenty of work in the off-season and in our pre-season trials and was showing real improvement early in our NRL campaign.
“His injury was a big setback but his attitude has been outstanding since then. He has done everything asked of him in his recovery and rehabilitation.â€Â
Lauaki’s plans to establish himself as a regular in 2006 were disrupted after appearing in each of the Vodafone Warriors’ first three matches of the season.
He needed surgery after tearing pectoral muscles in his right shoulder during the win over Wests Tigers in Christchurch on March 25.
“Hame’s on schedule to be available again soon,†said Cleary.
“He has plenty to offer us and now he’s in a position to be able to start again and put pressure on others in the squad, which is just what we need.â€Â
Lauaki burst onto the NRL scene in the Vodafone Warriors’ opening match of the 2004 season against Brisbane, going on to make 16 appearances and score four tries in his rookie year.
Born in Tonga and younger brother of All Black loose forward Sione, he was used in only five matches last season.
Apart from Lauaki, other players who have signed new contracts or extensions with the Vodafone Warriors in recent weeks include Ruben Wiki, Simon Mannering, Tony Martin, Grant Rovelli, Evarn Tuimavave and Manu Vatuvei plus Aidan Kirk from the Sydney Roosters and Central Falcons brothers Russell and Paora Packer.

EPALAHAME LAUAKI

Born: January 27, 1984
Birthplace: Tonga
Position: Second row
Height: 184cm
Weight: 110kg
Junior Club: Glenora (Auckland)
NRL Debut: Vodafone Warriors v Brisbane, Suncorp Stadium, March 14, 2004
NRL Career: Vodafone Warriors – 24 games
NRL Points: 16 (4 tries)
Educated: Kelston Boys’ High School

warriorfaithful*_old

Nice to hear!!!! We are retaining some players instead of looking elsewhere.

fiamacho_old

No it is not good to hear !!! He has done absolutely nothing in 2006 except iron the jerseys and peel the oranges at half time.

He should of been released !!!

Skinny_Ravs82

fiamacho said:
No it is not good to hear !!! He has done absolutely nothing in 2006 except iron the jerseys and peel the oranges at half time.

then who would you suggest?

Wiki_old

fiamacho said:

He got injured?

So you telling me that Price shuld have been released too if he had a pectorial injury keeping him out?

Hame is only young. We go on and on about releasing our players before they have hit their straps. It takes time ...look at Evarn as a great example.

This is a good move. Hame offers us something different out there. He is powerful and when he gets into good shape he will be something to mess with.

STRIDER_old

Totaly agree with you Wiki !!

I am very very pleased the club held onto him. I fully expect big things from him !!

GO HAME !!

sebastian_old

Awen has helped us get our 4 wins, Awen can be a 80 minute player, Awen can be a onfield leader, Awen can offload & Awen can get more than 100 metres a game. What about Hame, all i here is if & buts, if Hame loses weight, if Hame gets good form, if Hame becomes a succsess. Theres no denying this is a gamble, & with the salary cap of a hermit this is a bad finacial move. Why not get one of the proven forwards on the market instead of Hame??? I'd be damn interested to know how much hes getting as we could've offered the extra money to someone who actually deserves it such as Brent Webb, theres no dought he deserves to stay.No salary cap drama & i wouldv'e appluaded this decision but with Sam rapari & Sonny fai coming through 1st grade, this is a gamble we just can't afford especially if he just ends up at barter cup wasting 100,000 or more.

warriors4life_old

fiamacho said:

Half of it is about what he has done so far but the other half is what he is going to do. He is a lot younger than Guttenbeil, has a lot of potential and is yet to peak. I think that he deserves to be re-signed, even if it is at the expense of Guttenbeil.

fiamacho_old

warriors4life said:
fiamacho said:

Half of it is about what he has done so far but the other half is what he is going to do. He is a lot younger than Guttenbeil, has a lot of potential and is yet to peak. I think that he deserves to be re-signed, even if it is at the expense of Guttenbeil.

To tell you the truth he has done "jack all" to date if he lives up to his potential then I am yet to see eveidence of this.

Wiki_old

fiamacho said:
To tell you the truth he has done "jack all" to date if he lives up to his potential then I am yet to see eveidence of this.

Are you one of those people that complain when we released all of the countless others only for them to go on to better things?

Iafeta_old

sebastian said:
Awen has helped us get our 4 wins, Awen can be a 80 minute player, Awen can be a onfield leader, Awen can offload & Awen can get more than 100 metres a game. What about Hame, all i here is if & buts, if Hame loses weight, if Hame gets good form, if Hame becomes a succsess. Theres no denying this is a gamble, & with the salary cap of a hermit this is a bad finacial move. Why not get one of the proven forwards on the market instead of Hame??? I'd be damn interested to know how much hes getting as we could've offered the extra money to someone who actually deserves it such as Brent Webb, theres no dought he deserves to stay.No salary cap drama & i wouldv'e appluaded this decision but with Sam rapari & Sonny fai coming through 1st grade, this is a gamble we just can't afford especially if he just ends up at barter cup wasting 100,000 or more.

I can't disagree with too much of that. It's a big risk, a big gamble - he hasn't shown me a lot in his time in first grade. Poor fatigue, poor lateral defence, not a lot of ball skills, doesn't know how to use his size, weak tackler, no leadership.

Hopefully he can turn his career around though, what's done is done, can't agree with it but who knows.

Wiki_old

Iafeta said:
I can't disagree with too much of that. It's a big risk, a big gamble - he hasn't shown me a lot in his time in first grade. Poor fatigue, poor lateral defence, not a lot of ball skills, doesn't know how to use his size, weak tackler, no leadership.

Hopefully he can turn his career around though, what's done is done, can't agree with it but who knows.

He signed to a one year deal.

Not that much of a gamble.

STRIDER_old

No and from what I heard some very big clubs were interested in him. He wants to stay home with his family. having a big All Black could of put excess pressure on him to perform.

Trust me on this one, Ackland is a super anaylser of the game and junior players. They certainly must believe he has talent to be re-signing him.

Also I would suggest Brent Webb was let go because while he does do certain things right in his game, there is a lot of things he doesnt do compared to top flight Fullbacks in the NRL.

Awen has produced his best form in his final year at the Warriors, this so often happens in a players career.

Wiki_old

Exactly. There is nothing to say Awen would keep this type for form up. Hame was starting to hit his straps at the start of this year. The Warriors have given him a final shot in 2007 with the option to resign him in 2008.

In terms of Hame being re-signed I am super stoked. Not so stoked that Awen will proably not be kept but I'm leaning towards retaining Hame over Awen.

Iafeta_old

STRIDER said:
No and from what I heard some very big clubs were interested in him. He wants to stay home with his family. having a big All Black could of put excess pressure on him to perform.

Trust me on this one, Ackland is a super anaylser of the game and junior players. They certainly must believe he has talent to be re-signing him.

Also I would suggest Brent Webb was let go because while he does do certain things right in his game, there is a lot of things he doesnt do compared to top flight Fullbacks in the NRL.

Awen has produced his best form in his final year at the Warriors, this so often happens in a players career.

Such as?

Scowering other league forums and articles there was no apparent interest from any NRL club.

Awen was in as good form in the second half of last year if not better form than he has been this year. Because we weren't winning, he copped a bagging regardless. His stats as per usual were outstanding. A load of metres made. He's had a couple of very fine seasons prior to that also.

The question I'll ask though is do you judge a player on his abilities to perform at first grade, or by their date of birth? I mean, Awen's been a terrific servant of this club and been a fine player to boot, yet cops a flogging left right and centre seemingly because there's younger players than him around.

Iafeta_old

Wiki said:
Exactly. There is nothing to say Awen would keep this type for form up. Hame was starting to hit his straps at the start of this year. The Warriors have given him a final shot in 2007 with the option to resign him in 2008.

In terms of Hame being re-signed I am super stoked. Not so stoked that Awen will proably not be kept but I'm leaning towards retaining Hame over Awen.

Really?

Because for the first three weeks of the competition from what I can remember, 90% of this forum, 90% of LU, 90% of Rleague wanted Hame out of the 17 and were seriously questioning his continued selection. I don't think that's so much hitting your straps. While he improved the last week or two, it was hard not to on the back of the performances he'd put up early on. They were ordinary, infact, below ordinary.

Wiki_old

Iafeta said:
Really?

Because for the first three weeks of the competition from what I can remember, 90% of this forum, 90% of LU, 90% of Rleague wanted Hame out of the 17 and were seriously questioning his continued selection. I don't think that's so much hitting your straps. While he improved the last week or two, it was hard not to on the back of the performances he'd put up early on. They were ordinary, infact, below ordinary.

Are you sure?

They were ordinary early on I will agree with you there.

But isn't Evarn an example of someone who just needs time. Some are like that.

What about Mannering? He was ok last year, but nothing special. This year he has improved greatly and especially in the last week. You can't just put a player in there and expect them to be better than the person you are replacing - you need to give it time.

I would very much like to see Awen stay but in order to continue with the development of the club I see this signing as positive.

fiamacho_old

Wiki said:
fiamacho said:

Are you one of those people that complain when we released all of the countless others only for them to go on to better things?

No I wasnt I actually complained when the myopic ones blamed the Coach for Hame can't catch a ball, missed tackles and also the infamous mid filed brain explosion, when he was depsterate to try and prove himself in a game against the Broncos.

Evarn was never ordinary he pulled off some spectacular performances, Hame has had alot more opportunities then what Evarn ever had and the fact of the matter is, Hame has not produced.

It is common knowledge that other NRL Clubs had a plan to just piss him off and it worked this idiot blew his cool, lost his load and Kemp and Co had no choice but to replace him.

He is a waste of good $$$$$ which could of been used to retain useful players like Webby.