General Latu 'done with footy'

warriors4life_old

From nzherald.co.nz

By Michael Brown

There is no guarantee disgraced hooker Tevita Latu will lace up his boots to play rugby league again, with the 24-year-old having told Sharks officials he is "done with footy".

Several Bartercard Cup sides, including Wellington, have expressed an interest in securing Latu's services after his Sharks contract was terminated in the wake of an alleged assault on 19-year-old Brooke Peninton on Monday morning. The NRL supported the Sharks' tough stance by saying they were unlikely to accept any future registration of the player, meaning his NRL career is effectively over.

Sharks CEO Greg Pierce, however, said Latu had told him that he had had enough of the game.

"Even before we made our decision [to terminate his contract], he told me that he didn't want to be involved in footy anymore."

Latu has gone to ground in Sydney's western suburbs since the alleged assault but met with the club chaplain on Thursday and had his first counselling session yesterday. Despite effectively ending Latu's career, the Sharks have stood by the beleaguered one-test Kiwi and even offered to help him find a job.

"We will stick with Tevita as long as it takes," Pierce said. "We have to support this bloke and we want to support him and help him move on with his life. He has been pretty receptive to it so far and has thanked us for our compassion, even though we had to terminate his contract."

The Sharks' decision drew criticism from the likes of Nigel Vagana and Awen Guttenbeil, who both said the club had been too harsh and too hasty, but Pierce explained that 90-95 per cent of people supported their decision. He also said if people knew all of the facts as well as some background on Latu's history, they might change their mind, as Vagana had since first making his opinion public.

"There has been a small percentage of people who thought that we were a bit harsh on Tevita but if they knew all the details, they might not think that way," Pierce said.

"People say that he should have had a second chance. Well, he has had a second chance and maybe even a third chance.

"When he came to us [six months ago], it was a case of giving him another chance but there were some issues in New Zealand.

"Nigel is entitled to his opinion but we said to him he didn't have all of the facts when he spoke out. He fully supports the club now."

Latu has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and will appear in the court on June 15.

warriors4life_old

That's a shame if he is giving up league, I bet he wishes he could turn back time now.

mosh_old

Like I said, there are other oppertunities for him. And I do not feel sorry for him. KFC, McDonalds, selling carpet at the Otara Fleamarket the list goes on.

AmeriKiwi_old

Announcing he`s done with footy is kind of like saying "I quit" 10 minutes after your boss fires you.

Northern_Union

A shame, a fine young footballer and one test Kiwi.
The punishment doesn't fit the crime in my opnion.

warriors4life_old

Sinbad said:
What is the difference between him and Gower ?

Gower is Australian !!!

Yeah but Gower only ran around naked, threatened a girl's brother and chased her around in a golf cart, he didn't actually physically abuse anyone.

Jesbass_old

warriors4life said:
Sinbad said:

Gower is Australian !!!

Yeah but Gower only ran around naked, threatened a girl's brother and chased her around in a golf cart, he didn't actually physically abuse anyone.

No, he sexually assaulted her.

*Kimmy*_old

Did anyone read the sunday news today??

Jason Williams(i think thats his name..cant remember lol) was right..if it was a high profile aussie star, they wouldnt have been kicked out.

STRIDER_old

We dont know all the facts surrounding Tevita, Perhaps what he did was even worse than we realise. It already is disgusting

2big2strong_old

i'm against hitting women as much as anyone else here but you have to wonder what she did/said to get punched in the face? it's not like he was just taking a leisurely stroll and thought, ''hmmm, i'm bored, i think i might just whack this one right in the face'' i'd love to know what actually went down. In saying that i am aquiantances with Latu and he does have a short/unreasonable temper that a lot of us polynesians are born with. hope he gets a good job and doesn't end up like Olsen Filipaina as a dusty in Sydneys suburbs

*Kimmy*_old

STRIDER said:
We dont know all the facts surrounding Tevita, Perhaps what he did was even worse than we realise. It already is disgusting
Or maybe the media have made it bigger then it really is..but i highly doubt that :wink:

warriors4life_old

Jesbass said:
warriors4life said:
Sinbad said:

Gower is Australian !!!

No, he sexually assaulted her.

OK, the word used in the press was he "groped" her, but that is a lot different to punching a woman square in the face and breaking her nose.

2big2strong_old

Rumor has it ,according to 'thekennel', that Brooke Penington is Billy Ngawini's Girlfriend. I doubt it though.

Sinbad_old

Whats the difference between molesting a young woman and punching her ? Nothing as the NRL stated with Tavita , his treatment was not what is expected of a role model player. I ask again why was Gower not also treated like him?

Up to the time of his injury there was even talk of him being the NSW captain in the SOO.

Double standards ? You bloody bet there is !

As much as I dont condone what Tavita did I do hope that the NZRL do offering him a Barter Card Cup berth. I am sick and tired of the NRL's double standards and it is time something or someone did or spoke out about it.

I also think that they acted far too early. What about the not guilty until proven?

Typical bloody minded Aussies ( sorry to all our forum friends across the ditch !)

Gallop is a DICK !

*Kimmy*_old

2black2strong said:
Rumor has it ,according to 'thekennel', that Brooke Penington is Billy Ngawini's Girlfriend. I doubt it though.
To be honest, i wouldnt doubt it. They are friends...they could be more then friends :wink:

Paul Holmes_old

Go_The_Doggies said:
2black2strong said:
To be honest, i wouldnt doubt it. They are friends...they could be more then friends :wink:
If you watch ngati nrl billy ngawini features quite regularly living with another girl so probably not unless those episodes are out of date

*Kimmy*_old

Paul Holmes said:
Go_The_Doggies said:
2black2strong said:
If you watch ngati nrl billy ngawini features quite regularly living with another girl so probably not unless those episodes are out of date
Well i would if i knew what time it was..i tuned my tv in for it especially!!..woop woop told me..but when i went to watch it...wasnt on :(

patty_old

no i remember reading a full story when it started...they were saying how he threw bark and stuff at her at a BP then she retaliated and he punched her then a BULLDOGS player steped in. i betcha you would find that him