Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You need resourcing and expectations.

Labour missed the expectation part. But we do need resourcing.
I was replying to a statement " throw money at it and some might stick ".
Your take on the expected outcome with this type of activity.
Nicola and her chopping back on expenditure might disagree

That doesn't really solve the problem though does it? More of conservative wet dream, that we can enact behavioural change without any need for investment.
Worked in my day. That was when you had to pay for stuff yourself, so a degree of planning was helpful. Come to think of it, women used to get their contraceptives from................... Family Planning.

Worked in my day. That was when you had to pay for stuff yourself, so a degree of planning was helpful. Come to think of it, women used to get their contraceptives from................... Family Planning.
Back in my day there was a thing called Social Security which was helpful for people who wanted to purchase a home.

That wasn't during the time when wages and costs were enough that one parent could to stay at home fulltime?

Last edited:
I was replying to a statement " throw money at it and some might stick ".
Your take on the expected outcome with this type of activity.
Nicola and her chopping back on expenditure might disagree
It’s hard because I think we’re at a real low point post covid with a whole lot of deep and heavy societal and economic issues.

You need to foster and aim for independence as family units but a lot of families can’t do it without a lot of support. Different families will have different and sometimes complex needs.

Some families will need carrots, some sticks and most somewhere in between.

A blanket crack down and cut back on support or a be kind and provide everything with no expectations doesn’t work. It needs to be middle ground. Tough to get the balance right.

Time will tell if we’re getting better or worse…

It’s hard because I think we’re at a real low point post covid with a whole lot of deep and heavy societal and economic issues.

You need to foster and aim for independence as family units but a lot of families can’t do it without a lot of support. Different families will have different and sometimes complex needs.

Some families will need carrots, some sticks and most somewhere in between.

A blanket crack down and cut back on support or a be kind and provide everything with no expectations doesn’t work. It needs to be middle ground.

Time will tell if we’re getting better or worse…
I think you need to do both, increase support monetarily (increase the 0% tax threshold on income to $30,000, increase benefits, with some 'expectations' if you like) and also increase support from a skills perspective, with better resourced wrap around services to enhance skillsets for people on long-term benefits and anyone else who would like it.
Increase funding to Plunket to help identify people who are struggling early on with parenting.

Last edited:
I think you need to do both, increase support monetarily (increase the 0% tax threshold on income to $30,000, increase benefits with some 'expectations' if you like) and also increase support from a skills perspective, with better resourced wrap around services to enhance skillsets for people on long-term benefits and anyone else who would like it.
Increase funding to Plunket to help identify people who are struggling early on in parenting.
Night schools - funding cut years ago. Every college should be open every night as community and adult education - plunket, hard skills, soft skills, financial planning, family planning, etc.

I did a couple of courses as a young adult on accounting for business and the basics of welding. Nowadays I think it’s mostly gone.

I think they missed the resourcing part to a large extent as well. Certainly threw more money at a lot of things.
They had the Social License but the social license to go for it but didnt go for it - and the social license ran out

Actually they did go more central. That's why they lost so many votes to the greens.
Only after it was to late with Hipkins.

I believe if they did the wealth tax thing both the Greens and Labour would have got less votes.

Because they didn’t run with it, it was ignored. If they put it up it would have been attacked because it’s failed most places it’s been tried overseas and the negatives are massive.

Honestly - he was to busy hysterically ranting about them to pay attention to what was actually happening.
I was on the button with the mood of the nation 😉

Until the left reflect on why they lost they will stay irrelevant. And as you know I’m a past Labour voter and want Labour to do well, just not this version of Labour.

Night schools - funding cut years ago. Every college should be open every night as community and adult education - plunket, hard skills, soft skills, financial planning, family planning, etc.

I did a couple of courses as a young adult on accounting for business and the basics of welding. Nowadays I think it’s mostly gone.
Thanks National... Funding was cut in 2009.

Last edited:
That wasn't during the time when wages and costs were enough that one parent could to stay at home fulltime?
No. Still needed two incomes for most people unless one was on big money, although the women's income was often derived from part time work.
The cost of living was way less than now, food was way cheaper and not much to spend money on and virtually no credit.
Cars were expensive compared to now.

Back in my day there was a thing called Social Security which was helpful for people who wanted to purchase a home.
That must have been unavailable when I was buying first home, there was nothing.
Are you referring to capitalising the family benefit which was a few dollars a week paid to every parent of school age kids?

That must have been unavailable when I was buying first home, there was nothing.
Are you referring to capitalising the family benefit which was a few dollars a week paid to every parent of school age kids?
Something like that.
Social Credit was a political party.
You could claim so much child benefit for/towards a deposit for a new home.
That's what I can remember

Forget about leaders, you should want better for your children, that is better than we had.
This think is incredibly toxic and is a major driving of todays issues. This is the “weak” parenting I’m talking about.

Also “better” is subjective asf. Most parent translate that to “easier” which breeds weakness. I want my kids to be smarter, fitter, better read, more creative, wealthier, better educated than I was. If you notice there’s nothing “easy” about any of that.

You need to foster and aim for independence as family units but a lot of families can’t do it without a lot of support.
Ahh the lullaby of the right. “Independence”.

What we need to do is bring back inter dependence through family units. 3 people living in bedroom house is a fucking gigantic waste of resources and a major driver of cost inflation.

Used to be 3 generations under one roof. Free childcare, free cooking. It used to take a village to raise a child. Now it’s 2 19yr olds without the first fucking clue about life.

Ahh the lullaby of the right. “Independence”.

What we need to do is bring back inter dependence through family units. 3 people living in bedroom house is a fucking gigantic waste of resources and a major driver of cost inflation.

Used to be 3 generations under one roof. Free childcare, free cooking. It used to take a village to raise a child. Now it’s 2 19yr olds without the first fucking clue about life.
Independent of the state

Back