Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
The Sharks waiting for the Warriors to release AFB for 2024 is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt.

As Jack Gibson said (oh, okay, would have said if he was a Warriors fan in December 2023!)

But, one sign of a shitty attitude and if I'm CG, I'mma pack his and Ana's bags for 'em, drive them to the airport personally and throw them through into the Customs area so they can't come back..
Hasn't it been stated a number of times that the AFB release is conditional on him playing on for Warriors in 24? Doubt any of his suitors would have been agitating for an earlier release based on Warriors granting him a release based on that.

Would have been hard for the Warriors to convince a player to come back in return in the first place tbh. It's not like the Sharks can push the player out and Sutherland Shire is a bit of a different lifestyle to Auckland. Hard to take a shire boy out of that environment. Hopefully the club can make a play for a decent forward with the coin available and we don't get stuck convincing players like Niukore on extreme overs.

Maybe time to re-look at signing a RU player , taking advantage of the salary cap cuts that apply?
We now have decent development coaches to ensure that a move has every chance of success

So who replaces Addin?

Branden Hamlin-Uele off contract in 2025. A possibility if cooling off period required.
Jayden Su’A - off contract 2025
James Fisher Harris - unlikely but wouldn’t that be lovely if he decided 3 premierships were enough at the panthers and he wanted to win the second premiership at the Wahs in 2025 following the inaugural one in 2024

Anyone else?

I thought it was confirmed by the RL hierarchy that there will be no salary cap exemption for teams signing RU players.
The last statement I saw was that it wasn't for 2024 (starts from 2025) and not for players returning to rugby league so RTS doesn't qualify and Sua'ali'i won't if he returns after his union contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear much about it or it doesn't go ahead. A lot of it was due to emotions running high due to Sua'ali'i signing with the ARU and Eddie Jones wanting to sign NRL players. Well Jones is gone now and the ARU has had a change in management so the threat is eased.

The last statement I saw was that it wasn't for 2024 (starts from 2025) and not for players returning to rugby league so RTS doesn't qualify and Sua'ali'i won't if he returns after his union contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear much about it or it doesn't go ahead. A lot of it was due to emotions running high due to Sua'ali'i signing with the ARU and Eddie Jones wanting to sign NRL players. Well Jones is gone now and the ARU has had a change in management so the threat is eased.
The clubs rejected it last week.

So who replaces Addin?

Branden Hamlin-Uele off contract in 2025. A possibility if cooling off period required.
Jayden Su’A - off contract 2025
James Fisher Harris - unlikely but wouldn’t that be lovely if he decided 3 premierships were enough at the panthers and he wanted to win the second premiership at the Wahs in 2025 following the inaugural one in 2024

Anyone else?

I still have Papalii as my favourite to return home. And the way he went with Tigers this year, if he plays like that next year we will get him relatively cheap too I'm thinking.

Still really keen to hear what this Jerome Luai situation is looking like as that could be something none of us have considered.

If the Sharks had something we wanted, I think both teams would try to find an agreement for 2024 but the reality is, even if they gave us 2 players for 2024 we'd still be losing out so it deffo makes sense for us to hold on to AFB, unless the situation becomes untenable which it doesn't look like it will at this point.

I still have Papalii as my favourite to return home. And the way he went with Tigers this year, if he plays like that next year we will get him relatively cheap too I'm thinking.

Still really keen to hear what this Jerome Luai situation is looking like as that could be something none of us have considered.

If the Sharks had something we wanted, I think both teams would try to find an agreement for 2024 but the reality is, even if they gave us 2 players for 2024 we'd still be losing out so it deffo makes sense for us to hold on to AFB, unless the situation becomes untenable which it doesn't look like it will at this point.
When you consider AFB averages 171m per game, I think that’s what we need to cover and can’t see one player doing that unless we manage to get JFH, who averages 130m per game or Taumalolo who averages 143m per game. Papali’i is definitely worth bringing home averaging 115m per game and could fill second row and spells in the front row, but I think we’d need more. Perhaps BHU? but injuries do worry me with him, he averages 94m per game. If injuries aren’t a factor I’d be keen to see Papali’i and BHU come our way.

When you consider AFB averages 171m per game, I think that’s what we need to cover and can’t see one player doing that unless we manage to get JFH, who averages 130m per game or Taumalolo who averages 143m per game. Papali’i is definitely worth bringing home averaging 115m per game and could fill second row and spells in the front row, but I think we’d need more. Perhaps BHU? but injuries do worry me with him, he averages 94m per game. If injuries aren’t a factor I’d be keen to see Papali’i and BHU come our way.
Yeah for sure, I deffo don't think it's a simple like for like replacement, I do actually think we'll get 2 players, but I'm guessing one of them will be like a BHU who is off contract, and then someone else like Papalli who hopefully brings his Eels 150m+ a game form back.

But yeah Fisher-Harris would be the absolute tippy top of the dream list for replacements.

I do think we'll hear something before Christmas tho - about a week ago we were saying all options - including AFB staying past 2024 - were still on the cards. All of a sudden he signs with Cronulla and we just let that go, especially how upset/worried fans were. I'm sure the club will announce something for our Christmas stockings.

Yeah for sure, I deffo don't think it's a simple like for like replacement, I do actually think we'll get 2 players, but I'm guessing one of them will be like a BHU who is off contract, and then someone else like Papalli who hopefully brings his Eels 150m+ a game form back.

But yeah Fisher-Harris would be the absolute tippy top of the dream list for replacements.

I do think we'll hear something before Christmas tho - about a week ago we were saying all options - including AFB staying past 2024 - were still on the cards. All of a sudden he signs with Cronulla and we just let that go, especially how upset/worried fans were. I'm sure the club will announce something for our Christmas stockings.
Yeah I agree, the club will be knowing there’s disappointment amongst fans after they had said in multiple places that they want someone of similar ilk in order to release him. I agree something likely gets done quickly.

To be fair, I think we may not necessarily see these numbers (171m average) AFB has produced with the Warriors at the Sharks as they have a stronger forward rotation than the Warriors.

The Warriors have had to put a lot of reliance on AFB producing these numbers as we don't have that next prop delivering 150+ meters in support. Therefore, will the Sharks get the same AFB that the Warriors have had for the past few seasons. He will be entering 30 when at the Sharks so we might be getting the better part of AFB in Warriors colours.

Unless we can land an elite Prop, we will get what is required to do the job and rely on the wider talent of our squad to produce the goods overall.

I hope the cooling period is why we haven't heard anything; it is killing me is that when Tomkins was announced as being released, RTS was announced the same day. When Walsh was released, CNK was announced the same day. But this time we have released AFB, anddd....

Fingers crossed we hear something before the new year, but I think we are looking at something closer to the RTS/Walsh situation, where we will have to wait a while yet- RTS announced to be released in Jan 21, Walsh announced in March 21

I hope the cooling period is why we haven't heard anything; it is killing me is that when Tomkins was announced as being released, RTS was announced the same day. When Walsh was released, CNK was announced the same day. But this time we have released AFB, anddd....

Fingers crossed we hear something before the new year, but I think we are looking at something closer to the RTS/Walsh situation, where we will have to wait a while yet- RTS announced to be released in Jan 21, Walsh announced in March 21
Could very well be that cooling period, we waived the right as there was no point negotiating because of the situation.

The scenario itself isn't ridiculous but when JFH is contracted to the end of 2026 and there has been nothing of any substance to suggest him getting an early release to come here I think it's fair to say we're dreaming.

Now I don't have a problem with people dreaming, but let's own it. 😁
Haha yeah I'm definitely dreaming but one of those dreams is bound to come true because I've discussed at least 20 different blokes on here :ROFLMAO:.
Mind u that's probably not all that different to what our management done- come up with a big list- put a line through half of them pretty quick then tried to work out a way they could get the ones who were left (there's many ways to skin a cat...).
I'm of the belief we've already got someone (I don't believe we agreed to a deal this early just to give the sharks fans a merry xmas) and I'm expecting its someone with ties to nz but then it could be someone left field too- who saw capewell coming?
I really rate the cappy/ webby brains trust so that gives me comfort.

Braden Hamlin-Uele will definitely be better than the average prop but……..

End of season stats when Cronulla’s season was still up in the air aren’t good.

According to league live app.
Round 23. Rabbitohs (a) win 26-16. Run meters 50m, tackles 19 from 21, 2 tackle breaks and 1 offload.

Round 24. Titans (h) win 36-6. Run meters 78m, tackles 23 of 29, 2 tackle breaks.

Round 25. Cowboys (a) win 32-12. Run meters 61m, tackles 26 of 28, 1 tackle break.

Round 26. Knights (a) lose 6-32. Run meters 65m, tackles 27 of 35, 2 tackle breaks.

Round 27. Raider (h) win 24-6. Run meters 80m, tackles 17-19, 1 tackle break.

Didn’t play in the finals.
I kinda hope he was playing injured cause these are pretty average numbers. Bunty can do this for literally half the price.

Back