Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
That poster from the panthers is very much in the know at that club, will be interesting to keep an eye on that Luai rumour. Would be crazy if we got JFH for 2025 and that gives them the money to keep Luai. Likely nothing there but lots of possibilities.

A lot of dreaming going on in this forum over this off season.. Especially around Sharks and cap relief. It's not the NBA. The only form of cap relief possible is a club paying freight to get someone to leave the club, like what happened to DWZ.

We aren't getting anything from the Sharks, just some good faith and putting the end to the contract saga nice and early, rather than dragging out all of 2024.

Hmm seems odd to get nothing in return (from a player stance) after all of our bravado about being in a power position- feels a bit hollow.
Just hope it’s a situation where we have the gap filled from elsewhere

I'm not surprised.

The difference in prior situations was it was for the upcoming season. This is for 2025.

I'm happy it's done. We have clarity and money to spend for 2025.

Does it not? When a player is released early with the club paying some of the cap i.e dwz it does. I know this is the other way round so quite possibly not.
Not sure of the specifics in this situation but say DWZ has a contract with the dogs worth $800k. The dogs decide this is not a good contract for them, they have young talent coming through they could promote for $300k. They cannot simply release him without giving him his money. The Warriors say they are prepared to sign him for $400k. The Bulldogs still owe DWZ the balance being $400k and this still counts against their cap. The Warriors potentially get a good value for money signing but they don't get any cash or cap relief, just a player for $400k. DWZ still gets his $800k.

I think Lodge counted against our cap after he left but we never gave the Roosters any money or cap relief.

A lot of dreaming going on in this forum over this off season.. Especially around Sharks and cap relief. It's not the NBA. The only form of cap relief possible is a club paying freight to get someone to leave the club, like what happened to DWZ.

We aren't getting anything from the Sharks, just some good faith and putting the end to the contract saga nice and early, rather than dragging out all of 2024.
Not sure why anyone is dreaming? We had the dally m prop who unfortunately needs or wants to leave, we’ve got the first origin player we’ve attracted to the club since Lillyman- albeit likely ex origin player in Capewell citing wanting to link up with Webster. I don’t think it’s dreaming at all that a proud Kiwi who’s won multiple titles might be keen to head home with the only Kiwi team pressing for their first premiership under that same coach that he’s also played under. Dreams are free anyway, compassionate grounds seems to be an acceptable way to get out of a contract.

I’m happy AFB is going to the sharks, as opposed to him going to the Dragons, Tigers or Bulldogs.
Especially if 1. AFB is so crucial and him leaving is detrimental.
2. We aren’t getting anything besides money in return via a trade or whatever.

It’s better to keep/make a good team a little stronger, then make one of the weaker ones a lot stronger.

How does 2025 look for us in regards to recruitment to replace AFB? I believe CG, Cappy and Webby will sort something out.

I’m happy AFB is going to the sharks, as opposed to him going to the Dragons, Tigers or Bulldogs.
Especially if 1. AFB is so crucial and him leaving is detrimental.
2. We aren’t getting anything besides money in return via a trade or whatever.

It’s better to keep/make a good team a little stronger, then make one of the weaker ones a lot stronger.

How does 2025 look for us in regards to recruitment to replace AFB? I believe CG, Cappy and Webby will sort something out.
It sounds as though there may be agitating from the sharks behind the scenes to get him for 2024.

I don’t think it’s dreaming at all that a proud Kiwi who’s won multiple titles might be keen to head home with the only Kiwi team pressing for their first premiership under that same coach that he’s also played under.

The scenario itself isn't ridiculous but when JFH is contracted to the end of 2026 and there has been nothing of any substance to suggest him getting an early release to come here I think it's fair to say we're dreaming.

Now I don't have a problem with people dreaming, but let's own it. 😁

The scenario itself isn't ridiculous but when JFH is contracted to the end of 2026 and there has been nothing of any substance to suggest him getting an early release to come here I think it's fair to say we're dreaming.

Also was an article about Luai where they said they haven't given an early release in the past and not giving one now.

“He will be playing here. We haven’t released any players before, and under no circumstances will Jarome be going anywhere for 2024. After that, we just wish him and his family all the best.”

Totally owning it but I was just trying to point out the club have actually achieved some pretty big signings in just the couple of examples I listed and that some of the posts about the club bending over for the sharks might be a bit premature, hopefully anyway. And the calibre of them shouldn’t think it’s dreaming that any player is a possibility, within reason of course. Noted though that without even a rumour it’s a long bow to draw. Certainly worth targeting a Kiwi if compassionate grounds has worked for AFB and Rudolf to back out of a deal a couple of years back.

Totally owning it but I was just trying to point out the club have actually achieved some pretty big signings in just the couple of examples I listed and that some of the posts about the club bending over for the sharks might be a bit premature, hopefully anyway. And the calibre of them shouldn’t think it’s dreaming that any player is a possibility, within reason of course. Noted though that without even a rumour it’s a long bow to draw. Certainly worth targeting a Kiwi if compassionate grounds has worked for AFB and Rudolf to back out of a deal a couple of years back.
Yeah, I agree with all of that. Totally worth targeting one of the quality kiwi middles running round for other clubs and if there's an angle we can work to get them for 2025 or sooner I'm all for it.

Ofcourse there will be.

To which they can read our middle finger that has a tatoo on it saying "get fucked"

Karma for Metcalf
The Sharks waiting for the Warriors to release AFB for 2024 is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt.

As Jack Gibson said (oh, okay, would have said if he was a Warriors fan in December 2023!)

But, one sign of a shitty attitude and if I'm CG, I'mma pack his and Ana's bags for 'em, drive them to the airport personally and throw them through into the Customs area so they can't come back..

Back