Position/s
  1. Prop
Nickname
Tooks
Warrior #
Warriors Debut Date
Feb 6, 2000
Warriors Debut Details
February 6 2000, Round 1 vs Melbourne Storm at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2000
  2. 2001
  3. 2002
  4. 2003
  5. 2004
Signed From
Parramatta Eels
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Tookey
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/mark-tookey/summary.html

mt.wellington

Contributor

Mark Tookey (born 9 March 1977) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1990 and 2000s. He played as a prop in Australia for the South Queensland Crushers and the Parramatta Eels as well as the New Zealand Warriors. Tookey then played in the Super League for the Castleford Tigers (Heritage No. 817) and the Harlequins RL.

Tookey was born in Paddington, New South Wales and raised in Brisbane, Queensland, playing his junior rugby league for Logan Brothers and Springwood Tigers. In 1994, he represented the Queensland under-17 side.

Tookey commenced his premiership playing career with the South Queensland Crushers debuting during the 1996 ARL season. That season he represented the Queensland under-19 side. He then moved to the Parramatta Eels and later joined the Auckland Warriors. He played for the Warriors at prop forward in their 2002 NRL Grand Final loss to the Sydney Roosters.

In 2004 Tookey started playing in the Super League for English club the Castleford Tigers, later moving to the London Broncos/Harlequins RL.

Following to his retirement as a player, Tookey was in 2009 the assistant coach of the Tongan side. He later worked as a Development Officer for the Canberra Raiders with their associated club Souths Logan Magpies.

Tookey ran as an independent candidate in Division 5 in the 2016 Logan City Council election, which was being held on 19 March.

In November 2018, Tookey played for Parramatta in the Legends of League tournament held in Gosford. The side was captained by Nathan Hindmarsh and made it to the preliminary final before being defeated by The Barbarians.

In November 2019, Tookey played for Parramatta in the Legends of League Tournament, held in Broadmeadow, NSW. The side was captained by Nathan Hindmarsh, they made it to the grand final, and beating the Canterbury Team in the Final.

Massive forward made a name for himself as a ‘super-sub’ with P’matta before signing a huge contract with the Warriors. Tookey struggled to find form with the club, even playing for feeder club Newtown in the Metropolitan Cup competition, but he fought his way back and was in the Warriors’ starting lineup in the 2002 grand final. Midway through the 2004 season, Tookey joined Castleford in the English club’s bid to avoid relegation in 2004. When the club ultimately dropped out of the Super League competition he switched to the London Broncos for 2005.
- ALAN WHITICKER

After the titans game this year my boy was having trouble getting autographs when I saw tooks walking around so I yelled out to him- he looked shocked anyone would want his but he came straight over, signed my boys warriors jersey and wished him all the best- lovely guy.
On the way home I put tookeys highlights on for him- he couldn't believe he used to be a prop- looks pretty fit these days.

Before the home playoff game this year I was having a few beers with a Knights fan mate that had flown over.

He asked whatever happened to Tooks as he used to love watching him - I mentioned he was always one of my favourite players as a young fella too.

Who do I end up bumping into later that day at the game? Of course, Tooks. Gracious guy and happy to get a photo and listen to me badger on about god knows what.