Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
First things first, we cannot keep a guy around that is desperate to get out, while I also agree with not just letting people walk without conditions, so well played Warriors so far
Ideally we find a way to cut Fonua Blake this year, that is favorable to us in some way, (yes I know there is no replacement for him, I am not talking like for like, when I say favorable I mean better than nothing).

Failing that, if AFB tanks, we roll with the young guns and target any placing in the eight as best we can.

Trying to put a positive spin on the AFB departure……the main thing I can think of is that is isn’t really sustainable to be paying $1m+ for a prop. We can only do it this year due to our cut price halfback.
All the teams with consistent success (panthers, rooster, storm) only pay around $750k for thier top prop. All the big money under the cap goes to the spine!!
Yeah idk about that- jfh is reportedly on $950,000 and Hass 1.2 mil.
Props are some of the highest paid players in the modern game and elite ones are rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:
Maybe 10 years ago!
He only left in 2021 hardly a decade, I would imagine he would have a good relationship with Webby. He was a key member of the Kiwis under Kearney when they had were the top test side. Can't be too bad if the London Broncs are so devo at loosing him. Surely he would come cheap.

Can anyone post the DT article re eligibility?
One of Michael Maguire’s first jobs as NSW coach will be to provide advice on an overhaul of the State of Origin eligibility rules.
ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce wants to be in position to put forward a plan for Origin’s future early in 2024, with a view to having new rules in place for next year’s series.

The biggest bone of contention is whether Origin should be open to players who meet the state guidelines but have pledged their allegiance to tier one nations England and New Zealand.

The rule change would allow the likes of Victor Radley to wear a Blues jersey despite playing their international football for the Poms.

Pearce wants to speak to the Origin coaches, which means Maguire and Billy Slater will have direct input into the future of the respective jerseys and who wears them.

Proposed Origin eligibility rule changes means players like Victor Radley could represent NSW despite pledging his international allegiance to England. Picture: Getty Images

Proposed Origin eligibility rule changes means players like Victor Radley could represent NSW despite pledging his international allegiance to England. Picture: Getty Images
Interestingly, Maguire may have been conflicted had he retained the New Zealand job. His only concern now is NSW and you suspect Maguire would be keen to have the option of selecting Radley if possible, particularly given the way the Blues have performed in recent years.

Likewise, Slater could suddenly have Jason Taumalolo at his disposal if the rules are changed Origin is opened up to a new group of players.

The issue has been a discussion point for years but ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has charged Pearce with plotting a way forward, while at the same time ensuring the Origin concept isn’t diluted.

One of Michael Maguire’s first jobs as NSW coach will be to provide advice on an overhaul of the State of Origin eligibility rules.
ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce wants to be in position to put forward a plan for Origin’s future early in 2024, with a view to having new rules in place for next year’s series.

The biggest bone of contention is whether Origin should be open to players who meet the state guidelines but have pledged their allegiance to tier one nations England and New Zealand.

The rule change would allow the likes of Victor Radley to wear a Blues jersey despite playing their international football for the Poms.

Pearce wants to speak to the Origin coaches, which means Maguire and Billy Slater will have direct input into the future of the respective jerseys and who wears them.

Interestingly, Maguire may have been conflicted had he retained the New Zealand job. His only concern now is NSW and you suspect Maguire would be keen to have the option of selecting Radley if possible, particularly given the way the Blues have performed in recent years.

Likewise, Slater could suddenly have Jason Taumalolo at his disposal if the rules are changed Origin is opened up to a new group of players.

The issue has been a discussion point for years but ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has charged Pearce with plotting a way forward, while at the same time ensuring the Origin concept isn’t diluted.
It would be interesting to know which kiwis would actually be eligible- I'm sure mcguire is a lot more excited about afb than radley.
Also wonder if someone like ponga might now change allegiance to the kiwis- don't think he's ever actually repped oz yet?

I heard JFH on $750k….

Yep broncos are about to find out how hard it is to upgrade your spine with a prop on a mill. Already lost some good players this year and more to go.
I get the importance of a great spine but didn't we have one of the most daunting spines in the history of spines in 1. RTS 6. Foran 7. SJ 9. Luke?

Who were our props when he had the best spine on paper?

I am happy to spend big on props if they can do what AFB and Haas do. Salary cap is not my forté to be frank though 😁

Funny how we worry about Tohu lasting and here he is signing another contract.

The best back rower in the Clubs history.

Being a NZ side we are spoiled.

Something in the milk here produces back row forwards, real greats, consistently, more than any other position by some distance.

Kearney was the first of the Warrior greats.

Ali by most fans calculations eclipsed that, not mine, I liked the way Kearney was a mongrel that a lot of forwards feared, people like Adrian Morley are scared of him. And he still looks like a Psycho.

Then the GOAT defender Simon Mannering who fairly could be called the greatest till Tohu signed with the Warriors.

Tohu has a bit of all those greats I named, he can defend like Mannering, is as tough at playing on one leg, he can ball play better than both Kearney and Ali, because he has half backs hands, he can lay on conventional passes unlike the magic hands thing that Ali and Kearney etc relied on.

He is the new GOAT of Warriors back rowers, hell he was even better at the Storm, and is in the conversation for greatest Warrior, certainly he has proved one of our great Captains....and greatest player.

Happy days.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know which kiwis would actually be eligible- I'm sure mcguire is a lot more excited about afb than radley.
Also wonder if someone like ponga might now change allegiance to the kiwis- don't think he's ever actually repped oz yet?
Will only be a trickle of players capitizing on this initially. This will happen ever so slowly. Jase playing for the Maroons has been on the cards for some time.

Will only be a trickle of players capitizing on this initially. This will happen ever so slowly. Jase playing for the Maroons has been on the cards for some time.
Will taumalolo actually qualify though? thought he got to aust after 13- although they could always tweak that too so the likes of leota and mulitalo could sneak in too...

Taumololo isn't playing for the Kiwis, he is a Tongan rep, not a big deal. If they loosen it up for the other two would be interesting, this does explain a little bit more on why Madge left. I still expect Madge to have a role with the Kiwis perhaps at a later date, feel he has some unfinished business. Wonder if this willl make Dylan Walker eligible to play for the Kiwis.

Last edited:
He only left in 2021 hardly a decade, I would imagine he would have a good relationship with Webby. He was a key member of the Kiwis under Kearney when they had were the top test side. Can't be too bad if the London Broncs are so devo at loosing him. Surely he would come cheap.
Just takes up a spot that we are better off keeping open for a young gun to cut their teeth.

Funny how we worry about Tohu lasting and here he is signing another contract.

The best back rower in the Clubs history.

Being a NZ side we are spoiled.

Something in the milk here produces back row forwards, real greats, consistently, more than any other position by some distance.

Kearney was the first of the Warrior greats.

Ali by most fans calculations eclipsed that, not mine, I liked the way Kearney was a mongrel that a lot of forwards feared, people like Adrian Morley are scared of him. And he still looks like a Psycho.

Then the GOAT defender Simon Mannering who fairly could be called the greatest till Tohu signed with the Warriors.

Tohu has a bit of all those greats I named, he can defend like Mannering, is as tough at playing on one leg, he can ball play better than both Kearney and Ali, because he has half backs hands, he can lay on conventional passes unlike the magic hands thing that Ali and Kearney etc relied on.

He is the new GOAT of Warriors back rowers, hell he was even better at the Storm, and is in the conversation for greatest Warrior, certainly he has proved one of our great Captain....and greatest player.

Happy days.
Absolutely love his speech in the video on the Warriors instagram page, he stood up and addressed the team and said “there’s only one reason I’m playing on, that’s to win a title with you boys”. Will go down as one of the Warriors best, if not the best by the time he hangs his boots up.