Weight (kg)
109 kg
Position/s
  1. Prop
Warrior #
Warriors Debut Date
Sep 20, 2020
Warriors Debut Details
September 20 2020, Round 19 vs Canberra Raiders at GIO Stadium, Canberra, Australia
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2020
  2. 2021
  3. 2022
  4. 2023
  5. 2024
Signed From
Rotorua Boys' High School RU
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Ale
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/tom-ale/summary.html
NameThomas Ale
Born01 April 1999 (Auckland, New Zealand)
Height183cm
Weight109kg
PositionProp, Lock, Second Row
Warriors Player Number#250
Warriors DebutRound 19 vs. Canberra Raiders, 20 September 2020
Warriors Career2020-
Representative-
Junior ClubMount Albert Lions

Tom Ale (born 1 April 1999) is a professional rugby league footballer who plays prop, second-row, and lock for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League (NRL).

Ale made his first grade debut in round 19 of the 2020 NRL season for the New Zealand Warriors against the Canberra Raiders. Ale played 19 games for the New Zealand Warriors in the 2023 NRL season as the club finished 4th on the table and qualified for the finals.

Tom caught the eye as a schoolboy rugby union star, impressing for the Rotorua Boys' High School First XV where one of his teammates was fellow Vodafone Warrior Hayze Perham.

He represented the New Zealand Schoolboys rugby league side in 2018 and the Junior Kiwis in 2018.

The former under-20s forward spent almost all of the 2020 season training with the club’s wider squad on the Central Coast before being rewarded with his NRL debut from the interchange in the 19th round clash against the Canberra Raiders.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 10.33.17 AM.png
Screenshot from the official Warriors site of Tom Ale as of 17/10/2023...

Last edited by a moderator:
What a year from Webster and the Warriors, just can't praise them enough. Superb showing!

However there is one lump in my throat that frustrates me and that is the misuse of Tom Ale.

As a junior player Tom Ale was one of the more exceptional talents, regularly carving off record amounts of meters carting the ball up in every game.

As he transitioned into the NRL, while wide and solid, he was somewhat undersized compared to other props. One team that nailed the position he should play was the Redcliffe Dolphins.

In his extended stint at the Dolphins Tom Ale was the Dolphins best player week in and week out playing in the lock/13 position.

In Queensland cup and was a complete menace and wrecked/dominated opposition week after week. Chewing through Broncos/Cowboys/TItans and Storm players like they junior players. Manhandling them with ease. He was dam well boarding on prime-tackle busting Jason Taumalolo levels of impact in games while running Briton Nikora type lines.

Since returning back to New Zealand , The Warriors fascination with Jazz Tavaga/Dylan Walker at lock likely saw Tom Ale placed back in 'he's a prop box'. Walker has been outstanding which is fair enough. The consequence has been that the exceptional talent form Tom Ale displayed with the Dolphins in the QLD cup has been severely limited by the Warriors turning him into a one dimensional player.

I feel Webby and staff really screwed up with Tom Ale this season. He is a way better player than he displayed this year and if there was ever a player who could leave the club and instantly become a much better player it is this guy. He reminds he a lot of when the Warriors let both Fuifui Moimoi and Manu Maʻu leave their system because they couldn't fit them in the side.

I don't want the Warriors to loser Tom Ale. At prop he is average but on the fringes and edge, with the ability loom and pick his lines he has devastating impact capability in the right set up.

Webby please...see the light... or at least the Dolphins reserve grade tapes where Ale was in beast mode week in/week out. You have a weapon waiting there for you to use.

I'm sorry but this is one black mark against Webby and the coaching team this year.

Given Ale played 13 for the Cup side last week, I was kind of hoping his first stint would be starting at 13 before Walker came on in his usual "injection" role and likely play out the match. Then Ale would come on as a prop in his second stint after a break (similar to how we use Tohu, but without the crash/bash of the first 20 that Afoa has mastered).

What a year from Webster and the Warriors, just can't praise them enough. Superb showing!

However there is one lump in my throat that frustrates me and that is the misuse of Tom Ale.

As a junior player Tom Ale was one of the more exceptional talents, regularly carving off record amounts of meters carting the ball up in every game.

As he transitioned into the NRL, while wide and solid, he was somewhat undersized compared to other props. One team that nailed the position he should play was the Redcliffe Dolphins.

In his extended stint at the Dolphins Tom Ale was the Dolphins best player week in and week out playing in the lock/13 position.

In Queensland cup and was a complete menace and wrecked/dominated opposition week after week. Chewing through Broncos/Cowboys/TItans and Storm players like they junior players. Manhandling them with ease. He was dam well boarding on prime-tackle busting Jason Taumalolo levels of impact in games while running Briton Nikora type lines.

Since returning back to New Zealand , The Warriors fascination with Jazz Tavaga/Dylan Walker at lock likely saw Tom Ale placed back in 'he's a prop box'. Walker has been outstanding which is fair enough. The consequence has been that the exceptional talent form Tom Ale displayed with the Dolphins in the QLD cup has been severely limited by the Warriors turning him into a one dimensional player.

I feel Webby and staff really screwed up with Tom Ale this season. He is a way better player than he displayed this year and if there was ever a player who could leave the club and instantly become a much better player it is this guy. He reminds he a lot of when the Warriors let both Fuifui Moimoi and Manu Maʻu leave their system because they couldn't fit them in the side.

I don't want the Warriors to loser Tom Ale. At prop he is average but on the fringes and edge, with the ability loom and pick his lines he has devastating impact capability in the right set up.

Webby please...see the light... or at least the Dolphins reserve grade tapes where Ale was in beast mode week in/week out. You have a weapon waiting there for you to use.

I'm sorry but this is one black mark against Webby and the coaching team this year.
They needed a first grade prop, he can play prop. It's really not more complicated than that.

Sometimes as a player you have to just do what's best for the team.

Maybe when Tohu retires we will see Ale given his chance at lock tag teaming with Walker.

Lol whut? We have a lock/13 and hes the best in the game. Youre mad cos Webby wont bench him and start Ale? His entire season at 13 in Cup suggests that Webby is waaay ahead of you, and is grooming Ale to take over the jumper.

Walker is invaluable atm because of his ability to cover at 9.

Last edited:
Middle forward is a middle forward. If he's not producing more in the minutes he's given it's not really on anyone else.

Over the years we've had some NSW Cup beasts who failed to translate to first grade. It happens all the time.

He needs to be better than Harris, Walker, Tevaga, and evidently - he's not.

Yeah I’m a big fan- I thought he was great for us this year- he’s definitely got more footy in him but I’d imagine they wanted to keep it simple for him this year.
Unlucky to be forced out of the side now the packs full strength but if he’s needed in the finals I’d be 100% confident he can come in and play a role.

He is lucky to get any NRL time.

It should tell him that he is wanted at the club and that the Coach thinks that it is better to play him 'out of position' than leave him lacking exposure in the NSW cup.

As others have said, there are two issues, one we have top 13's and two we needed the best person from Cup to play prop.

The Coaches will understand that he is not going to set the world on fire out of position as you say (unless the plan is to transition him into a prop in which case that is a whole other argument and the Coaches know it takes years for a prop convert so young to become a top prop).

I am sure Tom Ale got that sit down all the players had, the one where the player explained where they like to play, where they are best suited,. and I am sure Webby said along the lines of, if we need you will you play prop?

Coz that is how this new age Webster coaching model roles.

I'd only heard of him before seeing him this year and as has been said in 1st grade he gets manhandled. If there is a better use of him then I'd support it. We have a great supply of short by 1st grade standards fullas. He reminded me a bit of Solomone Kata body shape wise. I want every bloke at their best so if there's a space for him as an edge sub perhaps do it.

He's played lock the last two weeks in cup hasn't he? I think he's a lock also, how's his ball playing? He can eat metres and tackle.

I think he's had a good season and will kick on but he needs to just play at the moment. So not fussed he's at prop and he's actually had a few good games at prop.

Very encouraging he's played decent minutes at cup.

They needed a first grade prop, he can play prop. It's really not more complicated than that.

Sometimes as a player you have to just do what's best for the team.

Maybe when Tohu retires we will see Ale given his chance at lock tag teaming with Walker.
That's the issue right there.

You play best at A, you're also pretty handy at B.

Your current club has a dang good A, so you're playing B. Do you quit your current club, which is headed for finals football, because you're not playing your best position, for a wooden spoon team which is looking for you to play A, or do you wait?

It's only an issue if Tom's said that he's frustrated with the situation, which as far as I'm aware (ie reading media) he hasn't.

Tom's 24, in the last few years he's had to sit out because of the whole COVID debacle and then tore his ACL.

He's effectively played just over a year of footy (has played like 23 of the last 29 games) since returning.

It usually takes you a little bit of time to get back to your best after that kinda injury I believe. Couple that with being behind Tohu and us needing a prop at the moment, I'm not too bothered. It's a team first mentality and he comes across as a good clubman.

Hopefully he gets a bit of finals footy exposure the next few weeks, and this time next year we've got a player who's 25, coming in to the prime of his life with 50 games under his belt, and likely Tohu slowing down.

Imo that is when we're going to see him shine, and I'm really looking forward to it.