• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
Langi-Veainu-032.jpg

Player Langi Veainu

Full Name
Langi Veainu
Date of Birth
Nov 3, 1993
Birth Location
Kawakawa, New Zealand
Nationality
  1. 🇳🇿 New Zealand
  2. 🇹🇴 Tonga
Height (cm)
169 cm
Weight (kg)
72 kg
Position/s
  1. Centre
  2. Winger
Nickname
Lungs
Warrior #
NRL Debut Date
Sep 8, 2018
NRL Debut Details
WNRL 2018, Round 1, Sydney Roosters v NZ Warriors
Warriors Debut Date
Sep 8, 2018
Warriors Debut Details
WNRL 2018, Round 1, Sydney Roosters v NZ Warriors
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2018
  2. 2019
Signed To
Chiefs Manawa
Signed From
Otahuhu Leopards
Junior Club/s
Papakura Sisters, Otahuhu Leopards
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langi_Veainu
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/langi-veainu/summary.html

mt.wellington

Contributor

Langi Veainu (born 3 November 1993) is a New Zealand rugby league and rugby union footballer. She previously played for the New Zealand Warriors in the NRL Women's Premiership and has represented New Zealand in both codes.

Born in Kawakawa, Veainu grew up in Christchurch before moving to Auckland with her family following the 2011 Christchurch earthquake.

Her older brother, Telusa, is a Tonga rugby union international.

In 2016, while playing for the Papakura Sisters, Veainu represented Counties Manukau. On 6 May 2016, she made her Test debut for New Zealand, starting on the wing in their 26–16 win over Australia in Newcastle.

On 5 May 2017, she started on the wing for New Zealand in a 4–16 loss to Australia in Canberra.

In 2018, she played for the Otahuhu Leopards.

On 1 August 2018, she was announced as a member of the New Zealand Warriors NRL Women's Premiership squad. In Round 1 of the 2018 NRL Women's season, she made her debut for the Warriors in a 10–4 win over the Sydney Roosters.

On 13 October 2018, she started on the wing and scored two tries for New Zealand in a 24–26 loss to Australia in Auckland.

In 2014, Veainu began playing for Counties Manukau in the Farah Palmer Cup.

In November 2019, she played for the Black Ferns Development XV at the Oceania Rugby Women's Championship in Lautoka, Fiji. She scored a try in their group game against Australia A and two against Papua New Guinea.

On 14 November 2020, she made her debut for the Black Ferns, scoring two tries in a 34–15 win over the New Zealand Barbarians in West Auckland.

NZWarriors.com

Tongan influence brings Sea Eagle to Otahuhu​

60166_wo.png

The Otahuhu women’s rugby league team will field a more experienced side this year with New Zealand and Tongan international, Langi Veainu, joining the pack.

Veainu’s latest outing at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, where she represented Tonga, influenced her decision to join the Leopards for 2018.

“Representing my family at the Commonwealth Games was a huge deal after all they have done for me, it was a humbling experience I will never forget,” she said.

“I just want to be with some of my best friends at Otahuhu, I’m excited to be a part of a new sisterhood and play in the blue and white jersey.”

Otahuhu’s player/coach Teuila Fotu-Moala, said Veainu will be a huge asset to the backline.

“I needed to play in the halves most of the season last year to help run the backline, but with Langi now playing with us she will add more flare, speed in the back three,” she said.

“She will also add experience to our side which, is great for the development of our younger girls, who will have her to look up to.”

Fotu-Moala enters her second year with the dual role in the team, and said she is excited by what she’s seen this pre-season.

“I’ve been with Otahuhu since 2013 and wanted to teach everything I have learned, to make other people better players in the game,” she said.

“I’m not just talking about game strategy, I’m talking about character building, leadership, mentality and empowerment.

“I love seeing development through people, whether it's in their game, or just the way they are as people, it’s what makes me happy, seeing people become something and be good people on and off the field.”

The Otahuhu Leopards also have five other Tongan representatives Lilieta Maumau-Pinomi, Eesha Smalley, as well as Noia and Leio Fotu-Moala (sisters of Teuila Fotu-Moala).

Kiwi Fern Langi Veainu following in brother’s footsteps​

With their first game of the NRL Women’s Premiership against the Roosters done and dusted, winger Langi Veainu has been able to tap into some valuable advice.

She is the sister of rugby player, Telusa Veainu, who played for the Highlanders, Crusaders and Rebels before heading to Leicester in the English Premiership.

Telusa is three years older than Langi and although he lives on the other side of the world, she says they stay in regular contact, particularly before each big game Langi plays.

“We always chat,” Langi said.

“Before I go out onto the field he calls me or sends a message and gives me tips like stay calm and focus on my role, for me to do my job out there and then everything else will come naturally.”

Telusa is best remembered in New Zealand for a stunning 95m try he scored for the Crusaders against the Highlanders in 2013, showing an incredible sidestep and turn of pace, that’s clearly a family trait.

“It gave me motivation to compete,” Langi said of how Telusa inspired her.

“There was the feeling that I want to be just like my brother and be on the world stage, showcasing my talent.

“I’d watch him train and play and that motivated me to want to be like him. He was definitely a big help.”

Sport has always been a big thing in the Veainu family. Langi has six brothers and four sisters and she describes her parents as ‘amazing.’

Naturally in such a big family, there was a fair amount of competition among the siblings.

“We were always having cricket games and playing different kinds of sports out on the front lawn, competing with each other,” Langi said.

“It was always fun to come together and compete with each other in sports, while we did have a few scraps here and there!”

Langi and Telusa aren’t the only ones keen on a sporting career, their sister, Katofoekina is in the Counties Manukau rugby team and her younger brothers have been making strides in rugby and league.

Her career has advanced further in league, having already played for the Kiwi Ferns and she’s still unsure what she’d do if both national teams wanted her.

However, the 24-year-old is reaching her peak at a crucial time in both codes for women as players are now getting paid and it’s becoming that can be considered a serious career move.

“It’s definitely a huge opportunity to play and get paid for it,” she said.

“I’m grateful anyway for being able to play the sport I love, but having that pay on top is like a bonus.”

Capture-261x300.png

Kiwi Can Leader Langi Veainu​

Check out this story on amazing Kiwi Can Leader Langi Veainu who is an impressive sportswomen looking to secure the Black Fern jersey.

Warriors league star Langi Veainu is on the cusp of becoming a dual international as a Black Fern. As the Farah Palmer Cup rugby season gets underway, she tells of the mental battle she’s won to get this far.

Making sports history last year with the Warriors in the inaugural NRL women’s premiership was a career high point for Langi Veainu.

Appreciating the significance of the occasion as a first, and playing in front of her large family as a professional athlete, is a moment the 25-year old winger will always cherish.

“To be a part of the Warriors’ history is humbling. Having my family there to support and watch me run out on the field was everything,” says Veainu, who has a six-year-old daughter she calls her “main motivation”.

After a solid NRLW campaign, Veainu was rewarded with re-selection into the Kiwi Ferns – another career highlight, and a welcomed one, after experiencing her lowest point the season before.

Veainu made her Kiwi Ferns debut at the NRL Nines in 2016, but didn’t make the New Zealand squad for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

“To be honest, that was really hard,” she says. “I went through depression, because I didn’t know how to manage the rejection. It was my first time being dropped.”

Now, she says, it was the best thing to have happened to her.

Veainu credits her partner, Looch, and her dad, Tuakifalelei, with helping get her through the rough period, and then back into sport after a two-month break. The advice they both gave her at the time allowed Veainu to reflect and take ownership of her actions.

“Dad said it was a lesson from God because I wasn’t grounded enough. And he was right,” she says.

“My partner kept saying I could manage the situation two ways: do nothing about it or get back up and work harder.”

She chose the latter.

“At the time it obviously sucked, and I would cry most days. But, if I’m honest with myself, I wasn’t appreciating the honour of putting on the black jersey and representing New Zealand. I’m a better person for it.”

She’s now hoping to be part of more sporting history. Veainu has switched one black jersey in pursuit of another, after successfully trialling for the Black Ferns.

In a way, the powerful Tongan wing is returning to her original sporting love.

“Growing up in Christchurch I only played rugby and touch; I’d never really heard of rugby league,” she admits.

Veainu moved to Auckland with her family after Christchurch’s devastating earthquake in 2011, and friends asked her to fill in for their rugby league team.

“That’s how it all started. I would play rugby on Saturdays and league on Sundays,” says Veainu.

Having played both codes at a professional level, Veainu says she has no preference – she just loves playing sport.

For now, she wants to concentrate on getting the little things right, enjoying the moments and working towards a Black Ferns debut – and ideally a spot in the 2021 Rugby World Cup team.

“That’s a long-term goal. but just being in the Black Ferns environment is an achievement and it’s super crazy. I buzz out every time I think about it because I’m training with players like Kendra [Cocksedge],” she says.

“Everything has gone by so fast since I was approached by the coaches at Counties Manukau training. I’m blessed to be here so I’m just taking it all in.”

Veainu is about to start her fifth season with the Counties Manukau Heat in the Farah Palmer Cup, which gets underway this weekend. The Heat are determined to go one better than last year, when they lost the grand final to Canterbury (Veainu scored an intercept try in the 13-7 loss).

After attending two camps and a trial game earlier this year, Veainu secured a contract with NZ Rugby, and made the first New Zealand Barbarians team to play against the Black Ferns.

“It was a privilege to play in that team. The girls have been good at sharing advice and reminding me to keep taking small steps towards my main goal,” says Veainu.

When she’s not lighting up the field, the mother of one is working to deliver the Graeme Dingle Foundation’s ‘Kiwi Can’ programme.

The initiative works with primary to intermediate school children, teaching values like respect, integrity and resilience.

“I learn so much from the programme and the kids,” Veainu says. “Although the work is dependent on funding, seeing them smile makes it worthwhile.”

The values go beyond the classroom, with Veainu and her partner applying the same teachings to their daughter, Laukuonga.

“My daughter’s name means Rock of Ages. My dad gave her a biblical name which means eternity rock; whatever concerns we have, she’ll always stand firm. And she’s lived up to her name,” Veainu says.

“She has been my rock through everything. She teaches me the little things in life, like gratitude and patience, even though she doesn’t know it.”

Laukuonga – or ‘Kwonka’ as her family affectionately know her – also attends trainings and watches Veainu and her team-mates put in the hard yards.

“It teaches her about work ethic and shows her the realities of life – sometimes we don’t always get what we want, but it’s how we handle it that matters. She will always be my main motivation, along with my family, for continuing to play sport,” says Veainu.

Coming from a family of six brothers and four sisters, there is no shortage of support and advice.

Her older brother, Telusa Veainu, played for the Highlanders, Crusaders, and Rebels in Super Rugby before going to play for Leicester in the English Premiership.

There’s healthy sibling banter between the two. But, as the only girl in her family to pursue sport as a career, Veainu wants to be open about her own experiences – the good and the bad – knowing it’s not always an easy path to choose, especially for women.

“I want to be real so people know, especially young girls, that sport, like life, has its ups and down,” she says.

“When I was going through depression it crushed me. But I have good support, so I managed to get on top of it. Imagine those girls who don’t? If speaking about it means it helps one person then that’s good.”

So, what advice does she have for those who may want to venture down a sporting pathway?

Give it your all, she says. Appreciate the little things and, more importantly, have fun. Remember why you want to achieve your goals, be yourself and enjoy your sport.

As the domestic rugby season gets underway, her own advice guides her towards the next goal – aiming to make more sporting history, in a different black jersey.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account