Player Konrad Hurrell

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I think Konnies laid back personality and our clubs 'previous' poor attitude to training have been the things to point the finger at.
There were days during the 2012 preseason where Bluey McClennan would have them run around and send them home before lunch. He didnt whip them like most coaches who have a clue about the NRL would and do. While most the other players went home you had a small handful like Elijah Taylor and Ben Henry staying behind and doing extras. Blueys lack of preseason had a direct bearing on the horror injury toll he had to put up with. The lack of strength and conditioning ill prepared the boys for the rigors of the NRLs long season.

This is the very system that Konrad Hurrell entered the 1st Grade under. Its a system that would have suited his lazy personality to a T and would have had a damaging impact on his progress and development.

That being said its not an excuse and Konnie is finally being called to account by a coach who isnt going to be blinded, like some fans, to his laziness. The biggest problem I think he has is that he is mentally weak and lacks the will to stop eating, rooting and fucking around at training. It cracks me up that some of the biggest critics of the 'Warriors Culture' and the need to change it are now making piss poor arguments in defence of Konnie's culture of laziness.

He's has the POTENTIAL to be a great player but he hasnt arrived there yet. If he doesnt change then he wont be worth the poison his laziness and poor training ethic will have on the rest of the team.

No one player is bigger than the team...

There were days during the 2012 preseason where Bluey McClennan would have them run around and send them home before lunch. He didnt whip them like most coaches who have a clue about the NRL would and do. While most the other players went home you had a small handful like Elijah Taylor and Ben Henry staying behind and doing extras. Blueys lack of preseason had a direct bearing on the horror injury toll he had to put up with. The lack of strength and conditioning ill prepared the boys for the rigors of the NRLs long season.

This is the very system that Konrad Hurrell entered the 1st Grade under. Its a system that would have suited his lazy personality to a T and would have had a damaging impact on his progress and development.

That being said its not an excuse and Konnie is finally being called to account by a coach who isnt going to be blinded, like some fans, to his laziness. The biggest problem I think he has is that he is mentally weak and lacks the will to stop eating, rooting and fucking around at training. It cracks me up that some of the biggest critics of the 'Warriors Culture' and the need to change it are now making piss poor arguments in defence of Konnie's culture of laziness.

He's has the POTENTIAL to be a great player but he hasnt arrived there yet. If he doesnt change then he wont be worth the poison his laziness and poor training ethic will have on the rest of the team.

Well that's pretty clear that it's not just about what konrad does on the field.

Reactions: Hitman82
That being said its not an excuse and Konnie is finally being called to account by a coach who isnt going to be blinded, like some fans, to his laziness.

Yeah, it's great that Matthew Elliot dropped him aye?

It cracks me up that some of the biggest critics of the 'Warriors Culture' and the need to change it are now making piss poor arguments in defence of Konnie's culture of laziness.

I haven't seen anybody making excuses... everyone who's made positive comments about Konrad's potential (and yes, other people have used that word in here before you) has offset the praise with a call for change and discipline in the way he's handled and handles himself.

I never get bored of seeing people quote that line haha. If Hurrell eats well over this Christmas he could actually be physically bigger than the rest of the team. And then you'd be wrong. Like my efforts at taking peoples' comments in context? Nearly as flash as yours! ;)

Maybe follow your own advice brah... I blamed Hurrell AND his mentors. I've also advocated his dropping and even once his release.

Can't be bothered replying at greater length to someone who can't be bothered reading my posts.

*as you were, sunshine

I didnt read the earlier posts/ thread/arguements.

The biggest person undermining this is his manager/management group.
As soon as he gets dropped, he is shopping him around (who knows maybe at Konrads instruction).
Making it seems other people fault.

Also cant blame it on Elliot because know McFadden has dropped him too.

Kava is an alternative to alcohol...it taste as average as some rums.
I would rather it than our team getting on the piss - there is honour in kava sessions.

Surely a strong culture cuts excuses - However the amount of times it has been used as a excuse is laugable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rizzah and Hitman82
I didnt read the earlier posts/ thread/arguements.

The biggest person undermining this is his manager/management group.
As soon as he gets dropped, he is shopping him around (who knows maybe at Konrads instruction).
Making it seems other people fault.

Also cant blame it on Elliot because know McFadden has dropped him too.

Kava is an alternative to alcohol...it taste as average as some rums.
I would rather our team getting on the piss - there is honour in kava sessions.

Surely a strong culture cuts excuses - However the amount of times it has been used as a excuse is laugable.

That's actually a really interesting way of looking at it. Fair to assume, as Hurrell has certainly been pimped out lately judging by all the media rumours. You're right his manager would be behind these... trying to pump up value and in a roundabout way threatening the Warriors if they come down too hard.

Work analogy again; asking my boss for a reference when I'm not happy with my pay rise, to try and show him I'm considering leaving haha. Never works for me!

Anyway back to your first point, if Hurrell's manager had a brain he'd be riding him the HARDEST to get him to put in 100% effort and make himself such a valuable commodity that he can never be dropped, and always guarantee big contracts. Hurrell being the easy going type, probably can't motivate himself.

Interesting. I've never considered the player managers' role in their product before.

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I haven't seen anybody making excuses... everyone who's made positive comments about Konrad's potential (and yes, other people have used that word in here before you) has offset the praise with a call for change and discipline in the way he's handled and handles himself.

You make the following excuses:

But sometimes you can't just apply the Rule of the Ruthless. Hurrell could turn up half pissed on game day, hangover pie still in hand, and probably stand a good chance of winning the game for us. I honestly believe that.

First thought is he's a young guy who grew up in the islands, probably from a very different cultural background to us. I'm not meaning to imply Tongans are lazy by nature, but there is the classic laid-back friendly islander stereotype which Konnie seems to typify.

Culture aside, I actually think he's just a chilled out, happy-go-lucky kind of guy.

He does not need to put in the extra yards at training and live a fascist health and fitness lifestyle. Natural talent can be a blessing and a curse.

Our club is a quagmire of agenda, unprofessional-ism and inefficiency. We constantly talk of signing "seasoned Australians" and "hardened veterans" to bring about a culture change, add professionalism and work ethic.

Then you make an honest assessment of Konnies laziness but then offer a piss poor excuse about it not being his fault:

Is Konrad Hurrell the architect of his own demise? Of course he is! He turned up fat and slow. He's missed opportunities to fine-tune his game. He's lacking in killer instinct to chase down a break.
But-
Are the Warriors as a club failing Konrad Hurrell ? Absolutely! Our coaches, selectors, contract-wranglers and CEO are the ones who allow players to develop indifference and laziness.

Was that in context ;)???

Reactions: Vancent

I understand that Bluey may not have created the most hardcore training environment, and that definitely showed in the results, but how do we explain the fact that the shitty team that played under Bluey didn't look much different the shitty team thats played under most every other coach we've had.

Too many jokes and back slapping, not enough determination and accountability.

Dont let him go.

If their are club options on Konnie and Locke (I would consider resigning them).
At worst they are probablly worth more to trade

OR maybe I watch too much NBA lol

Sign and trade

Reactions: Harlz
I understand that Bluey may not have created the most hardcore training environment, and that definitely showed in the results, but how do we explain the fact that the shitty team that played under Bluey didn't look much different the shitty team thats played under most every other coach we've had.

Every single team have a laugh and smile after a game.
Look at melbourne lost s a super tough game, they catch up with mates on the field, share a laugh.
Warriors might look because of the greater amount of polynesian who do it with bigger smiles, maybe the gold teeth makes it stand out.

Most teams wear polos after games - whenever I watch Fox games they are walking to game in a polo.

Yes - most teams dont have kava sessions , most teams get on the pi$$ and get up to stupid stuff.
Again - from all reports teams like Queensland - get on the Pi$$ harder than any other team in recent history and are without doubt one of the greatest side in RL history
So both again just excuses.

Those are all excuses and over simplication many posters complain about.
Im more worried about on field performances.

Than trying to pin point irrelevant stuff and they identify it as the reason why they loose.

Mcfadden has made a point with Konny - more open thatn anybody else.
Warriors have also spoken openly about looking at centre and backrowers.

Every single team have a laugh and smile after a game.
Look at melbourne lost s a super tough game, they catch up with mates on the field, share a laugh.
Warriors might look because of the greater amount of polynesian who do it with bigger smiles, maybe the gold teeth makes it stand out.

Most teams wear polos after games - whenever I watch Fox games they are walking to game in a polo.

Yes - most teams dont have kava sessions , most teams get on the pi$$ and get up to stupid stuff.
Again - from all reports teams like Queensland - get on the Pi$$ harder than any other team in recent history and are without doubt one of the greatest side in RL history
So both again just excuses.

Those are all excuses and over simplication many posters complain about.
Im more worried about on field performances.

Than trying to pin point irrelevant stuff and they identify it as the reason why they loose.

Mcfadden has made a point with Konny - more open thatn anybody else.
Warriors have also spoken openly about looking at centre and backrowers.

Where exactly did i say laughing after the game was a problem?

The Warriors have been a dumb, weak minded team for the vast majority of their history, it shows in the results and manner in which those results came about...they have a well earned and deserved reputation of being soft when the pressure rises...i believe that comes from the training paddock, if training is treated like a catch up joke session with your bro's, where does the intensity, professionalism and expectation of excellence come from.

You make the following excuses:

Then you make an honest assessment of Konnies laziness but then offer a piss poor excuse about it not being his fault:

Was that in context ;)???

No, it just suggests you're either choosing to interpret / represent things in an incorrect manner, or lacking comprehension. From your posts I think you're a person of reasonable intelligence so I doubt it's the latter, and selectively quoting from an obviously ponderous ramble across multiple posts seems to confirm it.

Anyway!
I am not a fan of Konrad's laziness, or a proponent of allowing it to continue. That would be fucking retarded. What I am trying to say is players are not created equal, in any aspect of their skillset or persona. Konrad has massive physical ability but lacks the inner drive to take full advantage of it.

If Konnie cannot bully himself, the Warriors need to recognise that and make selection / contractual / disciplinary motions to force his hand. Matthew Elliot finally did that, but not until it was too late from a "fielding your strongest team" POV... early this season. (Here I am praising some efforts the club has made, once again I have not praised anything about Konnie except his natural ability).

Konrad is not the only player who gets away with shitty on or off field behaviour, presentation and effort. This is where I start to head to the club being equally to blame for allowing these issues to further develop.

EQUALLY. Please tell me this is clear enough haha... but if it isn't:

"But sometimes you can't just apply the Rule of the Ruthless. Hurrell could turn up half pissed on game day, hangover pie still in hand, and probably stand a good chance of winning the game for us. I honestly believe that."
Praising his natural ability, an inarguable quality. And bemoaning the fact we can't just afford to ditch such talent. I'd prefer lazy players to be average ones, not potential superstars.

"First thought is he's a young guy who grew up in the islands, probably from a very different cultural background to us. I'm not meaning to imply Tongans are lazy by nature, but there is the classic laid-back friendly islander stereotype which Konnie seems to typify."
How is this an excuse? That is called an observation, my friend.

"Culture aside, I actually think he's just a chilled out, happy-go-lucky kind of guy."
See above, a subjective observation of Konrad's nature.

"He does not need to put in the extra yards at training and live a fascist health and fitness lifestyle. Natural talent can be a blessing and a curse."
Once again, some careful thought would probably lead to the conclusion I was saying he can maintain a pro sports career while being a lazy fuck, which is true. This is not saying I want it to continue as such, merely that it's developed this way. Blessing in such ability, curse in becoming too relaxed.

"Our club is a quagmire of agenda, unprofessional-ism and inefficiency. We constantly talk of signing "seasoned Australians" and "hardened veterans" to bring about a culture change, add professionalism and work ethic."
This line doesn't even mention Hurrell, and refers to some pretty obvious shit. What part do you disagree with?

The ongoing theme here is taking my subjective observations of Konrad Hurrell's character and interpreting them as excuses. I haven't given a single excuse for his short-comings... possible explanations perhaps? But not excuses.

I do however believe the club has a responsibility to motivate and develop the talent of any young player, even if they have some issues motivating themselves. And I think in the not so distant past we have utterly failed to do so.

Reactions: mt.wellington
Also I must point out:

When I refer to motivation, if could mean anything from pay cuts / incentives, to threats of dismissal, to being dropped, to having to stand and account for yourself in front of the team, to doing extra training...

I'm not saying the club has an obligation to cuddle players for doing a few things right and ignore their weaknesses. Or hire them personal psychiatrists to explore the deep-seeded reasons behind why they drop the ball. Or any other overly complex BS.

We should be tough on our players and force them to motivate themselves to perform. Find what motivates them and exploit it. If McFadden can do this and do it long term without becoming the next one voted off the island, then I will be totally supportive of his position.

Reactions: Maraea and Xfactor
Also I must point out:

When I refer to motivation, if could mean anything from pay cuts / incentives, to threats of dismissal, to being dropped, to having to stand and account for yourself in front of the team, to doing extra training...

I'm not saying the club has an obligation to cuddle players for doing a few things right and ignore their weaknesses. Or hire them personal psychiatrists to explore the deep-seeded reasons behind why they drop the ball. Or any other overly complex BS.

We should be tough on our players and force them to motivate themselves to perform. Find what motivates them and exploit it. If McFadden can do this and do it long term without becoming the next one voted off the island, then I will be totally supportive of his position.

This, he's just a lazy 22 year old little prick, like a lot of 22 year olds are, they will do the bare minimum to get by...the secret is finding what buttons to press to change their attitude. But sometimes theres nothing you can say or do to get the effort out of them you want, until it one day clicks in their head and they do it themselves...I think Hurrell is quite a smart kid so he may work it out before too long.

Reactions: Xfactor

Far Away Fan

I endorse everything people are saying about him being irreplaceable. And my support of the Warriors would be seriously affected if he were to leave.

About his over-eating on his summer breaks. We have to accept that there are cultural and biological reasons for this which compound the problem. I believe that amongst his people, he would be offered food by everyone he visited and to refuse would be a big slight on his hosts. Konrad would have been growing up with this - it would be instilled in him from childhood. Couple this with the fact that most Islanders put on weight very easily.

It's just as with Maori. Big feasts are big things for Maori and to refuse is something you just don't do. I've heard that many Maori personages have a problem dealing with this. Politicians, for example. Glad-handing tours ("fact-finding missions") are always accompanied by food, wherever they go, and again, to refuse is a rudeness.

Different people put on weight at different rates and it looks like Konrad is one of those who would put on a kilo as soon as they looked at a big roast.

I totally understand that Konrad himself has a problem with over-eating. He's admitted as much. "When I see food in front of me I want to eat it!" So he has a problem on top of all the above, magnifying the effects.

Konrad's summer trips don't go on for very many weeks. It would pay for itself many, many times over if the Warriors were to send out a full-time nutritionist with him. Seriously. Or have him pay for this. Hopefully, this would help him to get it right.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler

You mean the same team that Cleary had 6 months before Bluey and went to the Grand Final???

No, it just suggests you're either choosing to interpret / represent things in an incorrect manner, or lacking comprehension.
Just get lazy to regurgitate the same posts and points over and over again on multiple threads. Ive made my thoughts on Konrad clear and prefer to only respond to points I find new or interesting such as I did with my original post. Im not even sure why you took offence at my post to warrant a reply in the first place...

Far Away Fan

I expect as he matures he will learn what needs to be done; looks like this year is the "don't let him take the piss" year of his career. I hope Hurrell learns from it and shows up in adonis shape come 2015.

The thing is, that is never going to happen. His physiology is not compatible with the idealised Adonis shape.

Reactions: Rick O'Shay and OMG
You mean the same team that Cleary had 6 months before Bluey and went to the Grand Final???

A few lucky wins at the end of the season still doesn't mean they weren't an absolute headcase of a team, some of the losses that season were bordering on ridiculous, the 40-10 thrashing by the Broncs in the finals is a good example....the definition of the Warriors would be completely inconsistent, meaning they can be very good and then very bad, and that comes down to mental weakness.

Reactions: ¿N. ig-mah¿