Konrad Hurrell

1. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Konrads stirring a lot of debate across the threads.

Not just here , right across the NRL Fans and getting excited about the possibility that Konrad might end up on the open market.

Konrad has issues (he has said as much himself).
    Konrad also plays for a club where there has been extensive questioning of the Culture , the professional standards of the Organisation (further polarizes debate) and has fans scrambling for answers.

Konrad typifies young Warrior talent in that when you talk about potential, these guys have as much raw ability as any other up and coming star in the NRL.

Hurrell is falling short....unable to consistently make first grade (because of Mental issues) which translate to a poor training ethic (two seasons in a row) which has to reflect poorly on the club.

Who's to blame?....would Konrad be better managed by another organisation ?

Is it Konrad where the fault lies ?

When you look at the Work that the trainers achieved with hardening up some of our talent in the last year ( including the fix they did of Konrad last season ) the training staff are arguably among the best the Warriors have ever had.

Look at the trainers achievements with individuals on defence :

Konrad Hurrell 2013 :
    identified by the opposition teams as a player that van be defensively targeted and exploited.

By mid season the trainers had him make 18 tackles versus the Roosters including tackles on SBW and Jennings. Konrad finishes the year in tremendous shape and ready for the biggest season of his Career.

Pita Godinet :
    Couldn't get a start as a half, too small at hooker, our training staff made him into an effective tackler and much hardier player ( this year he is a respected defender in the ESL ).

Shaun Johnson 2013:
    Improved tackle stats.....from that turning point, he has become an outstanding defender this season, and shows the mental toughness to start charging straight the line.

Glen Fisiahi : shakey tackler with a reputation for being Shy about tackling which rated among our worst.
    2013 the training staff had Glen honed to adapt to the Wing position.....where many thought he would never be able to convert. Glen is now a genuine NRL Winger beautiful finisher tidy tackler that the Rabbitohs want to pinch from us.

The Entire Warriors Forward pack, arrive in NRL condition , although they get out played in the early rounds , favorite targets (Rapira and Lillyman) for slagging earn nothing but respect in those Losses.....tellingly they bring back Sione Louis from injury and build him into the NRL nicely....while in contrast John Palavi who doesn't have the Motor gets dropped for Seb Ikahihifo.

Ben Henry they bring straight back in and their Judgement / assessment of his fitness is bang on.....by his second game he is a dominant presence ( especially in lateral scrambling type defence for the Warriors).

Most damming of all......Ngani Laumape digs himself as big a hole as his mate Hurrell , and when the blow torch of first grade is applied , you can see Laumape hurting after putting in the big runs but he's staying present mentally in games.

The thing that worries me about Konrad is that by this time last year he was rebuilding and coming right.....(ok so hopefully the good stuff is just around the corner) and he needs a couple more games.

But when you stack up the work other players are doing , ( tackling up like Johnson is purely mental drive ) and the way the Warriors are having lots of successes with new players like Fusitua and Kata.....there will have to be a cut off point with Konrad.

At some point carrying an unfit player affects the culture of a team, it's called a bad influence.

If I was naming a NZ team tomorrow , I would select Steve Matai if available ahead of Konrad Hurrell every day of the week. Steve is not a player I like ( don't like his personality ) never have liked Steve.....but where he has it all over Konrad is he comes battle ready , is smarter to structured outside back play than any center we've had since Tate.

If Matai runs with a Winger Like Vatuveir or Fisiahi in the same team as a Fullback like Sam Tomkins......barging runs drawing three tacklers becomes unnecessary because of Matai's experience with using the ball to beat his opposite.

I recon the Warriors are desperate to get it right with Hurrell and in the immediate term the only swap they are thinking is Matai for Nieslon.

But if these rumors about Hurrell not getting picked are being fed by his agent.....and the club are forced into a position of ' Pick our player ' or no player.......that they ....the Warriors......should do the right thing by the other 24 players....

The Warriors have proved they can replace Konrad Hurrells running and drawing power with a wide running Ben Matulino....the hard running Seb Ikahahifo.....a developed Sione Lousi.......(eventually Lisone is going to make a name for himself according to many experts on here ).

With that kind of Giant Second row, these Warriors won't need a back who runs like a Prop...they already have the best one in the game in Manu. McFadden may just chose to make his team one where Forwards like Ben make the telling meters and put the opposition under pressure while class backs like Matai and Tomkins set loose the hard working kids coming through on the NRL.

Best outcome Warriors tell whoever is making these rumors get screwed at whatever cost....and Konrad ups his game.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. henry6606
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2013

henry6606 1st Grade Fringe

If you think Manly are going to swap Matai for Neilsen we'll need to find a extra half a million to go with him as well
    Konnies not a 80 min player as yet and needs to be sub untill he gets his fitness up he will get there as we go into winter

3. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

No one said any thing about trading Nielson for Matai.

At this stage the rumor is the Warriors are after Matai and it is a very Good rumor since there is no secret they want the best center they can lure hear and if you look at the progression in what they have been prepared to spend Carmont , Loko , Leilua , Hiku......there they've gone from patch up to top shelf.

Nielson will be let go outright most believe.

Since Konrad needs special treatment , If the Warriors are that desperate to keep him without considering life without him, they're locking themselves into a potential Dave Taylor scenario.

There must be thought given to more than the on field stuff which we're talking half games anyway ( that's a pretty big issue in of itself ).

I realise it's an uncomfortable subject for some......Konrads the elephant in the room....or the more reason to look at something more closely.

What if the Warriors view Konrad like we fans ( can be fixed , will be fixed , must be fixed at all cost )

What if they stick to that view and Konrad shows up out of shape in 2015 ?

Where are they then ?

Prepare the plan B now just in case....get Kata online from within and buy an alternative externally.

Options. I hope they got options and they're not putting all their eggs in a Konrad basket for next year.

They have lots of players fighting for their Jerseys now...this club might finally grow up.

4. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

Not to be insulting to Konrad, but he has a simple mind. He seems easily distracted, and lacks mental focus. That along with lack of fitness makes him struggle. The first thing to suffer under fatigue is mental focus. We can't afford that.

I think the best thing for Konrad would be to train like a boxer. He almost needs to live 24 hours a day with a trainer/manager, and needs to have his diet and exercise regime laid out in absolute black and white. If he wants a cheese burger, then he needs to train intensely for 2 hours BEFORE he even considers it, and then he also has to run to and from the mall to get it. He needs to train under an actual instructor for the entire year. He can't afford to have a 2 or 3 week holiday where he allows his waistline to have a rest. He needs to train more often than any of the others. Perhaps he needs to develop an exercise regime alongside Benry or Friend. Someone who will not allow any easing up of intensity. I don't think Wiki is the man to lead Konrad. Maybe Carl Jennings needs to take him on fulltime, without Wiki's brotherhood style.

But I would never consider releasing Konrad. He just needs to have his focus and drive directed intensely.

5. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Just on the never release Konrad convictions......

Here's a scenario....what if he shows up over weight next year ? ( This Question really applies to everyone and should have been spelt out better in the OP ).

6. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

Yeah, I got that, but I am still not sure I would release him. Perhaps some intensive psychological development. It may sound a little harsh or extreme, but to do it yet again would be a sign of something majorly wrong in the headspace. Without identifying what is causing the problem, it would be crazy to just release him. I don't think he has the Inu-type talent to just allow the weak mentality. Inu is a more natural player and can pull a gem out of his arse at any time. Konrad still has to work hard to achieve what he does achieve, and suffers from mental as well as physical fatigue. That MUST be fixed. It may require the team to utilise him as an impact centre, or it may eventually result in the team letting him seek greener pastures, but not now, and not immediately after the return from an off-season without more investigation as to causes.

7. Old Skool
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2014

Old Skool Waterboy

Kia ora Sup42,In answer to your question he'd make a handy addition to our propping stocks....nah just kidding!

8. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Hitman82 1st Grade Fringe

I just got out of hospital so excuse my poor attempt at reply!

Who's to blame? (for Konrad's "mental issues" I assume?)

First thought is he's a young guy who grew up in the islands, probably from a very different cultural background to us. I'm not meaning to imply Tongans are lazy by nature, but there is the classic laid-back friendly islander stereotype which Konnie seems to typify.

Culture aside, I actually think he's just a chilled out, happy-go-lucky kind of guy.

Most NRL players who have such a ridiculous physical presence and impact you would tend to describe as very intense. Hurrell certainly is not this, he's a class clown, a joker. He does not need to put in the extra yards at training and live a fascist health and fitness lifestyle. Natural talent can be a blessing and a curse.

But I certainly do not think he is solely to blame for what may be labelled neglect of the finer points and extra yards?

Our club is a quagmire of agenda, unprofessional-ism and inefficiency. We constantly talk of signing "seasoned Australians" and "hardened veterans" to bring about a culture change, add professionalism and work ethic.

WELL - why the fuck can't we develop a winning culture and professionalism ourselves? Why must we pipe-dream of cannibalising the fruit of other clubs' labour?

Simple: we are terrible at developing our young talent. Our young guys seem to flourish in cut-throat Australian and grim Pommie club environments. But at home they seem to cruise along, chilling with the bros and swilling kava, carefree and full of smiles. Ok that last bit is just silly. But you get my point.

• Is Konrad Hurrell the architect of his own demise? Of course he is! He turned up fat and slow. He's missed opportunities to fine-tune his game. He's lacking in killer instinct to chase down a break.

But-

• Are the Warriors as a club failing Konrad Hurrell? Absolutely! Our coaches, selectors, contract-wranglers and CEO are the ones who allow players to develop indifference and laziness.

I start work at 9.30 most days, often later. I get paid from 8am. You think I would do this if I knew my boss was waiting there ready to give me shit for being late every day? You think I'd do it if it'd impact my pay rise each year? Hell no! I do it because I'm easy going and moderately lazy... and because I can.

9. slaughterhouse.sa
    Join:
    May 26, 2012

slaughterhouse.sa 1st Grade Fringe

Manly might need to get rid of matai to fit in Hiku, Buhrer and any other possible signings.

Same for Souths ....they might be off letting Luke go.
    So they can lock in Koroisau and Mcinnes. Otherwise like Lichaa they will come in with a big offer for 2015

10. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

Everyone here knows my feelings on the guy, he is up there with my very favourite players SJ, Hurrell, Fish, Lillyman etc but to say we have proved he can be replaced is just not true.

What he brings is irreplaceable. Sure Laumape is similar and definitely safer and I'm a big fan of him but he doesn't have the same level of destruction that Konnie brings. I dont think there is a more powerful ball runner in the NRL.

I would be devastated to see him play on another team. That said, I can't work out why he is not fitter by now? Is it just because he absolutely gives it everything from the moment he gets on the field, is it because he doesnt know how to pace himself or are his trainers/regime to blame? Does he not put the hard yards in at training?

I know this much, he definitely needs to play another 80 in the NSW Cup this bye weekend. We need to get him right asap. He is indispensable.

11. sydneywarrior92
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

sydneywarrior92 1st Grade Fringe

sorry Warriors, no Konrad no future

12. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

You're dead right, he's irreplaceable. I'm a fairly black-and-white person; I think if any other player had caused so much controversy with being left out for lack of fitness, lack of effort, etc... (these aren't my judgements btw, just what I've read in the articles) ...yeah any other player and I'd be calling for a contract burning. Weed out the weak links and all that.

But sometimes you can't just apply the Rule of the Ruthless. Hurrell could turn up half pissed on game day, hangover pie still in hand, and probably stand a good chance of winning the game for us. I honestly believe that.

He possesses a running game I struggle to compare to anyone else's... maybe a less pretty version of Inglis' running style? Pure destruction. And the thing I love about Konrad beyond his natural talents - his aggro. Always picking little battles and trying to one-up opponents. Never goes into his shell or bitches out. He may lack the off field effort, but he doesn't lack desire to dominate.

He's got flaws, yes. But he's 22 and already the most destructive running back in the game, seriously. I have no doubt we could forge decent centres from Laumape and Kata, maybe even one of the best pairings in the game. But I also have no doubt that Hurrell could become one of the greatest centres in the history of rugby league. Yep, massive call but I believe it 100%.
    Natural ability of an extremely rare quality.

So in short - we cannot lose Hurrell from our club. We will not replace his potential quickly, easily or possibly ever.

13. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

It has been said before.... As a club we are poor trainers compared to other NRL clubs. Many people who have been involved in both warriors and other clubs have said training is much easier here than in Aussie clubs.

Mt Wellingtons post about his mate that has been working at Mt Smart and noticing how the players muck around at training is as telling as it gets in my opinion. Cappy I think has said we need to increase the intensity at training so hopefully things are falling into place.. Finally!

I think Konnies laid back personality and our clubs 'previous' poor attitude to training have been the things to point the finger at.

Dos anyone know what training was like under uncle Ivan and Craig Walker??

14. Nz_Warrior
    Join:
    Feb 26, 2013

Nz_Warrior Warriors Bench Player

Konrad Hurrell will be the best centre in the NRL. He is definitely unique and will not be allowed to leave at any stage.

I would offer him a new deal until 2020 today if I was in-charge of the club.

I can't see how you think his position is under threat for next season. Let's say we bring in Matai, a left-sided centre, Hurrel remains a staple on the right. Henry is not a centre and Laumape is just not as good as Konnie.
    I can also see the coaching staff working with him, to improve all aspects of his game.

**You don't just dump a guy like Konnie in the reserves until his contract runs out. You work, nurture and develop him so he reaches his full potential. And as I said, when that happens, we will have the best centre in the NRL.

15. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah bang on, we do need him to sort out his attitude though because if he just gets it then he could as you say become one of the greatest centres in history. When I was first watching him in the juniors his destructive running game and his good passing game I was telling my friends he was the next Mal Meninga haha thats what I honestly believed and he certainly hasn't disappointed when you talk about - offensively at least - his ability to step up to NRL level. This is a guy we need to hang onto for the next decade. This would be worse than when Ali left, far worse because we at least had Ali at his best......Konnies best is yet to come.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  16. slaughterhouse.sa
    Join:
    May 26, 2012

Im sorry but ....dont make excuses for Hurrel
    You are blaming everybody but him. He doesnt need excuses he needs to sort it out.

The dropping him....is

Cant be bothered reading it all......but outside of Havili and Mateo who came back unfit (Mateo was injured)

Even the Lousi's (who get critiqued on here for attitude) came back fit and firing.
    That two guys - one with a knee recon, and with random cronic injuries.

Guys like Henry & Steve Rapira - had season ending knee injuries and are back looking in good shape.

17. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Maybe follow your own advice brah... I blamed Hurrell AND his mentors. I've also advocated his dropping and even once his release.

Can't be bothered replying at greater length to someone who can't be bothered reading my posts.

*as you were, sunshine

18. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Of course. I have no doubt we could allow Konnie to continue his slightly lazy, chilled ways and he'd still be a quality centre who'd win the odd game for us and have a cult following.

But if we find the way to motivate him into full application on and off the field, like you said we have a potential superstar on our hands... so it goes both ways.

I expect as he matures he will learn what needs to be done; looks like this year is the "don't let him take the piss" year of his career. I hope Hurrell learns from it and shows up in adonis shape come 2015.

19. slaughterhouse.sa
    Join:
    May 26, 2012

"

Agreed - with the first part.

When have they dropped him in the reserves until his contract runs out?
    You cant have a centre that doesnt last 80 minutes.

Even if he wanted to leave....reports say he is signed until 2016.
    If thats the case activate the club option - as you could sell him off or use him for a trade

20. Xfactor
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Xfactor 1st Grade Fringe

To me, Konrad epitomises the type of Warrior that we all want to celebrate.
    The come-from-nowhere young Tongan kid with the positive outlook and a huge heart.
    It would be detrimental to this clubs credibility to not mould Konrad into the superstar he was born to be, and I fully accept that he himself has the biggest part to play in that happening.
    It would reflect poorly on our club if the Storm/Roosters/Rabbitohs were to take Konrad (and believe me they would) and make him what we couldn't!
    And if they could do it, we'd need a serious assessment of the reasons we couldn't.
    Perhaps it's as simple as asking Konrad who he wants to be; a stop-gap or a superstar who could one day afford to buy his own chain of pie shops and take-away bars.
    I completely understand the cases being made for Konrad to be made aware of his shortcomings with stints in a lower grade, but I fear being dropped to reserve grade is no longer the punishment it was meant to be. Our 1st grade side has performed so poorly for so long that the constant barrage of media and fan scrutiny/abuse has actually made having to play 1st grade the punishment! No one could deny that the immense weight of pressure on our team to perform well would had to have had an effect on the players psyche/morale, and a demotion to reserve grade would be a good place to escape the gloom.
    I don't have the answer.....just lots of questions! Maybe his Mum could offer some suggestions. She's the one he seems to play for.:joyful: