Kodi Nikorima

Broncos rocked by Warriors poaching raid of playmaker Kodi Nikorima
Peter Badel - The Courier-Mail
April 28, 2019 9:09am

The Warriors are targeting Kodi Nikorima to solve their playmaking crisis in a move that could end the Brisbane halfback’s career at the Broncos within weeks.

The Courier-Mail understands the Warriors will table a formal offer in the next 48 hours in a bombshell development for Nikorima as he prepares for Thursday night’s Broncos-Souths grudge match.

The clash at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium against his former coach Wayne Bennett could be Nikorima’s 87th and final game for the Broncos with Brisbane considering an immediate release to the Warriors.

Kodi Nikorima could be on the way out of Red Hill. Picture: Annette Dew

The 25-year-old was first linked with a move to the Warriors last December.

Nikorima has been made aware of the Warriors’ poaching bid and would be devastated at the thought of leaving a Broncos club that has groomed him for the NRL since his teen years in Brisbane’s under-20s ranks.

The veteran of 13 Tests for New Zealand has consistently maintained he can succeed at halfback but the Broncos’ sluggish 2-5 start this season has not helped his prospects of being Brisbane’s long-term No.7.

Nikorima has had a tough start to 2019. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is developing young halfbacks Sean O’Sullivan, Tom Dearden, Cory Paix and Tanah Boyd, raising the possibility Brisbane could send Nikorima back to the bench as a No.14 super-sub next season.

But Nikorima may not last that long at Red Hill if the injury-ravaged Warriors can get their man as soon as possible.

The Kiwi outfit have had their scrumbase decimated with Shaun Johnson’s off-season move to Cronulla compounded by a groin injury to his one-time halves partner Blake Green.

Such is their plight, the Warriors were forced to use back-rower Tohu Harris in the halves alongside four-game rookie Chanel Harris-Tavita in their Anzac Day clash against Melbourne last Thursday night.

Nikorima is contracted to the Broncos until the end of 2020 but the Warriors are keen to tempt him with a lucrative offer, potentially spanning three seasons beyond this year.

Warriors coach Steve Kearney worked with Nikorima as a former assistant at the Broncos and the pair share the same manager, the NRL’s most powerful agent Isaac Moses.

The Broncos were hoping the Milford-Nikorima alliance would work but the pint-sized pair have never really clicked since joining forces last season following Ben Hunt’s departure to the Dragons.

In the wake of Brisbane’s 29-6 defeat of Cronulla on Saturday night, Broncos prop Matt Lodge praised Nikorima, saying he is an NRL-quality halfback.

“All our forwards have trust in ‘Milf’ (Milford) to get the job done and Kodi is just as dangerous,” he said.

“I’d hate to be tackling him because he’s short and explosive.

“He can just break games open when we need points. Kodi is a threat. He’s just got to run the ball.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
There is the problem. He doesnt have half the skills required for 7, he has no game management skills as much as he wanted to be "the man" for Bronx, he doesnt have a kicking game. At 5/8th hes pretty meh every game. At least SJ when he wasnt creating magic and everyone said MIA, he was still performing the key functions of a 6. run, draw, pass, overlap on the wing, executing set plays as CALLED by the 7, not ignoring them like Kodi does.

This is too negative IMO. Kodi is a skillful but limited player. His strengths from what I have seen:
- can go to the line and give soft hands to an edge forward
- can skip on the outside and set up a centre
- can take the line on and dummy through for a line break
- decent short attacking kicking game
- perfectly capable of drifting and turning a forward back on the inside/ directing a pack (if you disagree watch him for the Kiwis on the 2018 tour)
- hes good at playing broken play or short sideraids

Key thing he can't do at this stage that I have seen:
- long kicking game
- long passing game
- structured sweeping backline plays

So in our team I can see him having a great combo on the left edge with Tohu running lines, and also skipping out to set up Hiku on the outside. He isnt going to float a precision double face ball to Fus like SJ could, or beat 4 guys in a cross field dance to get the ball to the right winger. But its not his fault we don't have any attacking runners or ball players on the right edge. Maybe Herbert/Milne will surprise there, or Perham will step up.

For us my biggest worry with Kodi is the lack of a long kicking game. It puts too much pressure on the other half unless you have a hooker who can kick long out of dummy half. I can't really tell how good CHT is with positional kicking and I have no idea yet whether Egan can. Roache and Lawton don't seem to be able to do it.

So yes, we will likely have the same problems as last year with teams putting kick pressure on Green/CHT, and rushing up to shut down a left edge play knowing we have nothing on the right. But that doesn't mean Kodi isn't a first grade half. It means he isn't a player that's good enough to paper over other weaknesses in your attack, and he has a single key weakness being his long kicking game that isn't balanced out elsewhere in our current squad.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
I think it will be terribly funny if Kodi (who was signed at overs as a knee Jerk by George sacking Johnson) who was/is an inconsistent player who does not grasp that number 6 is run, draw and pass, not make the game management decisions which is why he sucks at 6 not because he couldn't be taught to draw and pass, but he his ego was such he gave up SO much for his beloved Broncos he should be 7 calling the shots. Hes since had the same effort at the Warriors. Although I saw a glimmer of him creating overlaps as a ball player last game. Well would be funny if CHT is 7 next year and due to Egan sucking eggs so badly at running the ball (even old man Luke made his play the ball looking pedestrian) and if Hayze Perham lives up to potential, Kodi is pushed back to playing off the bench as utility for 9 and the Halves.

Right back where Wayne Bennett put him, yet due to Cameron George its costs us millions.

I think if we sign a coach capable of showing players where they are not quite performing, maybe Toovey, I can see Kodi not taking critisicim. Hopefully by then Perham has actually had game time or we have signed a crack hot 6.

6 and 9 being the holes created by Cameron George. Kodi being a utility to both of them. The irony.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
I think it will be terribly funny if Kodi (who was signed at overs as a knee Jerk by George sacking Johnson) who was/is an inconsistent player who does not grasp that number 6 is run, draw and pass, not make the game management decisions which is why he sucks at 6 not because he couldn't be taught to draw and pass, but he his ego was such he gave up SO much for his beloved Broncos he should be 7 calling the shots. Hes since had the same effort at the Warriors. Although I saw a glimmer of him creating overlaps as a ball player last game. Well would be funny if CHT is 7 next year and due to Egan sucking eggs so badly at running the ball (even old man Luke made his play the ball looking pedestrian) and if Hayze Perham lives up to potential, Kodi is pushed back to playing off the bench as utility for 9 and the Halves.

Right back where Wayne Bennett put him, yet due to Cameron George its costs us millions.

I think if we sign a coach capable of showing players where they are not quite performing, maybe Toovey, I can see Kodi not taking critisicim. Hopefully by then Perham has actually had game time or we have signed a crack hot 6.

6 and 9 being the holes created by Cameron George. Kodi being a utility to both of them. The irony.

You just got out of lockdown?

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
GReat to see kodi showing top form now.

I just had a thought - he makes his outsides / second rowers look good ... Katoa and Murchie come to mind. Maybe they could shift Papa to his side LOL.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
GReat to see kodi showing top form now.
Yes indeed, his last 4 games being the best 4 he has played for us.

Ive been a critic of his line engagement, but hes definitely holding that ball out in front creating confusion in the D and he is identifying who to take on well.

I still think he has a lot of improvement left as a 6 though, he does not have great awareness of how to draw the centre to create the overlap, instead he runs the ball more often. Also his kicking game is a bit lack luster, in all regards, although that one kick to Murch was right on the money for a Try assist.

If he can just get that overlap creation going, like the example from Brown in ~30th minute for the eels on wknd, then we would have a more dynamic offense out wide.

Oh my poor Paul Turner and his second brilliant individual effort to the try line, only to have Papa take it from him with silly play prior to the try, Paul would have scored regardless, I thought SK had ironed out silly penalties that use to plague us.

We will need a better goal kicker next year, which is not on him, isnt he 65%? The club should know conversions/penalties can win/lose games.

Overall Im much happier with him at $600k than his first year. Plus we have options in the future which may be incentive for him to keep improving. But as his ball running, is definitely consistent now and always exciting to watch.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Still think he has limitations (especially in his kicking game) but he's playing with more composure than i've ever seen him display, borne im sure from the confidence that for all intents and purposes this is now his team to own.....dont think he ever had that at the Bronco's.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Who's leading the comp at the moment ?
Just I can't find the stats .thanx

Different players top the rankings in different categories so it's difficult to say who is leading.

Suffice to say he's right in the mix with Keary/SJ/Brown and Munster who all feature regularly.

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
SJ 1st with 20 try assists, Kodi equal 9th with 10 according to NRL.com. Blake Green 7 lol. Worth noting 5 of Kodi's assists have come in the last 3 games in the post Green era.

On Line break assists Latrell is top wth 17. SJ 11, Kodi 7, Green not in the top 50 with less than 4.

Offloads Kodi has 13 which puts him 44th, but of halves only DCE with 14 and Milford with 19 are ahead of him.

Tackle Breaks, of halves DCE with 54, D. Brown with 50 are the only halves in the top 50.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
This is too negative IMO. Kodi is a skillful but limited player. His strengths from what I have seen:
- can go to the line and give soft hands to an edge forward
- can skip on the outside and set up a centre
- can take the line on and dummy through for a line break
- decent short attacking kicking game
- perfectly capable of drifting and turning a forward back on the inside/ directing a pack (if you disagree watch him for the Kiwis on the 2018 tour)
- hes good at playing broken play or short sideraids

Key thing he can't do at this stage that I have seen:
- long kicking game
- long passing game
- structured sweeping backline plays

So in our team I can see him having a great combo on the left edge with Tohu running lines, and also skipping out to set up Hiku on the outside. He isnt going to float a precision double face ball to Fus like SJ could, or beat 4 guys in a cross field dance to get the ball to the right winger. But its not his fault we don't have any attacking runners or ball players on the right edge. Maybe Herbert/Milne will surprise there, or Perham will step up.

For us my biggest worry with Kodi is the lack of a long kicking game. It puts too much pressure on the other half unless you have a hooker who can kick long out of dummy half. I can't really tell how good CHT is with positional kicking and I have no idea yet whether Egan can. Roache and Lawton don't seem to be able to do it.

So yes, we will likely have the same problems as last year with teams putting kick pressure on Green/CHT, and rushing up to shut down a left edge play knowing we have nothing on the right. But that doesn't mean Kodi isn't a first grade half. It means he isn't a player that's good enough to paper over other weaknesses in your attack, and he has a single key weakness being his long kicking game that isn't balanced out elsewhere in our current squad.
This post is 12 months old now. Wondering if people have a more positive view of Kodi now? I feel he’s still underrated by the fan base.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings