Reaction score

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
There is the problem. He doesnt have half the skills required for 7, he has no game management skills as much as he wanted to be "the man" for Bronx, he doesnt have a kicking game. At 5/8th hes pretty meh every game. At least SJ when he wasnt creating magic and everyone said MIA, he was still performing the key functions of a 6. run, draw, pass, overlap on the wing, executing set plays as CALLED by the 7, not ignoring them like Kodi does.
This is too negative IMO. Kodi is a skillful but limited player. His strengths from what I have seen:
- can go to the line and give soft hands to an edge forward
- can skip on the outside and set up a centre
- can take the line on and dummy through for a line break
- decent short attacking kicking game
- perfectly capable of drifting and turning a forward back on the inside/ directing a pack (if you disagree watch him for the Kiwis on the 2018 tour)
- hes good at playing broken play or short sideraids

Key thing he can't do at this stage that I have seen:
- long kicking game
- long passing game
- structured sweeping backline plays

So in our team I can see him having a great combo on the left edge with Tohu running lines, and also skipping out to set up Hiku on the outside. He isnt going to float a precision double face ball to Fus like SJ could, or beat 4 guys in a cross field dance to get the ball to the right winger. But its not his fault we don't have any attacking runners or ball players on the right edge. Maybe Herbert/Milne will surprise there, or Perham will step up.

For us my biggest worry with Kodi is the lack of a long kicking game. It puts too much pressure on the other half unless you have a hooker who can kick long out of dummy half. I can't really tell how good CHT is with positional kicking and I have no idea yet whether Egan can. Roache and Lawton don't seem to be able to do it.

So yes, we will likely have the same problems as last year with teams putting kick pressure on Green/CHT, and rushing up to shut down a left edge play knowing we have nothing on the right. But that doesn't mean Kodi isn't a first grade half. It means he isn't a player that's good enough to paper over other weaknesses in your attack, and he has a single key weakness being his long kicking game that isn't balanced out elsewhere in our current squad.

Reaction score
blue bells

blue bells

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
So with Tevanga having ankle surgery and the rest of our hookers injured does that mean Kodi to 9 or am i forgetting someone??

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Going on past team selection, AK at hooker, Kakariki and Kodi in halves and CHT on bench, not my picks though
Maybe Tohu at 6 with Hiku at 7... LOL

Top Bottom