General Warriors Preseason 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

This doesn’t give the impression of Niukore starting in the front row for the upcoming season anyway. If he and Capewell are the starting second rowers, does that bring Ford off the bench?
It's a hard one to predict I reckon, while Webby says he likes the impact Niukore has on an edge he also mentions its better when an edge ford can play 80 I assume as its less hassle with interchanges.

I think it'll probably be Capewell and Ford to start with Niukore on the bench as Capewell and Ford can both play 80. Bench I'm thinking something like Walker, CHT , Niukore, Ale/Afoa? with positional switches possible with the interchanges, like at 20 mins Walker and Niukore come on, Capewell moves to lock and Tohu plays prop for a stint with Walker filling in for Barnett.

Whatever happens we have so much depth in every position now it's crazy. I think we're gonna go to another level this year and beat some of the top 8 teams we've struggled against.

It's a hard one to predict I reckon, while Webby says he likes the impact Niukore has on an edge he also mentions its better when an edge ford can play 80 I assume as its less hassle with interchanges.

I think it'll probably be Capewell and Ford to start with Niukore on the bench as Capewell and Ford can both play 80. Bench I'm thinking something like Walker, CHT , Niukore, Ale/Afoa? with positional switches possible with the interchanges, like at 20 mins Walker and Niukore come on, Capewell moves to lock and Tohu plays prop for a stint with Walker filling in for Barnett.

Whatever happens we have so much depth in every position now it's crazy. I think we're gonna go to another level this year and beat some of the top 8 teams we've struggled against.
Some would say $850k on the bench isn’t good return on Niukore but when you consider super sub Walker at $700k, perhaps not. Also saw in an article they’d like to see Niukore more involved, so really hard to know where they see him. Only because as you say, so much depth and options.

I don’t think Capewell plays 80. I know he has previously, but I’ve watched his performances for a few years & he’s definitely dropped off a fair bit. Still a fantastic signing, and will bring a lot of mana to the club, but I see him as a 65-70min back rower in order to maximise his effectiveness. Bloke in a bar/rugby league guru have spoken about this a lot too, and denan kemp who runs the show & is a broncos supporter aligns with this too. I think ford has shown he can play 80, so I think marata starts in the middle, and finishes on an edge. 30 or so in the middle, then plays 15-20 on an edge.

Rotations could look like this:

Marata afb Capewell ford tohu start

30min:
Afb off, jazz on
Niukore off, Walker on

50min:
tohu off for barnett, Walker to lock
Capewell off, niukore on an edge
jazz off, afb on

65min
Walker off for tohu
Niukore off, Capewell on

Ford plays 80. Afb plays 60, tohu plays 65, Capewell plays 65, niukore plays 40, Barnett plays 30, walker plays 30, jazz plays 20.

Finishing pack of Barnett afb Capewell ford tohu.

Obviously I’ve got no idea but our important players play 60+ (tohu, afb, Capewell), ford plays 80 cos he can and is one of the fittest at the club, Barnett and walker play 30-40 & jazz rips shit for 20-25.

Obviously got no idea, just how I’d like to see it. Gone are the days tohu plays 80, but we don’t need him to. Walker is brilliant. Jazz & Barnett can cover the middle too, for niukore is used as a middle through the tough parts but can cover edge if need be.

Capewell likely plays 80, but I’d like to see him better utilised as a 65-70min as we’ve got high quality players who can cover him for 10-15.

Lucky he's not on 850k

POSITION Centre
WEIGHT 106 kg
HEIGHT 188 cm (6' 2")
DATE OF BIRTH 29/07/1996 (27 years old)
ELIGIBILITY New Zealand
PLACE OF BIRTH Auckland, NZ
Player Contracts
PLAYER CONTRACTS

Team 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028
$850K $850K $850K

Think the article you put up was before the players pay negotiations? Zero tackle not the be end and all end but multiple places say the same.

POSITION Centre
WEIGHT 106 kg
HEIGHT 188 cm (6' 2")
DATE OF BIRTH 29/07/1996 (27 years old)
ELIGIBILITY New Zealand
PLACE OF BIRTH Auckland, NZ
Player Contracts
PLAYER CONTRACTS

Team 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028
$850K $850K $850K

Think the article you put up was before the players pay negotiations? Zero tackle not the be end and all end but multiple places say the same.
ZeroTackle is notoriously wrong, I wouldn't pay any heed to that.

Those Daily Telegraph articles about player salaries are always broad guesses.

Even if Niukores salary increased at the exact same percentage (25%) as the salary cap increased it would still be less than 850k.

Last edited:
ZeroTackle is notoriously wrong, I wouldn't pay any heed to that.

Those Daily Telegraph articles about player salaries are always broad guesses.

Even if Niukores salary increased at the exact same percentage (25%) as the salary cap increased it would still be less than 850k.
Seems to be accurate with the likes of AFB and Walker’s salaries? Would say it’s in the ballpark if not what his salary is.

Yeah just googling that its a bit of a funny one- all the initial reports seem to agree on the 625 figure but anything more recent has it at 850.
Id like to think the earlier ones are right because as much as I like marata- 850 seems big overs tbh.
Truths probably somewhere in-between.

Seems to be accurate with the likes of AFB and Walker’s salaries? Would say it’s in the ballpark if not what his salary is.
How is Walkers in any way accurate? The Telegraph article it is quoting are guesses. And DWZs is wrong.

After ZeroTackle had said we have signed Isaac Liu it lost a lot of credibility for me.

How is Walkers in any way accurate? The Telegraph article it is quoting are guesses. And DWZs is wrong.

After ZeroTackle had said we have signed Isaac Liu it lost a lot of credibility for me.
Not sure how you’re so adamant when you obviously don’t really know either? I’m certainly not in the know in any shape or form, perhaps you’re right? Gave me the impression he’s probably on pretty good coin when an article mentioned the club want more involvement from him, hence the shift to the front row on the cards?

Not sure how you’re so adamant when you obviously don’t really know either? I’m certainly not in the know in any shape or form, perhaps you’re right? Gave me the impression he’s probably on pretty good coin when an article mentioned the club want more involvement from him, hence the shift to the front row on the cards?
I do have a fair idea, hence why I am so adamant some of the numbers quoted in these articles are incorrect.

i wonder if the team has ever done a pre season “boot camp” with the lads based out of Papakura in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back