NRL South Sydney Rabbitohs

South Sydney Rabbitohs
Untitled design (42).png

NRL news: South Sydney great Nathan Merritt placed on life support in hospital​

Dean Ritchie
South Sydney great Nathan Merritt. Picture: Stewart McLean

Former South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt is fighting for his life in a Sydney hospital.
Merritt, who scored 154 tries over 237 games for the Rabbitohs, was found unresponsive on Friday afternoon.

He was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Camperdown.

Family, friends and teammates have been told of Merritt’s condition.

It is understood he is on life support.

He was staying with his aunty when he collapsed.

Merritt’s condition is listed as serious.

Merritt, now 40, played with Souths between 2002 and 2014.

He scored ten tries or more in a season for eight successive years.

More to come

Serious question

Merritt was a pretty decent player across bunnies and sharks with plenty of tries

So did he make good money across his career enough to retire ? Or is a Bunty type contract player who would need to be planning ahead for life after football

Whoa that's so young to have such serious health issues. This after their other bloke died too. I'm not saying anything but maybe I just did.

South Sydney legend Nathan Merritt’s miracle recovery after being placed on life support | Daily Telegraph​

Former South Sydney flyer Nathan Merritt is responsive, standing and smiling as he continues to make a remarkable recovery from a near-death experience.
Just three weeks ago Merritt was on life support and there were grave concerns about his situation after being hospitalised at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Camperdown.

The try-scoring great was found unresponsive at his aunt’s home. The situation was extremely serious but Merritt woke from his coma and his health has significantly improved in the past fortnight.

A beaming Merritt was pictured holding a coffee cup dressed in a grey t-shirt and black shorts.

The photo was posted on a South Sydney Rabbitohs Supporter Group on Facebook with Merritt’s permission.

“I visited Nathan Merritt in hospital this morning and you’ll be pleased to know he’s doing well and on the mend,” the fan wrote.

“He gave me permission to post this and asked me to thank everyone for their kind words, thoughts and prayers.”

Following the overwhelming sentiment from the original post, the fan reached out to Merritt again.

“I visited Nathan again to show him my post had over 1400 likes and loves (over just 24 hours), told him that it’s not all Rabbitoh fans (just those on this Facebook page) and even 10 years after he stopped playing for the Rabbitohs, the fans still love him,” the fan wrote.

“The look on his face said it all, and made his recovery even quicker. Thank you everyone.”

His family, friends and the rugby league community rallied around Merritt with his former club South Sydney lending its support.

“We are so happy to hear directly from his immediate family that Merro’s condition is improving,” the Rabbitohs said recently.

“He is being looked after by the best medical practitioners, and he is in the thoughts of everyone connected to the Rabbitohs. It will be a slow recovery, but it’s a battle he’s in with all of our support.

It is understood that he suffered an adverse reaction to prescribed pain medication.

Merritt is one of South Sydney’s all-time greats.

The one-time NSW player sits third on South Sydney’s try-scoring tally with 151 tries from 208 NRL games for the club. He also played two seasons with Cronulla between 2004 and 2005.

Sacked via video: The strange story of Josh Mansour​

A contender for the weirdest sports story of the year has unfolded at the South Sydney club, featuring veteran stalwart Josh Mansour.

It’s a long and complicated story, but essentially Mansour learned he wasn’t being retained by the Rabbitohs when the club aired a farewell video for players retiring that year - and his face was the first one up.

“We get to the end of the year, we’re in the video room and they said ‘we’re going to put in a little farewell video for the guys that are leaving and want to thank them for their time’,” Mansour recalled in a podcast.

“I was the first one there. I didn’t even know that I was leaving. I was the first one on the clip.”

Back