General Knights nab Packer on four-year NRL deal

Slamminkiwi

Slamminkiwi

Warriors and Test prop Russell Packer is headed to Newcastle next season after penning a four-year deal with the NRL club.
The 23-year-old was released from the final year of his contract at the Warriors, with whom he made his NRL debut in 2008.
Packer has played 110 games for the Auckland-based club and two Tests for the Kiwis.
"I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Warriors since joining the club in 2007 but to have the opportunity to play at the Knights and to be coached by Wayne Bennett is special," said Packer, who will relocate to Newcastle with his young family ahead of pre-season training in November.
"I look forward to joining the Knights in the pre-season and assisting the Knights premiership ambitions."
Newcastle chief executive Matt Gidley said Packer will add plenty of power to an already solid Knights pack.
"Russell is a young Kiwi international and will compliment our current front row stocks," he said.
"His addition to our squad will also bring further confidence to the team."

From NRL.com.

Sign of things to come??

bb

bb

I know packer isn't known to have the best attitude. But when a coach name Wayne picks him for his team. It doesn't full me with confidence with the warriors management

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
BA-AD Luck

BA-AD Luck

I know packer isn't known the the best attitude. But when a coach name Wayne picks him for his team. It doesn't full me with confidence with the warriors management
It's not that Wayne picked him up so quickly, it's the fact they gave him four years which hits home how much of an asset he really could be.

Reactions: 2 users
Maraea

Maraea

Bennett and their senior players will help to transform Packer into one of the best props in the nrl if not the best, health willing. Wont be surprised if Ropati gets an extension or a new role as assistant extraordinaire! What a joke. Go hard Rusty! Be the best

Reactions: 3 users
snake77

snake77

They have a pretty good forward pack already with Snowden, Mason, Smith, Fa'alogo I'm probably missing out a few as well.
Packer is probably aimed at replacing Costigan.

Knights are going to be tough next season.

Hitman82

Hitman82

When Packer lives to fulfill his potential, which I have no doubt he will under Bennett, there will be many moaning about how we let such a talent go. But there is no point, as it is clear he needs a new environment to achieve his best, and this could not happen at the Warriors.
These things happen, best of luck to Russell and the Knights.

Now FFS let's sing a monster prop.

Reactions: 7 users

Warriors95

Should have kept him. Lillyman should have been sold before Packer.

Reactions: 2 users
Slamminkiwi

Slamminkiwi

It's just disappointing that a player with 5 years’ experience and 110 games but ONLY 23 years old is leaving our club!

Reactions: 1 user

Jordan G

Good luck to Rusty, but he was dead weight here with no sign of improving. Best outcome for both player and club.

We'll see what the Knights can do with him. Although I rate him very highly I don't buy the "Bennett turns water into wine" argument with every player. Rusty will have to do his part if he wants to succeed.

SkinnyRavs82

SkinnyRavs82

Meh whatever. Let him walk. To me he's always either sitting on the sidelines injured or what not. Yeah perhaps he will do better there and that's fine.

Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
Reckon Rusty has been given a great opportunity. It' s up to him what he does with it. There's something radically wrong at the Warriors when instead of making the effort to support & encourage an experienced, valuable player with whatever issues the club just lets him go. That's too easy imo. Players like Packer are what makes a winning team albeit they may be a bit high-maintainence. Like others he will leave slightly tarnished and in the hands of the right coach become solid gold - playing against the Warriors. :(

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
When Packer lives to fulfill his potential, which I have no doubt he will under Bennett, there will be many moaning about how we let such a talent go. But there is no point, as it is clear he needs a new environment to achieve his best, and this could not happen at the Warriors.

I'd be incredibly surprised if we went out and signed another prop based on the comments from the club. They think they've got enough in the propping ranks at present with Matulino, Rapira, Lillyman, Matagi, Lousi, Gubb. Whether or not those guys do the job is another thing, but yeah...just can't see it happening.

Hitman82

Hitman82

I'd be incredibly surprised if we went out and signed another prop based on the comments from the club. They think they've got enough in the propping ranks at present with Matulino, Rapira, Lillyman, Matagi, Lousi, Gubb. Whether or not those guys do the job is another thing, but yeah...just can't see it happening.

I know. I am actually just posting my pipe dreams.

Some who called it early were correct in my opinion: Matagi's emergence and Gubb's promise pretty much sealed Packer as a potential send-off. And when it became apparent he was disillusioned with the club (possibly mutual here) it was a done deal.

We have enough QUANTITY of props. But I am very unhappy with the physical stats of these guys, and the impact they have at the line. I already felt we were undercooked in the physicality department, now we are actually without a mixing bowl.

Terrible analogies aside - hopefully other posters' thoughts prove correct and our beefed up second row can make a huge difference.

But sorry pals... I see this happening in round 1: 13 Lowrie. 17 Henry. Instantly, too many smallish / defensive oriented second rowers.

With a few forwards off contract Next year, I see 2014 as our monster prop recruitment season. In the meantime, Gubb, Lousi (x2), Matagi, Vete will be given their chance to prove they are the real deal.

slaughterhouse.sa

But do we all really think Bennett will be there past 2014...I dont think so.
But definately wish Packer all the best - at the very least that he holds his place.[DOUBLEPOST=1380689638][/DOUBLEPOST]
I know. I am actually just posting my pipe dreams.

Some who called it early were correct in my opinion: Matagi's emergence and Gubb's promise pretty much sealed Packer as a potential send-off. And when it became apparent he was disillusioned with the club (possibly mutual here) it was a done deal.

We have enough QUANTITY of props. But I am very unhappy with the physical stats of these guys, and the impact they have at the line. I already felt we were undercooked in the physicality department, now we are actually without a mixing bowl.

Terrible analogies aside - hopefully other posters' thoughts prove correct and our beefed up second row can make a huge difference.

But sorry pals... I see this happening in round 1: 13 Lowrie. 17 Henry. Instantly, too many smallish / defensive oriented second rowers.

With a few forwards off contract Next year, I see 2014 as our monster prop recruitment season. In the meantime, Gubb, Lousi (x2), Matagi, Vete will be given their chance to prove they are the real deal.

Again I think Lisone will become a big bopper - he must be 6ft+ and 110kg.
He has plenty of punch and still another year in 20s.

Wait til you see the kid from Mangere East - Paul Tulli for 20s next year.
He is an absolute beast.

Hitman82

Hitman82

But definately wish Packer all the best - at the very least that he holds his place.[DOUBLEPOST=1380689638][/DOUBLEPOST]

He is an absolute beast.

That will be interesting man. One season under Bennett could be all Packer needs. TBH, if he can sort his legs I don't really think Packer needs special treatment or a special coach. He's probably just a loyal mate and has put that ahead of the club = "attitude problem". Plus yes he is a pretty rough character... but his work ethic has never been questioned.
He'll either go great or succumb to the legs.

Haha when i first saw Lisone play I thought it was Sam Lousi, then realised I was time-travelling haha.

slaughterhouse.sa

That will be interesting man. One season under Bennett could be all Packer needs. TBH, if he can sort his legs I don't really think Packer needs special treatment or a special coach. He's probably just a loyal mate and has put that ahead of the club = "attitude problem". Plus yes he is a pretty rough character... but his work ethic has never been questioned.
He'll either go great or succumb to the legs.

Haha when i first saw Lisone play I thought it was Sam Lousi, then realised I was time-travelling haha.

Work ethic never questioned....well Im questioning it.
How many hittups has he done this year?
How much weight was he carrying?

Once he is on the field - he fought and played hard.
No doubt - but you cant put it all down too injury problems.

Guys on crutches dont put on that much weight.

Reactions: 1 users
OMG

OMG

He is an absolute beast.

Bennett will see out his 4 years, if he was going to cut it short it would have been this year,
Russell seems to be the missing cog in that pack, a full off season for the first time for a few years will mean he will be humming, the Knights will be very tough next year..great pack and a backline a year wiser-big contenders

Buck777

I'm not unhappy he's gone. Driving home today from up north it was announced that he was going and the newsreader said ' packer has said 'get used to it - I won't be the last'. Then went on to say Matulino and Locke might leave. To me that's a parting shot at the warriors and us. Hearing reports he stormed out of the player awards night. We talk a lot on hear about 'bad attitudes' and 'cancer culture'. Maybe a bit of the cause of it is now leaving.

Just hope Matulino hasn't been too influenced by him and stays. He'll find the place is going to get better and better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Hitman82

Hitman82

Work ethic never questioned....well Im questioning it.
How many hittups has he done this year?
How much weight was he carrying?

Once he is on the field - he fought and played hard.
No doubt - but you cant put it all down too injury problems.

Guys on crutches dont put on that much weight.

Can't really rate Packer on this season as he was either
A) coming back from injury, B) injured during the game, or C) not playing due to injury.
In past seasons, everybody has jizzed over his work on the field and rated him as the enforcer part of our "best props in the comp".
Questioning work ethic this season is murky regardless, go have a look at Locke and Matulino's performances in 2013, even without injuries.