Social A Weighty Issue

Wow.. I always thought type 2 was the one that you could manage by way of weight loss.
Yea turns out that it can get u for other reasons. Most likely i did the damage many years earlier with a rather indulgent lifestyle, i dunno and probably never will.
It was a real kick in the teeth after thinking i had done so well for myself. But shit happens. Hopefully from here its all moving forward.

The carnivore diet = Keto diet, keto short for ketones/ ketosis which is effectively what your body uses for energy when starved of glucose / carbs. Ketones comes from fats/ proteins.

For me, I noticed whenever I had a heavy high carb lunch like pasta or rice, I always needed coffee after otherwise I would feel really drowsy and need a nap. I would also feel bloated.

Eating a 100% meat only lunch eg big piece of steak, I don’t get that massive crash or bloated feeling. I also find my appetite is consistent ie I don’t have massive cravings. These are so many benefits I can honestly attest to

1. Weight lost
2. Improvements to mood
3. Mental clarity, better focus
4. No food / sugar cravings
5. No bloating
6. Skin and complexion improvements
7. Increased immunity - I don’t get colds or flu

I’ve been eating like this for over a year now and believe my health has significantly improved from this diet. I’m not religiously strict though. But it’s pretty much meat only but do like avocado’s so will sometimes add that as a side

When first moving to a protein only diet, you’re starving your body of glucose (effectively what carbs convert into for energy) so initially you will have these massive sugar cravings. I think the first week I literally got out of bed and drove to the supermarket to buy a tub of ice cream to scoff down!

But once your body has adjusted after a couple of weeks, these cravings go away. I don’t eat any sweets nor crave for it now. I used to be a sweet and chocolate junkie.

And I didn’t jump in this diet because of health issues. I actually just love eating steak, chicken, lamb, bacon, ham. My sister and her husband are 100% vegans. The total opposite. So I was alittle weary thinking eating such a heavy meat diet can’t be healthy but it ended up the complete opposite after I did my research

Maybe its different for each individual but I would recommend people do their research, especially if they don’t feel healthy overall on their present diet and lifestyle, and see if this diet helps . There’s actually a ton of videos you can find on YouTube .
Yea its been an interesting couple of months since i have basically reduced my carbs by around 95%. I still like a bit of toast with soup, and ya got to have something to put the penutbutter onto (mostly vitawheat crackers, slathered in butter and piled with penutbutter so i only need a couple).
The biggest issue for me has been the dead zone which i hit in the afternoons between 2 and 4. Energy is non existent. Sometimes this drags out, other times i seem to bounce back pretty fast but it hits nearly every day and kills any momentum i build up on my project work.
I'm still in the process of changing what i eat and when. Cutting the Carbs like i said earlier wasnt that hard as I had already reduced them by so much. But what i wasnt aware of was that i had been supplementing the missing carbs with lots of pure sugar in the form of biscuits, chocolate etc. The loss of both the sugar from carbs and the pure sugar from the treat stuff slaughtered me.

I hope to have a handle on energy levels soon. I'm currently working with a dietician, dr and a wife - how can i go wrong???

While we're sharing, here's my story. Lost 30kg bit over 7 years ago by doing weight watchers. Lost it in about 6 months. In hindsight probably too fast. I ate very healthy 100% of the time. Makes it quite tricky to maintain. I walked a lot, around 80km a week, give or take. Started running too and did a half marathon, but out of nowhere deveoped a medical condition called Transverse Myelitis and I can't run anymore and only walk much shorter amounts now. Put on a few kg which I'm trying to lose now.
Keep at it.
I know i got fit enough early on when still trying to lose the weight that i started, running - yea lets call it that. Anyway my "running" was really starting to improve and then i blew out first one knee then the other. The physio "politely" told me i was to fat to run and should work on strengthening and longer walks instead.
Now i dont even try and run, just regular walks. Pretty much adhere to the Nasa rules of 30 mins a day walking minimum. Elevate heart rate to above normal and hold it there. Then i add some golf (more walking), pilates and lots of working on the never finished house. I am such an old white guy. No impact sports and if i lived by the water i would have to have a sail boat ;) (not that i could afford one)
PS i am sure you will agree, stairs suck.

Another thing I've been hearing recently is starting your day with protein as the first thing you eat (whatever it is) really makes a difference to all the glucose spikes and whatever throughout the day, so may help reduce the lulls.

Haven't really tested this myself much, but something to consider.

is 6 inch sunway tuna whole meal bread ok to have for a close to diabetic im 160 blood sugar my dr told me im pre diabetic so change fast food and lose weight back to the question re subway I'm 76 age

Glad to hear you are effectively dealing with your health issues, though having to manage diabetes is a hard one.

My dad got it later in life (officially in his 50s) so it's certainly one of a bunch of potential hereditary health things I'll need to consider as I get closer to my 50s myself (turning 42 the day after we win the grand final 😉).

On the vege vs not vege diet, I was actually at my heaviest and shittiest feeling early on in 2020 doing the mostly vegetarian thing while in a relationship with a vegetarian (a lot of bad sugary stuff consumed during that time of course).

Cracked the 100kg mark for the first time in my life (being 5'6 that's pretty heavy) which was an eye opener, and as I delved deep into health and wellness podcasts since the pandemic, have been making more concerted efforts to eat less shitty things and do more exercise - particularly regular walks and resistance training (I've never been a runner and not starting that now either 😅).

Aforementioned relationship ended last year and I've been all in on the Meeeeeeat train since (got down to 84kg at the lowest this time last year but have been back at the 90ish kg mark pretty consistently - damn you Kit Kat Milo bars always falling in my mouth 😅)
yea watch those "bars" they are the pure sugar that i was talking about.

Reactions: kos
I wish I had good sound qualifications to offer medical advice. Instead what I know is, my body feels immensely better with regular physical exertion and good food. My body feels better when I eat better and every single (YouTube) expert I've watched says eat a balanced healthy diet.

So my body feels great when I eat home cooked meat and veges. Takeaways are largely grossly unhealthy and I grew up enjoying it. After making a conscious effort to simply take time to prepare and cook at home has done wonders. Cutting right back on processed stuff has benefitted too.

I grew up in Gisborne with two working parents and we always had plenty of food. Looking back, most of it was healthy, full of fibre and abundant.

As I left home things slowly increased in cost and I adopted the approach of buying as much food as I could afford. So quantity was king. Now I buy as much healthy food as I can afford trying to get quantity and quality. I subsidise that by growing fruit and veg which helps to reduce use of chemicals, how far food has to travel to get to me and the number of sets of hands it goes through also.

Nobody is making it out of here alive so be as healthy as you choose to be and learn from each other what might work for you. Keep going team.
My old man was a builder, steak eggs and chips, followed by a desert, as often as we could afford them. Salads were a sometimes food. My mother has now said many times that she regrets ever making us clear our plates for every meal. Something i have never enforced with my kid, and she has such a better outlook on food than i ever had.

Frank I was at the game at Suncorp yesterday and a lot of our Polynesian Nzw supporters were obese. Not so much the Palangi Nzw supporters.The three guys beside me knocked over four beers and two bourbon cokes over at a cost of say $300
Aus Nz society has a problem with alcohol and junk food dependency which is going to see us as another Usa
I m preaching as a converted after getting diagnosed with diabetes two last year I gave up all “”obvious” sugar foods and all alcohol intake apart from two visits to husk distilleries at Tumbulgum twice a year their rum is awesome.
I went back to Nz in July first time in a year and family members tried to peer group prsssure me into sugar food and alcohol.
They failed and were disappointed but I see them getting the d2 diagnosis before long. In fact I was so disappointed in their attitudes I will skip visiting Nz next year.
Hey Kos do you mind me asking have they put u on meds or are you managing with diet alone? If its two personal to discuss in public, feel free to PM me. Just really interested in hearing from a mate that has been at this longer than me.

No worries. Yes I m on metformin xr 1000mg.
In my case the whole thing is genetic. I lost 17 kg 2007/2022 and for most of that period up to July last year was below the d2 number
Once I went above it my lady doc put me on the metformin and along with zero alcohol and cutting out obvious sugar foods I am back below the number again.

Prev poster re subway - it’s the better takeaway option but there can be lotta sugar in the bread and sauce maybe go wrap plus all the salad plus protein ie chicken beef

I do prob an hours exercise a day you gotta keep moving although my paid and volunteer work is driving not the best but at least it’s stop start work not continuous

Every body is different but
Lose weight
Ditch alcohol
Ditch obvious sugar foods
Exercise keep moving

I still eat chocolate. Seventy per cent dark doc reckons it is ok.

Good luck

The other thing I eat oat cereal for breakfast with a handful of mixed raw nuts.
Keeps me going for hours
And if I m not working main meal is lunch dinner smaller

No worries. Yes I m on metformin xr 1000mg.
In my case the whole thing is genetic. I lost 17 kg 2007/2022 and for most of that period up to July last year was below the d2 number
Once I went above it my lady doc put me on the metformin and along with zero alcohol and cutting out obvious sugar foods I am back below the number again.

Prev poster re subway - it’s the better takeaway option but there can be lotta sugar in the bread and sauce maybe go wrap plus all the salad plus protein ie chicken beef

I do prob an hours exercise a day you gotta keep moving although my paid and volunteer work is driving not the best but at least it’s stop start work not continuous

Every body is different but
Lose weight
Ditch alcohol
Ditch obvious sugar foods
Exercise keep moving

I still eat chocolate. Seventy per cent dark doc reckons it is ok.

Good luck
Gratz on losing the weight man. I know i have been working on it for years, ever since my heart troubles near 15 years ago. Slow and steady wins this race

if it helps i have found a keto choc and a keto icecream, both have sugars below 2% per 100
Actually the choc is actually not that great, its actually 7.5 as i just found out so no cant reccomend that even though it says Keto friendly. Hell a beer is friendly and its 40% or something (i dont have any in the house to check so might be wrong)
the icecream though is Denada and the one i have in the fridge is 1.5% per 100 though it changes by flavour. I have yet to find the mint choc flav, as its supposed to be 0.2% or something

just had a look im on Metex XR at 500mg, 1 per day.
Whats your numbers goal ? i'm supposed to be between 6 and 8 with a goal of always under 7. But i find that depends on what time of day i test at, IE after eating - say 2 hours i even saw a 10.4 the other day, but an hour later i was a 4.5

The other thing I eat oat cereal for breakfast with a handful of mixed raw nuts.
Keeps me going for hours
And if I m not working main meal is lunch dinner smaller
Im on rolled oats - uncle tobys brand i think, but i have it with Berries and a spoon of canned mixed fruit. Mixed nuts is what i use as a between meal snack.

Same numbers. But always take blood test first thing in am after nights fasting

The nuts with your cereal would give you protein / energy start of day
She/ dr only lets me eat two fruit a day but five veges a day

Hi all, with Miket12's permission i am restarting this very important thread on health and mental issues.

A while back i thought i would be coming on here at some stage to post some good news. That being the huge amount of weight that i finally managed to lose and all about my new healthier lifestyle, mostly inspired by MikeT12 and others on the site.
Unfortunately, that was not to be.

I have lost somewhere in the realms of 25-30 kg. Mostly through diet changes and some increases in physical activity on a daily basis.
However unbeknownst to me, this came at a cost.

I didn't realise it at the time but late last year i started to lose my eyesight. I honestly didn't even notice this happening as it was very gradual. I found myself avoiding computer screens and struggling to watch TV, having difficulty driving at night etc. But i thought it was just the tiredness that i was suffering causing me to be a bit... foggy. I purchased new glasses at the start of this year and destroyed them in months just by continuous cleaning trying to fix my issues. I had plans to go back to the store and demand they replace them as it couldn't be my fault but that didn't happen.

About this time i picked up another issue, this one a little more sensitive in nature. One i didnt even know a male could get. When i finally went and spoke to my Doc about it he took one look and told me i had a problem.

Turns out i have Type 2 Diabetes.

I lost all that weight, but now i got sick and its not the type that gets better on its own.

Now the good news I am sitting at a computer looking at a monitor with nearly no issues. My personal health issue is long gone and not even a factor anymore. Yes i am taking a pill to help with my blood sugar issue, and i check my sugar levels 3 times a day. I am basically on a Keto diet now, but its not all that bad. With the changes in diet i had already taken to lose the weight, i really didn't have to make too many more.

I don't drink alcohol, fizzy drinks, eat pasta, rice, bread or potato, but i have recently found a Keto Icecream thats worth eating, and thank god im still allowed meat, though i focus on white meats mostly. And eggs, god so many eggs.

But the best thing is I can interact with my friends again on here. I can put up with losing a lot, but my eyesight isn't one of them.

So while i may not be on as much as i once was, expect to see me around a bit more than i have been recently.

Cheers all
Long live the rainbows and butterflies

total weight loss, somewhere from +128 kgs to last reading at 104 kgs and still dropping
hey bro, I understand. I got told over 10 year ago I had prediabetes. Apparently many with prediabetes develop full Type 2.

I thought oh yeah, and changed nothing. It was after all just a number on my blood test. I had given up drinking and sugar drinks. Everything was diet coke.

My blood sugar levels remained relatively stable, even though I was still prediabetic.

Nothing happened but then about three years ago I started really putting on weight. Nothing I did could stop it.

So I googled weight loss and found Jenny Craig. I lost about 12 kg in 9 months. It was a starvation diet, although their food products did help.

They went broke though, and now I am on my own....but that wasn't all...

When you lose fat by starving, you also lose muscle, and the heart is a muscle. That is really scary and they don't tell you that. Mood swings and the like.

Anyway since I lost 12 kilos, I have put 4 kilos back on diet and all, but I am pretty stable.

I eat like a sparrow. No muffins sweet or savory, no bread, no rice, no cake, no ice cream. Plain yoghurt. Basically some cheese and crackers, with some meat and lots of salad, minimal fruit, o booze, no diet coke, but I still cannot lose weight...and I do way more physical work than most people.

It is a boring existence but it gets worse...

There is a link between diabetes and kidney malfunction...now that is real scary....and my creatinine levels are in the serious range.

Try googling some information on diabetes and kidney function. A lot of it is shite, but some is good stuff.

You are not alone bro, take care, and diet coke makes you almost as fat as the standard variety.

hey bro, I understand. I got told over 10 year ago I had prediabetes. Apparently many with prediabetes develop full Type 2.

I thought oh yeah, and changed nothing. It was after all just a number on my blood test. I had given up drinking and sugar drinks. Everything was diet coke.

My blood sugar levels remained relatively stable, even though I was still prediabetic.

Nothing happened but then about three years ago I started really putting on weight. Nothing I did could stop it.

So I googled weight loss and found Jenny Craig. I lost about 12 kg in 9 months. It was a starvation diet, although their food products did help.

When you lose fat by starving, you also lose muscle, and the heart is a muscle. That is really scary and they don't tell you that. Mood swings and the like.

Anyway since I lost 12 kilos, I have put 4 kilos back on diet and all, but I am pretty stable.

I eat like a sparrow. No muffins sweet or savory, no bread, no rice, no cake, no ice cream. Plain yoghurt. Basically some cheese and crackers, with some meat and lots of salad, minimal fruit, o booze, no diet coke, but I still cannot lose weight...and I do way more physical work than most people.

There is a link between diabetes and kidney malfunction...now that is real scary....and my creatinine levels are in the serious range.

Try googling some information on diabetes and kidney function. A lot of it is shite, but some is good stuff.

You are not alone bro, take care, and diet coke makes you almost as fat as the standard variety.
Yeah we are all different and have different reactions
Have you got into walking ?

And… see a dietician. There some really good ones in Auck or there was when I lived there

While we're sharing, here's my story. Lost 30kg bit over 7 years ago by doing weight watchers. Lost it in about 6 months. In hindsight probably too fast. I ate very healthy 100% of the time. Makes it quite tricky to maintain. I walked a lot, around 80km a week, give or take. Started running too and did a half marathon, but out of nowhere deveoped a medical condition called Transverse Myelitis and I can't run anymore and only walk much shorter amounts now. Put on a few kg which I'm trying to lose now.
Geez when I saw you I thought you were really slim

Yeah we are all different and have different reactions
Have you got into walking ?

And… see a dietician. There some really good ones in Auck or there was when I lived there
Yes that will be my next step. I was going to try one once but chickened out. The thing is that a lot of these weight loss people don't understand different types. Some people can do keto, some cannot. I am sure vegetarian works which will be my next move. Currently trying fish instead of meat.

Reactions: kos

when i was diagnosed i became eligible for the NDS National Diabetic Society, they have a lot of good shit on their website, which honestly is probably all available to the public anyway. so i have read a heap of stuff so far.

Honestly the food i miss the most is the fruit. Berries i am allowed, everything else is considered a cheat(ish). Never been a big fan of cheese but find myself adding it to a lot now. And yep already sick of salad, salad and salad. I gave up on all fizzy years ago, i think your right about the diet being as bad

As someone said to me the other day, there is no such thing as prediabeties, its just a way of saying your a diabetic with out needing the meds. Long may that last for you. for me the boring is still fairly new. I worry that over time i will slip. The scare of losing my eyesight was huge, but its hard to hang on to a fear through the years. But thats the stick.

The carrot is that i am still here for my family. Honestly if it werent for that i would've given up years ago.

Back