Internationals Kiwis vs Tonga

Fonzie

Fonzie

How I think Madge will have them line up.

1 Dall Wat Zel
2 R Muli
3 P Hik
4 J Man
5 K Mauma
6 K For
7 J Hug
8 J Bro
9 Cheese
10 JFH
11 I Papa
12 K Bro
13 J Tap

14 D Bro
15 B Nik
16 Mo Leo
17 NAS
Madge has said Manu will be FB

Reactions: 2 users
Raw Power

Raw Power

Madge has said Manu will be FB
Magic round time, in a night club in Brisbane, my son got talking to Kenny Bromwich and Hughes from the Storm and they were getting really excited about having Manu as fullback in the Test.

Reactions: 9 users
runituptheguts

runituptheguts

These are the only FG players I can think of (That haven't already been named for the Kiwis or otherwise), and I don't even know if Marzhew or Tamou are eligible.

1- Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4- Esan Marsters
5- Greg Marzhew
8- James Tamou
10- Tepai Moeroa
12- TC Robati
13- Francis Molo

Every other international team has already been named excluding them, I wouldn't be surprised if that is because Tony Iro himself doesn't know who is eligible lol
Francis Molo has been named in the Samoan squad and I'm pretty sure Marzhew is Samoan also.

Reactions: 1 user

Selector

I was under the impression players could play for any of the island nations AND s.o.o. this time it was mainly the timing that caused issues. Only tier 1 nation players couldn't play for both.

You are correct. However, the NRL has now realised that this decision potentially effects their cash cow SOO. So what are they doing, they have decided from next year there will no longer be midseason tests.

Take a look at the team list for this years game 1. How many are of PI ancestry 9 NSW players & 6 QLD players. We can't have our best players playing for their Countries instead of SOO.

Reactions: 4 users

drake83

You are correct. However, the NRL has now realised that this decision potentially effects their cash cow SOO. So what are they doing, they have decided from next year there will no longer be midseason tests.

Take a look at the team list for this years game 1. How many are of PI ancestry 9 NSW players & 6 QLD players. We can't have our best players playing for their Countries instead of SOO.
Have they really decided that. How do they expect the game to grow? Short sightedness.
The NZRL have to come up with a concept to counter origin

Reactions: 5 users
jonesy101

jonesy101

Have they really decided that. How do they expect the game to grow? Short sightedness.
The NZRL have to come up with a concept to counter origin
Sadly they have. There's some detail about it here:

A mid-season NZ v Tonga / NZ v Samoa test match or tri-series could have grown into something really great alongside State of Origin.

Read Des Haslers comments here about this season, you'll probably shake your head in disbelief:

• Angry

drake83

A mid-season NZ v Tonga / NZ v Samoa test match or tri-series could have grown into something really great alongside State of Origin.

Read Des Haslers comments here about this season, you'll probably shake your head in disbelief:

These games have the potential to rival or be better than origin.
I wish the NZRL pushed through Auckland v Tye Heartland when that was spoken about over 10 years ago that could have been a rivalry by now

Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor

Aus doing all they can to kill the international game. Or skew any meaningful games/cups heavily in their own favour.

Reactions: 4 users
Blackdot

Blackdot

I personally hope more Kiwi and Australian Polynesian heritage players opt to play for the island nations, however I can't fault Hasler there, or Olakau'atu if he decides to rep Australia. Doesn't quite sit right with me being upset at a player for wanting to play for the country they were born and lived their entire life in.

Reactions: 1 users
jonesy101

jonesy101

Aus doing all they can to kill the international game. Or skew any meaningful games/cups heavily in their own favour.
Unfortunately it will mean Kiwi players and Pacific players born and raised outside of Australia that play in the NRL being starved of rep footy. I can't think of any viable alternatives. Its too far for GB to travel and prepare for a single game and the Denver test was a disaster. And outside of SOO its difficult enough for clubs to release players, let alone the NZRL trying something that doesn't have the support of the NRL.

It was bad enough in the days of the judiciary trumping up charges in the lead in to test matches. The Isaac Luke suspension that got dished out was a travesty. Its over 10 ago years now, but it still hits a raw nerve lol.

Reactions: 1 users
jonesy101

jonesy101

I personally hope more Kiwi and Australian Polynesian heritage players opt to play for the island nations, however I can't fault Hasler there, or Olakau'atu if he decides to rep Australia. Doesn't quite sit right with me being upset at a player for wanting to play for the country they were born and lived their entire life in.
Agree with the choice any player makes, its up to Olakau'atu to decide what he wants to do and he should be respected with whatever decision that is. The context here though is that apparently he is thinking about representing Tonga over NSW. Des shouldn't be making any public comment that puts pressure on him and its particularly galling that its on a news headline on the NSWRL official site.

Reactions: 6 users
brightman

brightman

Its too far for GB to travel and prepare for a single game and the Denver test was a disaster.
The Denver Test was a disaster because the NRL didn't want to back it. Given time it would have become a big ticket for the NZRL and RFL but just like the mid-season pacific tests, it threatens SOOs' dominance and the stranglehold they have over financial reward.
It was the right idea and that's why Wayne Bennett got behind it, unfortunately it takes Moore than that..

jonesy101

jonesy101

Was nice to see Dan Ginanne say in last nights commentary during the Storm v Broncos game that the Kiwis v Tonga test is shaping up to be the game of the weekend, even with the SOO on Sunday night.

ArtySubs

ArtySubs

These games have the potential to rival or be better than origin.
I wish the NZRL pushed through Auckland v Tye Heartland when that was spoken about over 10 years ago that could have been a rivalry by now
Yeah but unfortunately no one will pay the. Players $40k + each to play these tests.
At the end of the day that’s what killing international football, why would you play for the Kiwis or Tonga/Samoa if the dates clashed with a pat day like that.
It’s also ruined SOO I stopped watching once Mal took over cause most of these guys aren’t even bothered they just want a payday, gone are the utter hatred NSW/QLDrs had against each other that made the concept awesome.
NRL best competition of nearly any sport but International game is a joke.

• Love
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
I’m looking forward to the test match - not a lot of publicity to date.
Although seems to be kicking in now with Michael Maguire on Breakfast TV.
How are ticket sales looking?

Reactions: 3 users
Mr. Muller

Mr. Muller

Once the Kiwis started beating the Kangaroos regularly the writing was on the wall. The Tongans were encouraged to defect from the Kiwis and elect to represent Tonga over their country of birth (NZ), the supposed weakening of the Kiwis began.
Ironically, all those defectors that chose Tonga can still play at the highest levels of the sport (SOO) and have now taken Tonga to 3rd on the international rankings, one place ahead of the the 4th placed Kangaroos.

So money is a factor but who can put a price on loyalty..

Were those Tongan players encouraged by the Kiwis and Australia to defect from MMT? A lot of those players who I think you’re talking about first represented Tonga before Kiwis, Australia and Origin.

brightman

brightman

Were those Tongan players encouraged by the Kiwis and Australia to defect from MMT? A lot of those players who I think you’re talking about first represented Tonga before Kiwis, Australia and Origin.
Defect to their country of birth first or defect from after..

I could be silly and say even though some were born in NZ they were living in Aus, but then how does that help justify your point of view that they choose Tonga when their parents are also NZ citizens.

At the end of the day my point is the Kangaroos change the rules to suit themselves. Good on Tonga making the most of it because as the Kiwis have known for all too long, the ozzies hate to lose and have already made it Tongan selectors jobs more challenging..

Last edited:
Raw Power

Raw Power

Once the Kiwis started beating the Kangaroos regularly the writing was on the wall. The Tongans were encouraged to defect from the Kiwis and elect to represent Tonga over their country of birth (NZ), the supposed weakening of the Kiwis began.
Ironically, all those defectors that chose Tonga can still play at the highest levels of the sport (SOO) and have now taken Tonga to 3rd on the international rankings, one place ahead of the the 4th placed Kangaroos.

So money is a factor but who can put a price on loyalty..

Our World Cup winning Captain, Nathan Cayless was born in Sydney... Nightingale also, and now Scott Sorensen is added to the side, also born in Sydney. I am sure there are others also born outside of NZ who have done the Kiwi Jersey proud... so it can go both ways.

Reactions: 3 users
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
I’m looking forward to the test match - not a lot of publicity to date.
Although seems to be kicking in now with Michael Maguire on Breakfast TV.
How are ticket sales looking?
My tickets are sorted!