Internationals Kiwis vs Kangaroos 2018

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
what do we think needs to improve going forward?

Edge defense is probably the biggest thing for me, quite a few missed tackles down both sides.

Also need to improve our left hand attack, the first try came from a Taupau offload and the second was from some Johnson magic so I'd like to see something more there. They went to Liu a lot with the short ball but never really managed to create the gap for him to get through so might need to put that one on the shelf for the time being. There were quite a few chances where we sucked in the defense and had Maumalo unmarked on the wing so hopefully they keep that in mind next time and look for the long ball.

I'd like to see the team use Dallin Watene-Zelezniak more in the attacking 20, there were a few times where they had a setup where he'd run the inside line or the sweep role but the ball just didn't seem to find him much.

Missed opportunities also got us, Johnson and Smith both missed out on what should have been tries. Johnson should have pinned his ears back and Smith needed to play closer attention to what he was doing. Kata would have been wrung out for 3-4 pages if he had grounded the ball on someone's foot while looking right at it. Think those two will definitely be regretting those.

The mid to long kicking game also needs a bit of work as well imo.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I’m thinking he’ll return to the wing in place of Maumalo, his carries are arguably as strong out of the backfield and I reckon he scores that try on the weekend with his extra speed.

Trying to recall the last player to Captain from the wing, maybe big Dell for the Broncos or Luke Burt (Eels), anyway, it doesn’t happen that often.

Dane O’ Hara for the Kiwis around 1979

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Christchurch
An interesting stat. Since the 2010’s wins between kiwis and kangaroos

Australi 15 - Kiwis 5 - kiwis win 1 game every 3 test matches

End of your year test matches

Australia 8 - Kiwis 4 - kiwis win every 2 test matches

Not as bad as you would think. Hopefully that record improves over the next 2 years. Hopefully now the Anzac test is taken out we will see better test results against Aussie.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
An interesting stat. Since the 2010’s wins between kiwis and kangaroos

Australi 15 - Kiwis 5 - kiwis win 1 game every 3 test matches

End of your year test matches

Australia 8 - Kiwis 4 - kiwis win every 2 test matches

Not as bad as you would think. Hopefully that record improves over the next 2 years. Hopefully now the Anzac test is taken out we will see better test results against Aussie.

Your maths is off - 4 wins out of 12 is 1 in 3

But good perspective when you take out the mid-year tests

Much more competitive than the Bledisloe I would think

Reactions: bruce and ttkk19

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
Interesting that the kangaroos had a number of players who were apparently "undercooked" from not having played in a number of weeks.

Eg: Cook, Gagai bowes out in the preliminary final I think.

The Trbojevic brothers and DCE hadn't played since round 25.

Hunt and Frizzell were week 2 finals exit guys I believe.

Mclean round 25.
Klemmer round 25.
Mcguire week 1 of the finals.

So does that mean Esarn. Rapz. Proctor. Marty T were all under cooked too? Or our Warriors as week 1 exits? Or Dragons and Broncos reps?

What a cop out?

My highly opinionated opinion is that the Kangaroos assumed victory.
Meanwhile Madge set about creating change in the Kiwis during the NRL season.

Out coached and out played.

Might not happen next time we play but it sure shook their attitudes up a bit.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings