Internationals Kiwis say they'll win again

Kiwi League_old

Kiwis say they'll win again
By Dean Ritchie
November 13, 2006

COCKY New Zealand greats last night boldly installed the Kiwis as the Tri-Nations favourites - telling Australia to prepare for a repeat of last year's 24-0 nightmare in Leeds.

New Zealand rolled through Great Britain 34-4 in Wellington on Saturday night, throwing some fright and tension into the Kangaroos camp.

New Zealand was $7.50 to win the tournament before the weekend but should tighten to about $3.50 this morning.

The message from New Zealand is clear: We want back-to-back titles.

Great Britain can push New Zealand out of the final with a win against Australia in Brisbane this Saturday evening - but that would seem unlikely.

Former New Zealand captain Hugh McGahan and ex-Kiwi coach Graham Lowe last night installed New Zealand as favourite against an Australia side they feel lacks cohesion.

Asked were the Kiwis now favourites, McGahan said: "Yes, on the back on Saturday's performance against Great Britain.

"Australia has been scratchy. I won't say they lack confidence but they seem to lack some cohesion.

"New Zealand have played themselves into form - despite all the Nathan Fien controversy. They are at their best when they have their backs to the wall. That showed against Great Britain.

"They played the Poms with a power game I haven't seen in a long time."

Lowe, who also coached Manly, the Warriors and North Queensland, said New Zealand has only been outplayed once this tournament.

"The Kiwis are strong favourites - I can't say it any other way," Lowe said.

"Australia have, in a sense, been beaten twice. Once to Great Britain and the Kiwis only lost to them late (in Melbourne) through the brilliance of Darren Lockyer and Greg Inglis.

"The only thing that will deny New Zealand winning is Great Britain beating Australia and the Kiwis missing the final.

"Australia were favourites going into the tournament but New Zealand is growing another leg each week."

McGahan said New Zealand must alter their power tactics against Australia.

"I don't think New Zealand can use that strategy against Australia," he said. "Australians confront that style week in, week out. The Poms don't."

McGahan said he also preferred the more creative Jerome Ropati at five-eighth ahead of Nigel Vagana.

"It'll be a backward step to keep Vagana at five-eighth," he said.

KeepingTheFaith_old

I wish Graham Lowe would shut up sometimes. I still remember after we hammered the Bulldogs in 2003 he came out saying they should engrave the NRL trophy with the Warriors name on it and forget about the rest of the playoffs because we were that far ahead of everyone.

Jesbass_old

This is rediculous. New Zealand thrives on being the underdog. How many times have we, (both Kiwis and Warriors), over-estimated our ability to our detriment? We haven't even made the final yet, and now we're going to easily win it? :roll:

milcr_old

Yeah, have to agree with you there Jesbass. Everyone has forgotten that Aus still has to beat GB this week. Everyone thinks this is a two horse race!! Everyone underestimated the Poms before there first game against Aus, and they ended up winning the thing. Now again everyone is underestimating them saying its as good as a NZ vs Aus Final. Im sure GB has something to say about that however!!!

Skinny_Ravs82

For mind there are two different types of people/

The people who are super confident with themseles and those who are the quiet achievers. I think too it's a bit much to be stating that sort of fact because our future of this really lies on Australia and I think to say that we'd easily make it and WIN even is something which can sometimes backfire and in the past it has back fired pretty badly too. I like to take a differen approach to these things and be confident but not outwardly say it

Jesbass_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
For mind there are two different types of people/

The people who are super confident with themseles and those who are the quiet achievers. I think too it's a bit much to be stating that sort of fact because our future of this really lies on Australia and I think to say that we'd easily make it and WIN even is something which can sometimes backfire and in the past it has back fired pretty badly too. I like to take a differen approach to these things and be confident but not outwardly say it

That is the way I want the NZRL to view it, too. I have no problem with fans coming out and saying that we'll be in the final and we'll win it. But when the media is pushing that, courtesy of ex-Kiwi coaches and the sort, I think it only builds us up for a fall. Remember last year when the administrators booked hotels for the final, but only for Great Britain and Australia? They looked like fools when New Zealand made it through. We may end up appearing the same if Australia lose, (something I don't expect to happen, but it is still possible), especially considering we booked our hotel for the final bfore the series even started. :roll:

Cockiness is not the New Zealand way.

Kav_old

McGahan and Lowe are usually negative about league in this country so their comments should be ignored by all and sundry as simply jumping on the band wagon as it rushes by. The problem is that it is about to hit a brick wall not one made of straw; that's assuming it meets anything at all.

Kav

aussie_warrior_old

I would be VERY surprised if AUS lose this week. I actually thought GB would win against AUS the other week, I should have put money on it though...

This week is going to be very hard, 4th game in a row, without Long against AUS who will be spewing at their last start loss.

I think NZ has a very good chance of winning the following week. Especially after all the trouble we've had to get there. If we play as well as last week, then I think we have a real chance.

Jesbass_old

aussie_warrior said:
I would be VERY surprised if AUS lose this week. I actually thought GB would win against AUS the other week, I should have put money on it though...

This week is going to be very hard, 4th game in a row, without Long against AUS who will be spewing at their last start loss.

I think NZ has a very good chance of winning the following week. Especially after all the trouble we've had to get there. If we play as well as last week, then I think we have a real chance.

I agree. I think we're less of a chance now, though, courtesy of Lowe and McGahan giving the Aussies some ammunition to work with. :/

Wiki_old

GREAT MENTALITY GUYS! YAY I WANT TO BE THE UNDERDOG!

YAY!

YAY!

Whats wrong with a bit of confidence. Don't cower into your corner when someone has some and admit defeat. Geeze.

Jesbass_old

I have nothing against confidence. In fact, I'm confident of making the final, and giving it a good shake up. But pushing this into the media spotlight is giving ammunition to our opposition, which isn't a good thing. Just look at how much our team uses Phil Gould's comments to fire them up to play better. The less said, the better, methinks.

Skinny_Ravs82

Wiki said:

YAY!

YAY!

Whats wrong with a bit of confidence. Don't cower into your corner when someone has some and admit defeat. Geeze.

There is nothing wrong with confidence and being pleased about it; but there is a fine line between being confident and being cocky which some of these past NZ greats are doing. Maybe some Australians work better with outright cockiness but some of us don't choose to do that. When you get too high on it you get let down.

Jesbass_old

Wiki said:
Who says that our team uses Phil Gould's comments to fire them up?

It's common knowledge and widely reported that the Kiwis use the underdog mentality to their advantage, and often use opposing media as fuel for the fire. We have always played best when our backs are against the wall, as mentioned in this article. We have historically struggled as favourites. We tend to defy the odds, even when they are in our favour. I'm surprised you haven't heard of the Kiwis using articles that rubbish them and give them no chance as motivation to win games.

-Dr.J-_old

Wiki said:

YAY!

YAY!

You have to weigh it up. Confidence is sweet as, I know the kiwis will be quietly confident. But doing a Gould and trumpeting about how it's gonna be a win for us is retarded.

This ain't the Mangere Bridge Church's social team we're playing here, it's farkin' Australia. you can't call it eitherway. If you're confident, talk about why you have confidence in what we're up to, don't involve our formidible opposition in the process.

Jesbass_old

-Dr.J- said:
Wiki said:

YAY!

YAY!

You have to weigh it up. Confidence is sweet as, I know the kiwis will be quietly confident. But doing a Gould and trumpeting about how it's gonna be a win for us is retarded.

This ain't the Mangere Bridge Church's social team we're playing here, it's farkin' Australia. you can't call it eitherway. If you're confident, talk about why you have confidence in what we're up to, don't involve our formidible opposition in the process.

You obviously haven't seen the Mangere Bridge Church's social team! :shock: :lol:

Mangi-Maori_old

We all know that no matter who plays against Australia in the Final, they are the favorites. The kiwis are my favorites if they make it, based on Mclennans previous statements that he believed the team would be at its peak by the end of the series, and I think his theory has proven true. The Kiwis should be well rested and oiled, by final weekend, which could play to their advantage.

Hugh McGahan and Graham Lowe league legends on both sides of the tasman, maybe age is getting to them though.

Skinny_Ravs82

Jesbass said:
-Dr.J- said:
Wiki said:

YAY!

YAY!

You obviously haven't seen the Mangere Bridge Church's social team! :shock: :lol:

Dr. J's right. In that respect. I know when I'm totally confident over my team I just talk about them specifically. I try not to involve the opposition in anyway. That side of things will take care of itself. You should believe in your own ability first and foremost.

As for this Mangere Bridge Chruch thing...please explain! :eek: