Internationals Kiwis Coach - Michael Maguire

Do you support Michael Maguire as Kiwis coach?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score

WarriorBall

Kiwis Coach - Michael Maguire

32283741_10155362754531881_6937950540571607040_n.jpg

Stoked to hear Maguire announced as the new Kiwis coach to take the side through to the 2021 World Cup in England.

We couldn't have done better imo, apart from his coaching knowledge he's built strong relationships across the rugby league world and that should benefit us for future tours and tournaments. It's a side point I know but I remember when he took the Rabbitohs to Arizona to train at high altitude which is a good example of the type of useful experiential knowledge we have access to now with the superior calibre of coaching Madge brings and with the success he's already had in England and the knowledge he gained there it seems to me he's well suited to being head coach of an International footy team.

Interested to see how his first side is selected and who he names as captain, he's mentioned he want's players who value the Kiwis jersey and who are thorough professionals in clubland which seems a sound base to start from, a "NO dickheads" policy which is critical given whats been swept under the carpet on recent tours and how that was left to fester under Kidwell.

In terms of the Kiwi defectors he's stated the doors open but the thoughts of the senior playing group would be taken onboard, how he brings it together over the next six weeks will be interesting.

Taumalolo will he won't he?, Russell Packer will he be able to travel to the US with his conviction?, will Blackmore become his assistant coach?, will Adam Blair remain Kiwis captain?, Jesse Bromwich & kevin Proctor will they be welcomed back?, will Benji be selected to play for the Kiwis again?

Plenty of interesting sub plots there and its fantastic that I feel that way because the Kiwis had diminished so much in my eyes over the last couple of years I honestly wondered if I'd regain the passion I once had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Tedster

Tedster

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Really happy to have someone with MacGuire's experience - he was the pick of the applicants and i was listening to a bit of him talking on the way home on radio sport and like what he had to say - onwards and upwards i feel from here although after the world cup you can't go much lower...... ;);) He has a good talent pool to pick from - looking forward to his reign. :D

Reaction score

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm hoping to see Blackmore in the picture
Somewhere .He just needs a break to show
What he can bring .
But I'm stoked this is good news for us
Coach Madge .hell yeah.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Good that it is confirmed and they have gone and got the best coach possible.

Has it been reported what happens with his role with the refs? Likely leave it but it would be funny having a coach who works with the refs every week.

Reaction score
ramraider78

ramraider78

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
NZRL has got something right so far this year - Awesome appointment IMO, time for a new direction; Please NZRL NO more stuff ups lol The Fans do care.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
I think its a great appointment. I do hope fans temper their expectations though. Doesn't matter how good the coach we get for the kiwis, we still have a limited amount of depth in some key areas. We will still only win the odd game against Aussie and will struggle in one off mid season tests

Reaction score

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Stoked as about his appointment. What a step up from kidwell. Fucken oarsome mate.
I always thought as a player, Kidwell was pretty good, and has my respect, but as a coach, horrible. Like you I'm stoked at this appointment and have confidence he will prove to be a great asset to NZRL.

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I always thought as a player, Kidwell was pretty good, and has my respect, but as a coach, horrible. Like you I'm stoked at this appointment and have confidence he will prove to be a great asset to NZRL.
Sucking is a valid pathway to awesomeness. Just ask the 2017 Warriors.

Reaction score
The Batman

The Batman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Great signing by the NZRL. Interested to see who he picks as assistants and his first squad announcement

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
A good appointment. It seems clear Kidwell never had the confidence of anyone includingnthenplayers so this is a good start.

Reaction score

warriors4eva

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
good choice for coach but dont pick any warriors madge, we are having a great year

dont spoil it !

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Awesome to see 55 votes all 100% in support of Madge right now. Probably confidence as well as relief that we have a huge step in from Kidwell. Feel for Kidwell somewhat. He should never have been given the reigns in the first place...

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
A pretty cool article about Maguire's coaching.

I like the bit about his time coaching Wigan and Souths and not playing favourites. Probably would have been a good option for the Warriors seeing as the issues we have had with coaches doing that or guys not putting in as much as they should at training.

I used to tell people back in 2012 that he would of been a better option than McClennan. Sure he won with Leeds but Maguire rebuilt Wigan back to a powerhouse.

Ok it's early days but some of what is coming out of the Kiwis with Peters and Maguire does seem similar to the Warriors turn around this year.

Peter Williams: Head Kiwis coach Michael Maguire is more than a coach
17 Oct, 2018 7:34am

4 minutes to read

New Zealand Kiwis head coach Michael Maguire is something special. Photo / Getty Images
Bay of Plenty Times

The Kiwis' wonderful win over the Kangaroos on Saturday night will have come as no surprise to anyone who's met Michael Maguire, the new Kiwis coach.

Three weeks ago, I had the privilege of being the MC at a youth leadership day in Manukau City. It was organised by the iSport Foundation, a charitable trust originally founded by Richie McCaw and Dan Carter to offer advice and opportunity to secondary school students through sport.

Maguire, or Madge as everybody seems to call him, was one of the speakers. I knew a little bit about his success as a coach including wins at the two biggest occasions in rugby league – the NRL Grand Final and the Challenge Cup at Wembley.

But I didn't know anything of the man's methods or personality. To be honest, I'd figured that if he was any good, he'd have a job in the NRL and wouldn't be taking over a cot case like the Kiwis.

It didn't take long on stage in front of 750 kids to convince me that this guy had something special. He's a born communicator, a confident and fluent speaker who engaged with a large group of teenagers very quickly, and held their attention.

The theme of the day was about how self-leadership is important for group leadership. In other words, how personal responsibility is key to achieving good outcomes in life.

Michael Maguire then talked of his own background – as a rugby union player who was too scared to tell his father when he started playing rugby league – and about some of the challenges he faced when he took over at Wigan in England in 2009.

The stories that resonated were about the so-called stars at Wigan who thought that being late for training was their privilege and right. That was until Maguire dropped them from the match day team, meaning they missed out on bonus payments. Very soon, all players were on time for training.

After success at Wigan he came back to Sydney and was offered the job as coach at South Sydney, a team without a premiership since 1971. Maguire's story goes that at his first meeting with owner Russell Crowe, the New Zealand born movie star talked to him about how the Rabbitohs would be attending this event and appearing on that red carpet, and generally being a high profile part of Sydney celebrity life.

Maguire told Crowe he didn't think that was going to work, so said no thanks to the job.

It was Crowe who changed his mind. Maguire took the job in 2011 and again had issues with senior players at training. He noted some weren't doing a full complement of press-ups during training drills. He stopped the session, identified the culprits and made sure all the players did all the work.

In other words, here was a guy who didn't play favourites, stuck to basics and made sure that if good results were achieved on the training field, there was every chance they would come on game day too.

On Saturday night we saw a Kiwis performance which was far from perfect, especially on defence.

But we saw courage, determination and desire, to go with high levels of ball handling and attacking skill. It was team that looked like it really wanted to win and believed that it could, despite twice falling behind on the scoreboard.

Was this really the same team that was such a rag tag of incompetence during the World Cup last year?

It also reinforced how stupid it was to deny a non-New Zealander the chance to coach the Kiwis for all those years. Coaching is an international business. Good teams appoint the best coaches regardless of where they come from.

Maguire has set some very high standards after Saturday night.

After watching him talk to those secondary school students in late September, I'm not surprised there's a completely different feel to the Kiwis team now.

And as far as we know, nobody was snorting cocaine after the match either.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12143129

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
A pretty cool article about Maguire's coaching.

I like the bit about his time coaching Wigan and Souths and not playing favourites. Probably would have been a good option for the Warriors seeing as the issues we have had with coaches doing that or guys not putting in as much as they should at training.

I used to tell people back in 2012 that he would of been a better option than McClennan. Sure he won with Leeds but Maguire rebuilt Wigan back to a powerhouse.

Ok it's early days but some of what is coming out of the Kiwis with Peters and Maguire does seem similar to the Warriors turn around this year.

Peter Williams: Head Kiwis coach Michael Maguire is more than a coach
17 Oct, 2018 7:34am

4 minutes to read

New Zealand Kiwis head coach Michael Maguire is something special. Photo / Getty Images
Bay of Plenty Times

The Kiwis' wonderful win over the Kangaroos on Saturday night will have come as no surprise to anyone who's met Michael Maguire, the new Kiwis coach.

Three weeks ago, I had the privilege of being the MC at a youth leadership day in Manukau City. It was organised by the iSport Foundation, a charitable trust originally founded by Richie McCaw and Dan Carter to offer advice and opportunity to secondary school students through sport.

Maguire, or Madge as everybody seems to call him, was one of the speakers. I knew a little bit about his success as a coach including wins at the two biggest occasions in rugby league – the NRL Grand Final and the Challenge Cup at Wembley.

But I didn't know anything of the man's methods or personality. To be honest, I'd figured that if he was any good, he'd have a job in the NRL and wouldn't be taking over a cot case like the Kiwis.

It didn't take long on stage in front of 750 kids to convince me that this guy had something special. He's a born communicator, a confident and fluent speaker who engaged with a large group of teenagers very quickly, and held their attention.

The theme of the day was about how self-leadership is important for group leadership. In other words, how personal responsibility is key to achieving good outcomes in life.

Michael Maguire then talked of his own background – as a rugby union player who was too scared to tell his father when he started playing rugby league – and about some of the challenges he faced when he took over at Wigan in England in 2009.

The stories that resonated were about the so-called stars at Wigan who thought that being late for training was their privilege and right. That was until Maguire dropped them from the match day team, meaning they missed out on bonus payments. Very soon, all players were on time for training.

After success at Wigan he came back to Sydney and was offered the job as coach at South Sydney, a team without a premiership since 1971. Maguire's story goes that at his first meeting with owner Russell Crowe, the New Zealand born movie star talked to him about how the Rabbitohs would be attending this event and appearing on that red carpet, and generally being a high profile part of Sydney celebrity life.

Maguire told Crowe he didn't think that was going to work, so said no thanks to the job.

It was Crowe who changed his mind. Maguire took the job in 2011 and again had issues with senior players at training. He noted some weren't doing a full complement of press-ups during training drills. He stopped the session, identified the culprits and made sure all the players did all the work.

In other words, here was a guy who didn't play favourites, stuck to basics and made sure that if good results were achieved on the training field, there was every chance they would come on game day too.

On Saturday night we saw a Kiwis performance which was far from perfect, especially on defence.

But we saw courage, determination and desire, to go with high levels of ball handling and attacking skill. It was team that looked like it really wanted to win and believed that it could, despite twice falling behind on the scoreboard.

Was this really the same team that was such a rag tag of incompetence during the World Cup last year?

It also reinforced how stupid it was to deny a non-New Zealander the chance to coach the Kiwis for all those years. Coaching is an international business. Good teams appoint the best coaches regardless of where they come from.

Maguire has set some very high standards after Saturday night.

After watching him talk to those secondary school students in late September, I'm not surprised there's a completely different feel to the Kiwis team now.

And as far as we know, nobody was snorting cocaine after the match either.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12143129
He's got results to back his resume.

He's got a win over Australia after hus first up loss against altitude and England.

Now importantly he has a tour to grow the team and learn more about NZ's ways and how to get best out of the team.

No need for a sack Madge thread yet.

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Blair says coach Maguire a hit with Kiwis
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/22/new-zealand-forward-adam-blair-said-coach-michael-maguire-has-brought-a-winning-mindset-to-kiwis/

Author
Tanisha Stanton & Alicia Newton

Timestamp
Mon 22 Oct 2018, 03:25 PM

New Zealand forward Adam Blair said the professional culture new Kiwis coach Michael Maguire has instilled in the team was there for all to see during their recent 26-24 win over Australia.

The 45-Test veteran said that from day one Maguire introduced an attitude to training and playing that brought the best out of him and his Kiwis teammates.

Prior to conceding two tries in the final five minutes of the match against the Kangaroos on October 13, New Zealand managed the game brilliantly with Blair and fellow forwards, Jesse Bromwich, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Kevin Proctor getting the better of the Australian pack.

"He's instilled in us trying to get a winning culture - everything is about winning," Blair said.

"As a group, we were professional with our preparation leading into the game and it showed.

"We did all the little things right, as an individual and group, but we let ourselves down at the end."

Prior to their win in Auckland, New Zealand hadn't beaten Australia since scoring a 26-12 victory in the 2015 Anzac Test.

Blair said the sides most recent win over the Kangaroos has given them the world of confidence heading into three Test matches against England, starting this Saturday at Kingston Communications Stadium.

"After coming off a good solid win against the Aussies all the boys were high after that win," Blair said.

"It's always nice to beat a quality side and the number one team in the world.

"I felt like a kid again, there's not many times I've been out there and beaten Australia."

On their way over to England, the Kiwis stopped over in Dubai where they enjoyed riding camels in desert and some heated training sessions.

"A nice way to start off our three Test matches over here by stopping at Dubai and enjoying ourselves as a group," Blair said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/22/new-zealand-forward-adam-blair-said-coach-michael-maguire-has-brought-a-winning-mindset-to-kiwis/

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Quite honestly I think he can get a series win in England. He has coached there, he knows the conditions, he knows their game, it will add confidence to the Kiwi squad.

Reaction score
Citygirl

Citygirl

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
I heard a story on the radio and they referred to Blair as the kiwis captain, that's not right aye, unless I missed something. It was Radio NZ though...

Top Bottom