General Kiwi v Aussie warriors

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I see in the warriors 25 book they have named a team of our best Aussie warriors

McKinnon
Odenryn
Tate
Cleary
Carlaw
Maloney
Alexander
Price
Marsh
Lillyman
Luck
Hoffman
Campion

Death
Mears
Villasante
Mateo

Which got me thinking.... would they beat an all kiwi warrior team?
(Here’s one off the top of my head

Rts
Vatuvei
Bell
Toopi
Fusitua
Sj
Sj
Vagana
Luke
Rapira
Lauitiiti
Harris
mannering

Hohaia
Wiki
Matulino
Maumalo

Who u got and why?

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I see in the warriors 25 book they have named a team of our best Aussie warriors

McKinnon
Odenryn
Tate
Cleary
Carlaw
Maloney
Alexander
Price
Marsh
Lillyman
Luck
Hoffman
Campion

Death
Mears
Villasante
Mateo

Rts
Vatuvei
Bell
Toopi
Fusitua
Sj
Sj
Vagana
Luke
Rapira
Lauitiiti
Harris
mannering

Hohaia
Wiki
Matulino
Maumalo

Who u got and why?
ok I’ll play
McKinnon- controversial but he had more of an attacking impact rather than the metre making RTS is forced to do

Vatuvei- Odenryn has pace but that’s about it, Vatuvei had more impact and a lasting record.

Bell- Tate was shit here

Toopi- in his prime was amazing, Cleary was solid but boring

Fusitua- Carlaw was more a centre

Maloney - (I’m assuming this one is Johnson.

Jones- Alexander was on the fade, Jones carried us

Price- Tough choice

Marsh- More consistent than Luke shame he was cut short.

Rapira- Thought Lillyman was pretty average

Ali- Tough call again, it’s attack vs defence really Ali gets it through to his brilliance plus Luck was more of a Locke

Harris- Hoffman didn’t show much here

Draw- really can’t seperate these 2
If I had to pick a bench from both teams it’d be
Hohaia
Wiki
Villasanti
Mateo

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

McKinnon
Odenryn
Tate
Cleary
Carlaw
Maloney
Alexander
Price
Marsh
Lillyman
Luck
Hoffman
Campion

Death
Mears
Villasante
Mateo

Rts
Vatuvei
Bell
Toopi
Fusitua
Sj
Sj
Vagana
Luke
Rapira
Lauitiiti
Harris
mannering

Hohaia
Wiki
Matulino
Maumalo

Who u got and why?
If it was extended to include coaches, I’d go the Aussies because the teams would have to be coached by our most successful coaches. Unless Cleary was a player/coach, the only other Aussie coach worth considering would be Anderson. Unfortunately, our most successful coach from NZ, given he’s the only one to take us to the finals, is SK.

Anderson would get the most out off the “cattle” in his team while SK would try and turn a team stacked full of ball runners and talented players into Storm Mark III.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

McKinnon
Odenryn
Tate
Cleary
Carlaw
Maloney
Alexander
Price
Marsh
Lillyman
Luck
Hoffman
Campion

Death
Mears
Villasante
Mateo

Rts
Vatuvei
Bell
Toopi
Fusitua
Sj
Sj
Vagana
Luke
Rapira
Lauitiiti
Harris
mannering

Hohaia
Wiki
Matulino
Maumalo

Who u got and why?
How did Blake not make that Ausy list? he carried the Warriors in those early years. Might as well put Blake in the halves if Cleary is in the centres

..and how did Alexander make the list, he was a shit sandwich at the Warriors. John Simon was better.
Hoffman made the team.. that says something about Warriors recruitment, 25 years and they pick Hoffman who was rubbish here?

In a way that is the perfect representation of the Warriors though, 3 hookers, a fullback played out of position, and players who didn't perform

Bell wouldnt be in my NZ team, overrated at the Warriors, Tea or Jerome Ropati would be better or Nigel Vagana though we missed his best years. Meli ahead of Fusitua as he was unstoppable, Seuseu was better than Vagana, Koopu instead of Maumalo as Koopu was great in multiple positions. Id probably take Guttenbeil ahead of Mannering too as I think he had a better all round game

RTS
Vatuvei
Jerome Ropati
Toopi
Meli
Jones
Johnson
Seuseu
Luke
Rapira
Lauitiiti
Harris
Guttenbeil

Hohaia
Wiki
Matulino
Koopu

Looking at this squad, the Warriors have had some great NZ players

Last edited:

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
1-RTS
2-Vatuvei
3-J Ropati
4-Toopi
5-Hoppe
6-S Johnson
7-S Jones
8-Seuseu
9-Luke
10-Rapira
11-Lauitiiti
12-Guttenbiel
13-Harris

14-Hohaia
15-Paleasina
16-Matulino
17-Koopu

18-Mannering

Had to pick J Ropati to partner Toopi.
When not injured,JRo was a class act.
Ask Israel Folau.

Went for the old gun Hoppe on the wing.
Had a high workrate,power game and a knack to spot an intercept.
Top finisher.

The Lauitiiti/Guttenbiel back row combo is one of the greats.
Cant break that up.
Power,skill,flair,toughness,tenacity,workrate etc is a small example of this combination.

Feka makes my bench.
After Jerry scares and beats everyone up.
Nothing better than throwing on a wrecking ball to break opposition spirits.
And with Rapira's speed and tight impact style of carrying creating the fast play the ball.
Just scary.

Koopu gets my nod ahead of Mannering just because his ball carrying was way more dominant.
Workrate wasn't to far behind
Had sting on D like Juju,and could play multiple positions as well.

I know Sonny Fai would of been in all of our teams.

This was fun.

Thanks Defence.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Shocked at people leaving mannering out- he’s the greatest ever warrior imho.
Sure he was a bit one dimensional at the end there but let’s not forget he scored 63 tries- only manu and Stacey scored more.
#300gamer.
#5xplayeroftheyear.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
If it was extended to include coaches, I’d go the Aussies because the teams would have to be coached by our most successful coaches. Unless Cleary was a player/coach, the only other Aussie coach worth considering would be Anderson. Unfortunately, our most successful coach from NZ, given he’s the only one to take us to the finals, is SK.

Anderson would get the most out off the “cattle” in his team while SK would try and turn a team stacked full of ball runners and talented players into Storm Mark III.
It’s a fair point.
Looking at the teams I was imagining the kiwi line up playing with a lot of flair while the aussies tried to grind their way to a win.
With Kearney at the helm tho we would probably try to beat them at their own game and we’d never know who won because we’d all fall to sleep by half time.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Witts a bit hard done by getting lumped in with that lot- he went alright I reckon.
Rovelli played more games, Moon was primarily a centre and scored 4 tries once, Chad had great hair.

I considered putting Robson into the starting side but then I would have had to find someone to fill the last bench spot and was too lazy to do that.

Hence, Witt gets the short straw for holding the ball in the air against Melbourne in '08.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Shocked at people leaving mannering out- he’s the greatest ever warrior imho.
Sure he was a bit one dimensional at the end there but let’s not forget he scored 63 tries- only manu and Stacey scored more.
#300gamer.
#5xplayeroftheyear.
Its a tough call but I think a team of the best of the best looks better with other great players. I have no argument with having Mannering in though.

Last edited:

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Genuine question here because I was only young, but where does Gene Ngamu rank? Remember him being my favourite player as a kid but that’s because he scored most of the points in my first game :D
It was tough for gene because he came through with so much hype which he never really lived up to.
Had his moments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Upcoming Match

Canberra Raiders GIO Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

20 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.4 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 7 ratings