Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Stone

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I grew up in Otahuhu & when I look back on it I was really quite lucky to have been able to rub shoulders with some genuine legends of the game when I was a kid & while they were still in their prime as players

Owen Wright lived on the street I grew up on & cos of that I got to meet & have a pretty long chat with some of my childhood heroes once, Mark Graham, Hugh McGahan, Clayton Friend & Graham Lowe while I was still a young kid of about 8-10yo which was pretty awesome at the time

Also through playing for the Mighty Oats Leopards (so sad to hear about the club struggling now) during the time that I did I quite often got to rub shoulders with the likes of Ruben Wiki, Richie Barnett, Tawera Nikau & Ritchie Blackmore

One memory in particular that I'll never forget is from just after the now famous Kiwi vs Roos 1991 Test Match at Olympic Park in Melbourne

The Kiwis had been well & truly written off by all & sundry before the 1st test at Olympic Park, but as history shows it ended becoming one of the Kiwis finest victories when they absolutely took it to the highly vaunted Roos & ended up spanking them 24-8

Unfortunately, in response to their huge upset victory the Kiwis ended up facing a very fired up Roos team for the next two tests & they absolutely smashed the Kiwis in the last two games of that test series

An awesome thing from an Oats perspective though is that our club had two current Kiwis, Tawera Nikau & Ritchie Blackmore, who played in that series (back when you could still actually make the Kiwis from a local club side) who virtually became legends overnight after that 1st test in Melbourne

Anyway, a little while after that first test my own team was wrapping up training over at a practice field over by De La Salle were our prems also trained, so we're wrapping up our training session just as the prems are arriving & starting their warm ups, then a few of us get pretty excited when we spot newly capped Kiwi Ritchie Blackmore doing a few stretches & jogging around the pitch

So we're getting ready to leave & I zap into the sheds to take a quick slash before I jet, I'm standing at the urinal doing my business when this huge figure rocks up beside me to also use the urinal, I look up to see who it is & to my shock & surprise it's none other than 1st test Kiwi hero Tawera Nikau

I'm about 14 or 15 years old at this time & utterly obsessed with rugby league, so I just ended up standing at the urinal literally holding my dick in my hand just staring in total awestruck disbelief at this Kiwi legend I had just seen on TV days before

Nikau finishes his business, looks down at me & says "you ok young fullah ????"

I stand there for a moment & the only thing I can think to say is ... "you're Tawera Nikau"

Nikau chuckles & says ... "yeah I know"

I gather myself a little bit & say "wow ... you're awesome man ... can I shake your hand ???"

Nikau then looks at me with that now famous crazy eyed pukana stare of his & says ... "sure kid ... but can you put away your ure first ???

That's when I snap out of my haze & realise to my absolute shame that I've literally been standing there this whole time talking to a Kiwi legend with my dick in my hand ... once I realised this I literally shrieked like a wee girl, quickly put away the offending member & ran the outta there as fast as I could

Suffice to say, I never did get that hand shake cos anytime I saw Nikau down at the club or at our training ground after that I avoided him like the plague

I was actually mortified about that for years afterwards, but when I look back at it now & it always makes me just shake my head & laugh to myself

Last edited:
Reaction score
Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I grew up in Otahuhu & when I look back on it I was really quite lucky to have been able to rub shoulders with some genuine legends of the game when I was a kid & while they were still in their prime as players

Owen Wright lived on the street I grew up on & cos of that I got to meet & have a pretty long chat with some of my childhood heroes once, Mark Graham, Hugh McGahan, Clayton Friend & Graham Lowe while I was still a young kid of about 8-10yo which was pretty awesome at the time

Also through playing for the Mighty Oats Leopards (so sad to hear about the club struggling now) during the time that I did I quite often got to rub shoulders with the likes of Ruben Wiki, Richie Barnett, Tawera Nikau & Ritchie Blackmore

One memory in particular that I'll never forget is from just after the now famous Kiwi vs Roos 1991 Test Match at Olympic Park in Melbourne

The Kiwis had been well & truly written off by all & sundry before the 1st test at Olympic Park, but as history shows it ended becoming one of the Kiwis finest victories when they absolutely took it to the highly vaunted Roos & ended up spanking them 24-8

Unfortunately, in response to their huge upset victory the Kiwis ended up facing a very fired up Roos team for the next two tests & they absolutely smashed the Kiwis in the last two games of that test series

An awesome thing from an Oats perspective though is that our club had two current Kiwis, Tawera Nikau & Ritchie Blackmore, who played in that series (back when you could still actually make the Kiwis from a local club side) who virtually became legends overnight after that 1st test in Melbourne

Anyway, a little while after that first test my own team were wrapping up training over at a practice field over by De La Salle were our prems also trained, so we're wrapping up our training session just as the prems are arriving & starting their warm ups, then a few of us get pretty excited when we spot newly capped Kiwi Ritchie Blackmore doing a few stretches & jogging around the pitch

So we're getting ready to leave & I zap into the sheds to take a quick slash before I jet, I'm standing at the urinal doing my business when this huge figure rocks up beside me to also use the urinal, I look up to see who it is & to my shock & surprise it's none other than 1st test Kiwi hero Tawera Nikau

I'm about 14 or 15 years old at this time & utterly obsessed with rugby league, so I just ended up standing at the urinal literally holding my dick in my hand just staring in total awestruck disbelief at this Kiwi legend I had just seen on TV days before

Nikau finishes his business, looks down at me & says "you ok young fullah ????"

I stand there for a moment & the only thing I can think to say is ... "you're Tawera Nikau"

Nikau chuckles & says ... "yeah I know"

I gather myself a little bit & say "wow ... you're awesome man ... can I shake your hand ???"

Nikau then looks at me with that now famous crazy eyed pukana stare of his & says ... "sure kid ... but can you put away your ure first ???

That's when I snap out of my haze & realise to my absolute shame that I've literally been standing there this whole time talking to a Kiwi legend with my dick in my hand ... once I realised this I literally shrieked like a wee girl, quickly put away the offending member & ran the outta there as fast as I could

Suffice to say, I never did get that hand shake cos anytime I saw Nikau down at the club or at our training ground after that I avoided him like the plague

I was actually mortified about that for years afterwards, but when I look back at it now & it always makes me just shake my head & laugh to myself
Crackup story man. One of the funniest league stories ive read.

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Love a bit of nostalgia. I was lucky enough to play their, back in the days when the ordinary senior players had the opportunity to compete against the top players in the country. 25 plus kiwis including Christian Bailey brothers, Elwood ,Tatana, Sinel Wiggs,Woolsey Castles,Tait,Morgan Simon and Victor Yates. Brian Lee orchard Great thrill for a young guy. Ilook at the young guys these days and think it must be disappointing not to be playing against the real stars.
I was brought up on all those names as a young fella, my late Dad was President of the Mangere East Hawks from 1963-1978.
Ernie Wiggs came out of retirement to Capt/coach the Hawks and even at that age he still had it. Was lucky enough to see the Kiwis beat the
Aussies in 69 & 71 At Carlaw Park with my Dad.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I was brought up on all those names as a young fella, my late Dad was President of the Mangere East Hawks from 1963-1978.
Ernie Wiggs came out of retirement to Capt/coach the Hawks and even at that age he still had it. Was lucky enough to see the Kiwis beat the
That was an amazing victory in 1971. As usual we did them up front. There was a pic in the papers later of Bobby Fulton sitting in front of unopened booze looking totally shattered. They had nothing left in them and we're still blown off the park.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Pozza. Ernie Wiggs is Jared McCracken's uncle isn't he?

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hey Pozza. Ernie Wiggs is Jared McCracken's uncle isn't he?
Hi Bruce not sure about that one but I remember Dad telling me that Jared's father Ken was a good exponent of the coat hanger

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Bruce not sure about that one but I remember Dad telling me that Jared's father Ken was a good exponent of the coat hanger
The Carlaw clothesline:D...thought nothing of it in those days.

Reaction score

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That's why we called him headhunter McCracken

Reaction score

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Anyone remember the boxing at Carlaw Park.,In the ring. Boxing went back some years,at Carlaw. I remember seeing a couple of fights their in the 60s. George Mahoni v Eddie Cotton, and, Tuna Scanlan v some guy Brennan. Boxing was Quite big in those days. Haven't been to a fight since.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone remember the boxing at Carlaw Park.,In the ring. Boxing went back some years,at Carlaw. I remember seeing a couple of fights their in the 60s. George Mahoni v Eddie Cotton, and, Tuna Scanlan v some guy Brennan. Boxing was Quite big in those days. Haven't been to a fight since.
They had Eagles concerts at Carlaw too. Oh what could have been.

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Tell you what I do remember is the Auckland team that beat the Poms, Aussies, and Frogs in 10 days.
Quite an achievement considering they were all amateurs, it's a pity our current team of professionals
don't show the same commitment and pride in there jersey

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I looked after an ex boxer with dementia that starred at Carlaw.

This chap who will remain nameless for the sake of his family, was a heavy weight with a chin of granite.

He was so hard to knock out that an American fighter of repute came out here in the 60's to face him as a journeymen prep for a world title fight.

This Pacific Island man took a beating from hell (which is what I had to deal with in his sixties, the brain damage, if you walked into his room the wrong way...he would stand up and "answer the bell"

The Carlaw park crowd went home happy that their man had not been dropped.

I used to listen to stories told by an old time screw....a Welshman who had been an instructor at Hereford (an absolute elite Military short arse we called him Balls....coz he had some) about how this old timer was a boxer that no man on the planet could drop.

What a Colosseum Carlaw was.

I am leaving instruction in my will that any billionaire descendant that wants to claim my Warrior genetic can only do so by buying back that sacred land and remaking it the amphitheater is was.

That is the dirt where tough white men and Polynesia beat their chest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
My dad said once when playing on No2 at Carlaw, he hit someone late/high in a reserves match and the blokes mum came on and starting hitting him with her umbrella!

Would never happen at Mt Smart!

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
My dad said once when playing on No2 at Carlaw, he hit someone late/high in a reserves match and the blokes mum came on and starting hitting him with her umbrella!

Would never happen at Mt Smart!
Carlaw number two was surrounded by a picket fence. She must have been a high jumper:p...sad story about the Number two ground. One winter when it was really puggy a player got gang tackled and fell back injuring his leg so badly it had to be amputated. The guy ended up playing for the Herbs, Dilworth Karaka. He is still playing in the Herbs, the only founding member still there.

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Carlaw number two was surrounded by a picket fence. She must have been a high jumper:p...sad story about the Number two ground. One winter when it was really puggy a player got gang tackled and fell back injuring his leg so badly it had to be amputated. The guy ended up playing for the Herbs, Dilworth Karaka. He is still playing in the Herbs, the only founding member still there.
My dad played in that game and told him to get up, there's nothing wrong with you!
I guess they were playing for Ponsonby, Maritime or Richmond. I went to school with his kids.

Last edited:
Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
My dad played in that game and told him to get up, there's nothing wrong with you!
I guess they were playing for Ponsonby, Maritime or Richmond. I went to school with his kids.
From memory it was Maritime.

Top Bottom