Internationals Kiwi Hardman team.

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
I can vouch that Brendans mates from the Chathams are hard buggers. I met a couple of them at the urinal during Brendans fight for live bout, I remember very little after that for the next 24 hours due to their hospitality.

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
May 18, 2012
Churchur
I used to ball boy at the addington Showgrounds and the memories I have from the late eighties to mid nighties are priceless. Some hard buggers I remember were Brent Stuart , Logan Edwards , Pongia , Esene Faimalo was a beast. Lance Setu , Wayne Wallace , Barry Edkins , Tai Arona. And many more I’ve forgotten. I did the Canterbury Auckland final in 1993. One of the greatest games I’ve ever been too. Lucky enough to do 4 test matches as well. Great childhood.

As Canterbury hardman go Moko Rangiaho(RIP) is right up there, The CRFL celebrated his 10th season with an invitational game( I think that was 97) he played for NZ Residents a few times, hard to find info on Moko, 1 thing i did find he did win Canterbury Rugby League Sportsman of the year 1989.

A couple of notable others I can think of not mentioned, Adrian Shelford RIP, Russell Tuuta, John Green, Ron Simanu, Lou Hudson, Ross Taylor

Reactions: Defence

Poihakena

As Canterbury hardman go Moko Rangiaho(RIP) is right up there, The CRFL celebrated his 10th season with an invitational game( I think that was 97) he played for NZ Residents a few times, hard to find info on Moko, 1 thing i did find he did win Canterbury Rugby League Sportsman of the year 1989.

A couple of notable others I can think of not mentioned, Adrian Shelford RIP, Russell Tuuta, John Green, Ron Simanu, Lou Hudson, Ross Taylor
Haha just seen this thread. I know Ron really well.

Never saw him play as I was too young (maybe on TV during Lion Red Cup days) but I wouldn't mess with him now let alone in his prime :)

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Verne Wilson was a legendary hard nut on the Auckland scene...would've went all the way if not for the tragic accident that saw his life cut short.
Met him at Middlemore hand clinic (physio) In the eighties. I
was a teenager, got talking about League, ended up looking up to the guy when he said his footy was going places.
Learned not long after he died on his bike.

Few tough guys from Otara have dropped his name over the years as a kingpin in their hood.

Cheers bro hadn't heard the name for a long time, had a way about him that fullah.

Murraytd

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 5, 2014
Brisbane
Good thread, lovely to re-remember some of the great names in NZ sport. I live away from NZ now, I hope young kiwis can grow up watching their province compete in a national tournament? Lion Red cup was grouse, proud one eyed cantabrian here, watching from the stands at the show grounds. Not staunch enough to mix it with the gangs on the grass under the scoreboard. Very Good hot dog and pottle of hot chips (Battered sav, for non kiwis) at the grounds as well, worth a mention. seemed to have the full spectrum of society represented. A true red and black parochial fortress! I can't imagine the visitors besser block shed being to hospitable!! I hope not anyway.

Grew up in a proud era for Canterbury league, Frank Endacott was a very, very good coach. We beat Auckland to be the best in 1990, against what was was a stacked Auckland side. Big crowds, strong following, always Sunday afternoon, miss that time slot!

And we had a national club premiership, this also had a big following!Who knew Wainuiomata (club Premiership often) were so good? Kenny Laban did!!! That was a lethal side in the late 80's, early nineties.. Seem to put Wainuiomata on the public radar, and would have brought un-measuable pride to the community!..... How do we end up here, aligning ourselves to mediocrity and isolated really to the 1 club (shout out to all other kiwis still supporting Manly and Canberra). Can we pull out of the NRL, and pour all resources into a proud national competition? or do we effectively owe our soul to the company store???

All the hard men have been named. maybe Mocky brereton deserves a mention. Felt proud reading names really, The toughest set of hombres for me was the 83 kiwi side, tough and talented.

Last edited:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
That's terrible news Bruce, I had no idea. How good was that 71 touring team to Gt Britain and France?
I agree, very sad. People do get old though, not just me. That 71 side was one of the greats. They beat the Kangaroos 24 - 3 at Carlaw before the tour.

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
I agree, very sad. People do get old though, not just me. That 71 side was one of the greats. They beat the Kangaroos 24 - 3 at Carlaw before the tour.
remember getting up early in the morning with my Dad to listen to the Tests from the UK. Dennis Williams try the first time he touched the ball a real standout 👏👏

Reactions: bruce and Murraytd

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Frances Leota was a hard uncompromising man on the field.
Tony Tuimavave never took a backward step for a smaller forward.

95 'til infinity

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 29, 2013
Brisbane,Aust.
Altho not household names. I always looked upto Neville Ramsay. & Tukere Barlow. Thought both were tough as nails.
Neville use to pick up our skip at work a few years ago. And he was still playing league! The old fulla can't stop lol
Tuks had some real skill about him too always thought he could've pushed on and made first grade

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings