Player Kevin Locke

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Sounds like a lot of young players who get a big head and think they are untouchable.

I once heard a story of an All Black (don't know if he was an All Black at the time or if it was earlier in his career) trying to start a fight with someone in a bar and the guy he was trying to fight was a NZ kickboxing champion 😆
That was Norm Hewitt wasnt it?

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
I thought Knobby and Benry played some games for Mt Roskill Bay Vikings last year? Or was it just Benry (and that sounded very part-time, ie alternate games or something along those lines)?
JRO and Benry. Knobby was playing for the Pirates prems I think.

Reactions: mrblonde

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Locke had done nothing wrong at that point in his career.
Nothing that the club hadnt managed to keep quiet up until then to keep him happy and on the books. But as soon as they wanted out they put it out there that he wasnt a good character.

Truth is it wasnt just the Tomkins signing, although that was the final nail. It was Cleary leaving that saw him use that lack of accountability as an excuse to play up. Cleary knew how to handle those boys and keep them in check. Dont think Bluey or even Elliott knew what they were getting themselves into. They dont just need a coach. They need a overseer and father figure. Something the likes of Locke and Rusty never really had. The best coaches know and employ this...

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Nothing that the club hadnt managed to keep quiet up until then to keep him happy and on the books. But as soon as they wanted out they put it out there that he wasnt a good character.

Truth is it wasnt just the Tomkins signing, although that was the final nail. It was Cleary leaving that saw him use that lack of accountability as an excuse to play up. Cleary knew how to handle those boys and keep them in check. Dont think Bluey or even Elliott knew what they were getting themselves into. They dont just need a coach. They need a overseer and father figure. Something the likes of Locke and Rusty never really had. The best coaches know and employ this...
Unfortunately players throwing away their careers will continue. Some just wont listen and learn. Its a shame but its life.

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012

Would have been interesting to see how far Kevin would have gone if he had been brought up in the Aussie system, mind you that could apply to a lot of our boys who have gone off the rails

Reactions: Worried2Death

davewjnz

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 10, 2013
Auckland
Well the comment that was quoted was referring to his footy form at the time, not many fans even knew of his bad character till after the Tomkins signing.
Locke was one of the inform NRL fullbacks then so the signing of Tomkins confused alot of fans.
I rubbed my hands of the dude after all the bad press come out, in fact when I saw this thread reactivated after so long sitting idle my first thoughts were ffs let the thread just die.