Player Ken Maumalo

Blain

Blain

I think Feki was up against Konnie in getting a shot at first grade. He was a centre while at the club, then you also had Omar Slymankel coming through etc.. We were pretty stacked at the time for talent. Probably had Billy Tupou around also. Not sure what he ever did to the coaching staff to get the game time he got..

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
I think Feki was up against Konnie in getting a shot at first grade. He was a centre while at the club, then you also had Omar Slymankel coming through etc.. We were pretty stacked at the time for talent. Probably had Billy Tupou around also. Not sure what he ever did to the coaching staff to get the game time he got..
Not to mention Laurie Daly, Kevin Locke, Dylan Collier, Glen Fisiiahi and Adam Henry who were all around the same age and ranked higher than Feki. Makes you wonder what some of those players would have become if they were developed properly seeing Feki play so consistently...

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Not to mention Laurie Daly, Kevin Locke, Dylan Collier, Glen Fisiiahi and Adam Henry who were all around the same age and ranked higher than Feki. Makes you wonder what some of those players would have become if they were developed properly seeing Feki play so consistently...
Thankfully you can guarantee JD has been working overtime on that since he arrived.

fizurg

fizurg

Two things stand out to me with Maumolo.
He's actaully a lot better under the high ball than he gets credit for.
He's almost completely lacking in that bizarre ability to find the line that great wingers seem to possess.

Jordan G

6'3 & 105kg Ken vs. 5'9 & 88kg Roberts... yeah makes sense

Short memory?

Garteh Widdop isn't much bigger than Roberts and that didn't stop him bundling Maumalo into touch last year under similar circumstances.

But yeah, a measuring tape and scale will decide the outcome of everything. That's why Tony Williams was such a devastating force that no club could contain.

No point having dimensions if you don't know how to use them or don't have the confidence to use them.

Five&Last

Five&Last

Short memory?

Garteh Widdop isn't much bigger than Roberts and that didn't stop him bundling Maumalo into touch last year under similar circumstances.

But yeah, a measuring tape and scale will decide the outcome of everything. That's why Tony Williams was such a devastating force that no club could contain.

No point having dimensions if you don't know how to use them or don't have the confidence to use them
Hahaha sorry no. Its not that I think you're underrating Ken but more that you're overrating Roberts as a defender. You must have poor memory of Newcastle Tyrone Roberts who was turnstile at best on D.
And I do remember that play, it was almost 2 years ago when Ken was a rookie and in his first year playing on the wing, he had basically no room to work with and was more or less pushed into touch then Cappy ripped into him about it in a post game interview which made it become a big deal at the time. If Ken had got that ball on the weekend when he should've from Kata, it would've been no contest regardless of whether Roberts got across.

He's averaging 145 running metres a game this season and he's doing most of that on hit ups against blokes far bigger than Roberts. Im not the biggest fan of Ken but your reasoning is bullshit.

Jordan G

Hahaha sorry no. Its not that I think you're underrating Ken but more that you're overrating Roberts as a defender. You must have poor memory of Newcastle Tyrone Roberts who was turnstile at best on D.
And I do remember that play, it was almost 2 years ago when Ken was a rookie and in his first year playing on the wing, he had basically no room to work with and was more or less pushed into touch then Cappy ripped into him about it in a post game interview which made it become a big deal at the time. If Ken had got that ball on the weekend when he should've from Kata, it would've been no contest regardless of whether Roberts got across.

He's averaging 145 running metres a game this season and he's doing most of that on hit ups against blokes far bigger than Roberts. Im not the biggest fan of Ken but your reasoning is bullshit.

You're getting awfully huffy over an off hand throwaway comment.

Why are we comparing Roberts when he was at Newcastle with Ken now when Ken gets to be excused for an error when he was a rookie roughly the same amount of time ago? Seems weird.

Running metres really have nothing to do with it. Unless as Roberts comes across Maumalo is going to show him a stat sheet giving Roberts the opportunity to say 'fair enough, in you go son, you've earned it"

Maumalo isn't a natural winger, therefore he's not going to step on the inside. How do you know Roberts won't do just enough to sneak a foot into touch? How do you know that in the act of trying to score the ball doesn't get dislodged seeing as Ken, much like Kata, is prone to going for the quickest route rather than the safest and would in most likelihood extend his arm to ground the ball?

I said I was backing Roberts, I never said he would win through brute strength. You're the one who threw dimensions in there as the be all to end all.

Both Geoff Toovey and I see your dimensions and say - meh.

• Haha
Reactions: Inruin

Jordan G

Maumalo has had some strong games this year, but his strengths have very little to do with wing play. That's the issue.

It's not that he can't be or isn't an asset in some areas of the game, it's that we're sacrificing other things to wedge him in there.

rugged

rugged

How was his put down when he scored though...so sloppy. He also did some weird side step to nobody as he was crossing the line.

He's trying hard though and isn't doing much wrong.
He got up with an embarrassed look on his face and I thought he must have bobbled it. As others have said he is doing an ok job, but just doesn't have try-scoring instincts

Reactions: Defence and eric
Miket12

Miket12

He held his shape following Foran perfectly in that play. Made the pass real easy.
What I also liked was what Kata did off the ball to help create the space by cutting inside of KF putting a moments doubt in the minds of the defenders.

Also, very good vision from KF seeing a tiring second rower in front of him instead of the centre.

A very well worked try with KF's footballing brain combining with some long overdue support play.

A lot to like!!!

jonno

jonno

What I also liked was what Kata did off the ball to help create the space by cutting inside of KF putting a moments doubt in the minds of the defenders.

Also, very good vision from KF seeing a tiring second rower in front of him instead of the centre.

A very well worked try with KF's footballing brain combining with some long overdue support play.

A lot to like!!!
And I especially liked it how Foz didn't try to step the defender and go in for the try himself. He just dummies right, then passed left giving the easy crowd satisfaction moment to Ken.