General Kemp has a whinge about SOO Kiwi poaching

Reaction score
MarkW

MarkW

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Kemp sounds like he's a little miffed.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7122502/Anger-as-another-Kiwi-is-lured-to-Origin

As much as it sucks that the likes of Tamou and probably Kasiano choose an Aussie state over their country, I have to admit $50k for an Origin series must be pretty enticing for these Kiwi kids coming through the ranks.

I guess we just have to lump it considering how many Aussie born players there are in the Kiwi squad.

The time is right for a Kiwi style 'origin' if it helps retain some of the local born talent. Plus it would be awesome.

Reaction score
KingBubz

KingBubz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Only thing with Kiwi 'Origin' is that the match payments would be no where near what Aussie 'Origin' players get... Id be suprised if the NZ 'Origin' players manage to get anywhere near the $7k payment the Kiwis get per international game, the NZRL has already stated they dont have the sort of cash to match what the Aussies are doing... So for those guys which are just going after the $$$ then NZ 'Origin' would be a waste of time, but for those who are loyal to the black jersey and would give blood for our country then NZ 'Origin' would be perfect and would stick it right to those greedy bloody aussies

Reaction score
ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It is a shame but they can’t just keep crying about it and saying that the NSW and QLD leagues are being mean and not playing nicely. If I was Mal Meninga I’d ring Kemp up and tell him to go get stuffed and to stop acting like a wuss and calling him out in the media. So James Tamou has Maori tats – so does Steve Price. Tamou played for the JKs, Benji played for the Junior Kangaroos. The NZRL is always quick to cry foul but they are a spineless amateur body who need to start acting like professionals. Blokes like Kemp are only interested in getting their trips around the world each year and their big salaries while the players pretty much play for love.

Reaction score

slaughterhouse.sa

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It is a shame but they can’t just keep crying about it and saying that the NSW and QLD leagues are being mean and not playing nicely. If I was Mal Meninga I’d ring Kemp up and tell him to go get stuffed and to stop acting like a wuss and calling him out in the media. So James Tamou has Maori tats – so does Steve Price. Tamou played for the JKs, Benji played for the Junior Kangaroos. The NZRL is always quick to cry foul but they are a spineless amateur body who need to start acting like professionals. Blokes like Kemp are only interested in getting their trips around the world each year and their big salaries while the players pretty much play for love.
Mate ...im glad your not involved with League
Kemp has to be loud, proud ...the last thing we want is a Yes Man, we need somebody who aint afraid to calll bs when he sees it.

If you dont think it is bullish ...your kidding yourself
Considering there are blokes like Josh Mguire & Jacob Lilyman ready to go...QLD will go with Kasiano who lived in QLD for one year lol

Reactions: Jah
Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
May as well just not bother putting a Kiwis team together at all if the young fellas not living in NZ are going to be targeted by Mal or Ricky to play Origin... even if they have signed a letter of intent to play fo NZ. Either that.. or they let Kiwi's play origin and then rep NZ which ain't gonna happen!!

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
It seems somewhat hypocritical to be crying foul only weeks after announcing that Konrad Hurrel has signed a letter of intent to play for the Kiwis. He hasn't even met the residency requirements yet, and they have signed him up. Although I don't like it, I guess it is open slather and first in first served in International league.

Kemp - Grow up or harden up. You need to find a way of offering these guys something they can't get from Origin. Play mind games with Kiwi pride.

Reaction score
Sebastian

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Then it gets really ugly at the end of the year, when they all don the green and gold. That's the sickening part, what a joke, somebody has got to stop it. But they won't because the corrupt run things. And literally want things to continue down this path. And league has the hide to criticise other sports, it may be a better game, but it's just as corrupt as any other administration.

Reactions: Jah
Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Then it gets really ugly at the end of the year, when they all don the green and gold. That's the sickening part, what a joke, somebody has got to stop it. But they won't because the corrupt run things. And literally want things to continue down this path. And league has the hide to criticise other sports, it may be a better game, but it's just as corrupt as any other administration.
The only way we can stop it is to sacrifice our questionable players and take the high road for a few years. then we may have an argument worth listening to.

Reaction score
Sebastian

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The only way we can stop it is to sacrifice our questionable players and take the high road for a few years. then we may have an argument worth listening to.
I'd say that would be a great deal, in theory. Unforutanly i doubt that'll ever occur.

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
It seems somewhat hypocritical to be crying foul only weeks after announcing that Konrad Hurrel has signed a letter of intent to play for the Kiwis. He hasn't even met the residency requirements yet, and they have signed him up. Although I don't like it, I guess it is open slather and first in first served in International league.

Kemp - Grow up or harden up. You need to find a way of offering these guys something they can't get from Origin. Play mind games with Kiwi pride.
I don't like poaching from either side, but I think Mal and Kemp are on different levels. As seen with Vidot, Taumalolo, etc., Mal seems to stoop to much lower levels in hounding young players than Kemp does. The poaching NZ has done, Fien, Webb, Hunt, what have you, are all players than have chosen to represent New Zealand/Australia of their own accord (whatever their reasonings may be) and I can accept that. However, practically offering Vidot an Origin jersey if he turns down Samoa when he was actually (from his selections this year) a fair way down the pecking order, is a much lower act than offering Hurrell a jersey and Hurrell accepting (assuming that is how the conversation went, and I have no reason to believe it didn't).

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The ever changing landscape we have here. I recall some years back Mal saying that Kiwis should be included in SoO and that rules should be relaxed for this, that hasnt happened. Now here we are and the dudes gonna take up Kiwis if they qualify for Queensland. Kiwi pride in the jumper is all we have. Sucks when a player turns their back on the Kiwi jumper.

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Kemp sounds like he's a little miffed.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7122502/Anger-as-another-Kiwi-is-lured-to-Origin

As much as it sucks that the likes of Tamou and probably Kasiano choose an Aussie state over their country, I have to admit $50k for an Origin series must be pretty enticing for these Kiwi kids coming through the ranks.

I guess we just have to lump it considering how many Aussie born players there are in the Kiwi squad.

The time is right for a Kiwi style 'origin' if it helps retain some of the local born talent. Plus it would be awesome.
i think its 20,000 for game of origin at the moment they are pushing for 75k in the next two years after the tv deal goes through.big money who wd turn that down.born nz or not..

Reaction score
ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
slaughterhouse.sa....there is no way i am a yes man.....
Kemp should be working to get dual opportunities for Kiwis to play origin and still be eligible for NZ. Why would any player turn down the chance to take 50k for one game over possibly playing for the Kiwis? And the fact is that the good players aren't getting a look in with the Kiwis because they keep playing the "loyal" to the world cup team card.

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
All you can hope for when this happens is that Kasiano, Tamou etc stare down the haka with a feeling of immense guilt inside them.

Reaction score

Buck777

The thing is that it should be so attractive to pull on a Kiwi jersey that it becomes a mute point. When we had won the WC and the four nations and seemed until untouchable we had even Aussies wanting to play for us. Lately with Kearney maybe a few if the young guys aren't so sure.
To me it's all about the $$. You def get more exposure being a SOO player as it's one of the highest ranking sports games in oz. So play well and watch the offers roll in. I don't agree with what Tamou did, but you have to admit it hasn't done his league career any harm.

Reaction score
Magic Stick

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Kearney and co have there self to blame...Kasiano was a form prop and they went with Sam McKendry the invisible prop

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Kearney and co have there self to blame...Kasiano was a form prop and they went with Sam McKendry the invisible prop
Taumalolo would have made it ahead of Kasiano.

Besides, no International coach should feel pressure to pick a 20 year old just in case he chooses another country, that undermines the jersey IMO.

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The thing is that it should be so attractive to pull on a Kiwi jersey that it becomes a mute point. When we had won the WC and the four nations and seemed until untouchable we had even Aussies wanting to play for us. Lately with Kearney maybe a few if the young guys aren't so sure.
To me it's all about the $$. You def get more exposure being a SOO player as it's one of the highest ranking sports games in oz. So play well and watch the offers roll in. I don't agree with what Tamou did, but you have to admit it hasn't done his league career any harm.
guy on the radio saying he is related to kasiano and he has heard kasiano would rather play for aus because they have done more for his rugby league career than nz has. so imo, if that is the case, its a pretty reasonable outlook. im surprised more players havent thought that way. especially people like hoffman, marshall and nightengale who could have been soo superstars.

Reaction score
Magic Stick

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Taumalolo would have made it ahead of Kasiano.

Besides, no International coach should feel pressure to pick a 20 year old just in case he chooses another country, that undermines the jersey IMO.
Taumalolo aint a prop...McKendry's form didnt warrant selection...Kasiano's form did

Undermine the jersey....Please loyalty and pride in a NSW,QLD,KIWI,AUSSIE jersey dont mean jack

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
For me the issue is more the fact that these young guys pick the Kiwis first, make that known but still have the aussies, both coaches and team mates get in their ear still trying to get them to switch. That to me is completely different to a guy going there at 16 and saying at 18 I want to be a aussie.

Top Bottom