Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
The reality is we have no idea what's going on with players. Last week none of us would have had an inclination State of Origin superstar Luke 'Cage' Capewell would ever entertain a move here. But guess what, when you start winning you look like an attractive club and your options increase.
I thought his nic name was glory hole?

Edit; ah that’s Kurt- u were talking about his brother luke…

Last edited:
Can anyone here come up with a serious name we got from a swap?

Anyone?

Almost three decades...am I missing the player we got off a swap that was like Otoikumalu?

Anyone?

Bueller?

One player?

Thirty years?

Crickets.....
Tbf when was the last time we had a bargaining chip like afb before?

Crickets?

In all likelihood we’re not gonna get anyone back but we’d be insane not to try don’t u think?

Yes, fans will speculate. That's hardly a shocker.

Also, in the last few years we've signed Reece Walsh and Addin Fonua Blake - 2 of the best players in their positions. Yes, it didn't end well and both had specific situations attached (RW getting butt hurt Broncos wouldn't play him and AFBs 'get outta Sydney ultimatum) but I think there's your answer....because we have had some success in the most recent years bringing top players in.

The reality is we have no idea what's going on with players. Last week none of us would have had an inclination State of Origin superstar Luke 'Cage' Capewell would ever entertain a move here. But guess what, when you start winning you look like an attractive club and your options increase.

Capewells been under cap pressure ever since Mann, Walsh, Staggs, Haas and co needed upgrades or new deals.

He was always leaving, just a matter to who. And he’s no spring chicken. Last year was his poorest, especially defensively.

I would have kept current tbh

Capewells been under cap pressure ever since Mann, Walsh, Staggs, Haas and co needed upgrades or new deals.

He was always leaving, just a matter to who. And he’s no spring chicken. Last year was his poorest, especially defensively.

I would have kept current tbh

Strange way to put it....there's no pressure on Capewell at all, he signed a deal with Broncos and if he wants he can stay there until that finishes. Even now a lot of their fans don't want him to leave as they have a loooooot of young guns at the moment.

I'd have preferred Curran too, but Capewell for 2024 could be the bit of experience that gets us that little bit closer to a premiership so I'm happy with that if it eventuates

Strange way to put it....there's no pressure on Capewell at all, he signed a deal with Broncos and if he wants he can stay there until that finishes. Even now a lot of their fans don't want him to leave as they have a loooooot of young guns at the moment.

I'd have preferred Curran too, but Capewell for 2024 could be the bit of experience that gets us that little bit closer to a premiership so I'm happy with that if it eventuates

Sure but it’s just one step forward nd 2 steps back if AFB leaves.

Idk, capewells ok but he was clearly told he has no place after 2024 at the broncos.

I agree with the office at Warriors HQ playing money ball....Cam can play Billy Bean and AFB can be Giambi the star player traded to the Yankees.

Skip forward to the meeting in the Oakland A's war room where the scouts try to replace like for like and the Scouts being very Warriors fan like...trying to replace Giambi when in reality the game is not that simple.

Sure AFB is a big chip for clubs, but with all due respect you overlooked my point about having to move to Penrose.

I am trying to remember the last Aus player that dreamed of coming to Penrose??? and that includes Kiwis in Aus that chose to go away from Auckland.

Crickets.

Your turn.

I get why fans dream.

Dream on.

It is a free world.

Yes they will try and should try.

Of course they will try.

But swaps are shit.

The way we get the AFBs here are not swaps.

Swaps carry a stigma desperation on the part of the Warriors Vs a desired target player being upset by being traded to another country.

This is not American sport, trades are not a norm, and trades to foreign countries are loaded with implications for family and lifestyle.
Well the penrose thing applies to EVERY player we try sign- not only potential trades. So what would u do? how would u get the AFBs here?

Well the penrose thing applies to EVERY player we try sign- not only potential trades. So what would u do? how would u get the AFBs here?

The difference I guess between an organized and very competitive approach to the AFBS of the world and a swap is....that a swap comes with the tension and shock of being dumped by where you are playing at the time and the shock of a move to another country.

Swaps are easy when a player does not have to sell their house and pull their kids from school at short notice...go three thousand Kms away from the whanau .

The thing about a non swap out of Auckland is that the money is the attraction, and the time to mull it over...with none of the forced pressure of a swap situation which is gonna be a shock.

Think of your own employment and consider how you would feel about a swap by the company to move three thousand miles to allow your company to bring in another worker in your position.

I don't know why you keep going on about swaps?

AFB has asked for a release, were going to want a replacement for him before releasing him.

A swap would be great but I think most people are aware that A. Were not going to get a like for like replacement for AFB and B. We will struggle because we're based on another country.

I really don't get what the big deal is, were allowed to have a bit of fun and talk about this, but I don't know why you keep going on about swaps. Who tf cares if it's a swap, a trade, a release, or if we fooking kidnap a player. You're getting bogged down in details when we're all just throwing up possible scenarios.

You seem to be quite pedantic about wording, ease up big fella

The difference I guess between an organized and very competitive approach to the AFBS of the world and a swap is....that a swap comes with the tension and shock of being dumped by where you are playing at the time and the shock of a move to another country.
Hows it any different to whats just happened to capewell? "we wont be extending u after next year but have heard this club is interested and theyd give u a pay rise too..."
Again- moving country applies whether its a trade or not- if u want to play for the warriors u have to move to nz- theres no way around that.

Swaps are easy when a player does not have to sell their house and pull their kids from school at short notice...go three thousand Kms away from the whanau .
Hows it short notice- theyve got a whole year to sort all that and again thats no different to anyone we sign- swap or not.

Think of your own employment and consider how you would feel about a swap by the company to move three thousand miles to allow your company to bring in another worker in your position.
I love these ones where people compare the average job to that of a professional sportsman but ill humor u.
If my company said we're not gonna extend your contract next year but there's another company in nz willing to give u a contract and a payrise id see what they had to offer and weigh up my options- what else can u do? Its business 🤷‍♂️

Hows it any different to whats just happened to capewell? "we wont be extending u after next year but have heard this club is interested and theyd give u a pay rise too..."
Again- moving country applies whether its a trade or not- if u want to play for the warriors u have to move to nz- theres no way around that.

Hows it short notice- theyve got a whole year to sort all that and again thats no different to anyone we sign- swap or not.

I love these ones where people compare the average job to that of a professional sportsman but ill humor u.
If my company said we're not gonna extend your contract next year but there's another company in nz willing to give u a contract and a payrise id see what they had to offer and weigh up my options- what else can u do? Its business 🤷‍♂️

Nevermind a winning ex-Panthers coach making everyone play out of their skin with a club that's willing to give you an upgrade, and try to win a premiership. I'm sure absolutely no young Aussies with high ceilings want to upskill for 3 years away from home (or kiwis returning home) under Dally M coach of the year. It's so much better to play for teams that finish in the bottom 3 and have media circus around every 3 months about their coach getting sacked, as long as their is a beach and some sunshine

STFU and go back to talking about how awesome/poor CHT is!

I think we all know, or at least, I hope so, that if a swap does go down, that *insert Tigers/Dragons/Sharks/Dogs player* would have to agree to come here

If AFB decided he wanted to go to the Tigers, and Webby has the hots for Stefano, it’s not like Benji would be tapping Stefano to say tough shit bud, you have to go to NZ; Benji would have to agree to let Webby speak with Stefano, and then it is down to him and Cappy to work their magic
Like you said it’s not the U.S

Nevermind a winning ex-Panthers coach making everyone play out of their skin with a club that's willing to give you an upgrade, and try to win a premiership. I'm sure absolutely no young Aussies with high ceilings want to upskill for 3 years away from home (or kiwis returning home) under Dally M coach of the year. It's so much better to play for teams that finish in the bottom 3 and have media circus around every 3 months about their coach getting sacked, as long as their is a beach and some sunshine

STFU and go back to talking about how awesome/poor CHT is!

Yeah that should be enough for a young poly to convince his missus and parents to leave the country, especially the Super coach with only one year track record three thousand kilometers away eh, what Australian would not leap to leave Aussie for a couple of Pacific Islands three hours away by expensive plane?

The problem with swaps is that they are held with a gun to your head, nothing to do with the logic that is a sweet offer paying overs for the imports that we do sign.

Last edited:
Back