Rumour Kearney to depart Eels: report

NRL RSS NRL Feed

Coach Stephen Kearney has reportedly parted ways with Parramatta after a meeting with the Eels board.
Kearney, who joined the NRL club at the start of the 2011 season, has seen his team struggle under his guidance, with the Eels languishing at the foot of the ladder having just avoided the wooden spoon last season.
Fairfax reports that Kearney will announce his resignation at a media conference on Friday morning.
Kearney had reportedly met with the Eels board on Wednesday.
It is thought that Kearney's axing will take effect immediately with assistant coaches Chris Anderson and Brad Arthur to take over the reins until a coach is appointed for the 2013 season.

Continue reading...

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Coaching Parramatta a poisoned chalice? Or is Kearney just an average coach?

tbh I don't think he could have picked a worse gig for his first fulltime head coaching role.

tajhay

Bird Gang to Warrior
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
He was in a no-win situation. Prior to him joining Eels, he was highly regarded and would have been next cab of the rank if a coach was needed by other NRL clubs. He made the wrong move, and has paid dearly.

Danpatmac

Eels have a messed up board and massive internal politics... not to mention entitled and egotistical players.

Not his fault.

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Eels have a messed up board and massive internal politics... not to mention entitled and egotistical players.

Not his fault.
Kearney isn't their first casualty, he's not a bad coach. Parra used to be a great club but it's board & players are living in the past and need to face up to a few facts. Their guts is rotten.
Steve will move on I'm sure , he deserves better

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
why? blueys already won more games as a nrl coach than kearney and kearney had a whole season's head start
Bluey is a Muppet, that's why. I'm certain Kearney could have walked into this club and have a similar record, regardless of how shit he is. Parramatta was the stupidest assignment he could have taken. Their culture is terrible, their board sacks people at the drop of a hat, and the roster in general is weak. I'm almost tempted to claim Kearney would have fit in here a lot better than our current coach. I base this off him not only being a Kiwi, but also having a more similar mind to Cleary. I think he would have been something of a mid point between Ivan and Mcclennan.

I'm not saying hire him as head coach, but if he's available, why not see if he's keen to be on our coaching staff in a similar capacity to what he was at the Storm? Even if it's just for the rest of the year.

janfin

1st Grade Fringe
May 13, 2012
Hamilton
Just came over the sky news [aussie news ] that the Ricky Stuart is looking the goods to take over the coaching role

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Name more successful kiwi's coach before you trash Steve..............................................................

Are we plush with experienced Coaches in NZ or something ?

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Gold Coast
The Eels board should be the ones getting fired surprised their fans havent stormed the castle with pitchforks and flaming torches baying for their blood, its on the Game Plan tonight CH10, heard they are looking at Ricky Stuart, I think they've gotta put a broom through their back office as Gus is supposedly doing at Penrith

Reactions: Sup42

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Nelson
No surprise, i thought he was a mud coach before he got the Parra job, and he hasn't done anything to change my mind.
Mate he isn't mud,I rate Kearney highly he just didint have the playing roster,he will get another gig somewhere else.ill put my money on the assistant coach at the knights with his mate Benny,and mike stone will get the parra job.poor bastard

Reactions: drydenio

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings