General Kearney Given Two More Games

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10810449

The Parramatta Eels board have discussed terminating the final year of coach Steve Kearney's contract if he can't turn things around at the embattled club in two weeks.
The Sunday Telegraph has revealed Eels directors will consider telling Kearney his services will not be required next season if Parramatta lose their next two games - to Cronulla tomorrow night and South Sydney. Officials continue to debate whether to go in a new direction in 2013 by appointing Jason Taylor or Blues coach Ricky Stuart.
Kearney fronted a board meeting at Parramatta Leagues Club last Tuesday, where the coach provided his reasoning about why the Eels remain anchored to the bottom of the ladder.
"Steve comes to all the board meetings to do a review of month-to-month where we're at. He certainly wasn't hauled before the board," Eels chief executive Bob Bentley said.
Questioned about whether directors had discussed replacing Kearney if results did not improve, Bentley said: "To be honest, that's something any board would do in a business environment. My view of it is if you're running a business ... in our case the leagues club is going really well from a financial point of view but the footy club's not going so well on the park. So they'll continue to have those sort of thoughts and views and discussions, which is normal.
"But there hasn't been any sort of discussion beyond the end of the year. At this stage [Kearney's] contracted until the end of next year and things won't change unless the board make some decisions otherwise."
As revealed last month, Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo was poised to parachute Taylor in as a coaching director until Kearney hit the idea on the head. Since then, Parramatta directors have repeatedly offered Kearney any coaching assistance he needs, including ex-Kiwi test coach Graham Lowe. But he has rejected all offers.
If results fail to improve, Kearney is expected to be shown the door amid talk he has lost some of the players.
Since taking the helm in October 2010, he has compiled the worst coaching record at Parramatta in 42 seasons, with seven wins from 35 games.
On the recruitment front, the Eels have missed out on 21 stars, including Tony Williams, Issac Luke, Beau Scott, Bronson Harrison, Ryan Hinchcliffe and Jason Taumalolo, in two seasons.
Of the Eels top 25 roster, Kearney has either signed or re-signed 18 players so must accept accountability for the poor results.
"Steve's had to deal with some on- and off-field issues in his second year as head coach here and it hasn't been easy for anyone," Bentley said. "The board deserve a fair bit of credit for providing him with all the resources to get this current team to perform. They haven't denied him anything and we'll continue to offer him any resource he requires.

Reaction score
Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hes gone for sure, Hes strugglin to keep his Kiwis coaching spot too

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeah. Feel for the guy.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Putting on my conspiracy hat now.

What if the eels purposely lose the next few games to get rid of Kearny. I hear a lot of the senior players don't like him too much.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
There is only Kearney and Bluey in the NRL ....flag ship coaches for NZRL.

It's a real shame, what could have been , he won't get another gig because the Eels are not just under performing , they are the worst.
If kearney looses the Kiwi Job....i can't but help think what a waste of experience.

Reaction score
Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
the kiwis team need some new direction, as the world cup win was the beginning of a new era i think its time now to take it even further, the kiwis have been playing the same safe way for too long, trying to grind out wins against the aussies, when we play the aussies we hardly ever get more than 2 or 3 tries, i think they need a new coach, trun the kiwis into a more attacking power, use the strengths and depth we have now to our advantage, with kearney i just see more of the same

Reaction score
warriors8

warriors8

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Now its NZRL turn.......

Or do the NZRL keep a sacked NRL Coach as the national teams coach......

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Rep footy is different. It's hit and run. You don't have to maintain performance levels over 6 months. All you have to do is get up for individual games.

Reaction score
warriors8

warriors8

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Hence getting rid of him NOW!! If he doesnt get results coaching a team fulltime how will he get results coaching a team 4 or 5 times a year? IMO id rather have Wiki then Kearney as kiwi coach

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
What are Wikis coaching creds?

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Eels board met with Stephen Kearney last night with a view to sacking him due to the team's lack of performance in 2012. They have to date only won one match.

During discussions, it transpired that the Eels do no have enough money to sack Stephen Kearney.

As a result, the board of the Eels this morning have expressed their full confidence in their Coach Stephen Kearney.

Seriously - the only reason to wait two weeks is to make sure the T's are crossed and the I's dotted legally, surely. I mean, beating Cronulla in the form they're in wouldn't be a bad achievement but Souths?? So what?

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Eels keep chasing their tails it wont end well for either party.

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
The Eels board met with Stephen Kearney last night with a view to sacking him due to the team's lack of performance in 2012. They have to date only won one match.

During discussions, it transpired that the Eels do no have enough money to sack Stephen Kearney.

As a result, the board of the Eels this morning have expressed their full confidence in their Coach Stephen Kearney.

Seriously - the only reason to wait two weeks is to make sure the T's are crossed and the I's dotted legally, surely. I mean, beating Cronulla in the form they're in wouldn't be a bad achievement but Souths?? So what?
Souths are in the top 5 currently are they not (lastnights result excluded). So beating Souths would be a great achievment.

Reaction score
1Daz

1Daz

U20's Player
Reaction score
Along with the Panthers, on paper Parramatta are the worst side in the comp... really what does the Parramatta board expect is going to happen if Kearney is replaced? Cant see anyone fixing that mess tbh.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
What are Wikis coaching creds?
Defensive coach for the Warriors and motivator of the Kiwis before the Rangi Chase England 4 Nations game.

...good point.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Putting on my conspiracy hat now.

What if the eels purposely lose the next few games to get rid of Kearny. I hear a lot of the senior players don't like him too much.
Can you blame them? Sure their roster isn't great, but it's not bad enough to suck THIS much. Kearney can't coach without Bennett it seems. Wouldn't be shocked to see him back as an assistance at the Knights or Storm tbh...

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think SK days are numbered. At the start of the season Brian Smith was the fav to be punted before the end of the season. Looks like Steves got him covered. Don't know who they'll replace him with. Don't like to see anyone go before there time, but his record is appalling . I suppose it's more economical to payout the coach rather than 6 under performing players

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Any coach would have to be demented to take over the rabble that is Parra, they can change coaches till the end of time, if they don't sort out the playing roster nothing will change.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Any coach would have to be demented to take over the rabble that is Parra, they can change coaches till the end of time, if they don't sort out the playing roster nothing will change.
Its a shame the Bulldogs picked up Inu. If the Warriors had been able to sack him, he could have taken over as Eels coach.

Top Bottom