General Kearney Asks Wiki To Go Easy On Storm

Jesbass_old

From www.nrl.com:

Ruben Wiki received a text message from former Kiwis rugby league teammate Stephen Kearney this week.

It wasn't about the Test skipper's impending feat of equalling Kearney's record of 264 National Rugby League matches, the most by a New Zealander.

"It was about taking it easy on his boys," Wiki said.

"But I told him I couldn't do that."

Wiki will draw level with Kearney on Saturday night when he runs out for the New Zealand Warriors against the club where Kearney is assistant coach, competition leaders Melbourne.

"Stephen's a good friend of mine and it will be good to catch up with him," he said.

"But this record thing, it didn't even come into the picture really."

Wiki didn't raise the matter in his reply, because the front rower wasn't aware of what he was about to achieve until Warriors' media manager Richard Becht told him.

As someone who took one match at a time, the 33-year-old Wiki found his tally of first-grade appearances had crept up on him, and there were a couple of ironies that were "weird, man".

The first that he would match Kearney's total while playing against the club Kearney was helping to coach.

The second was that his mother, Tessa, who now lived in Melbourne, would be among the crowd at Olympic Park.

"That's going to be even weirder," he said.

"Mum's cooking a bit of an island feed for me after the match, so I'm looking forward to catching up with her as well."

Barring injury - or another dreaded brush with the judiciary - Wiki will break the record in front of the Warriors' own fans the following weekend, when the Sydney Roosters come visiting.

Without the suspensions he has received in a 14-season career that began as a centre with the Canberra Raiders, he would be nudging the 300 mark.

"It's really funny," he said.

"With my fabulous record at the judiciary, I don't know how I've still got to this number."

His last ban was only a fortnight ago, when he had to sit out the win over Cronulla because of a high tackle against Penrith in the previous round.

When he returned to action against North Queensland last Saturday night, he and fellow prop Steve Price did what they have been doing with regularity and laid the platform for a 26-0 victory.

Wiki arrived at the Warriors at the beginning of last season, after 12 years and one premiership with the Raiders.

In April, he signed a one-year extension to his contract to the end of 2008, when he will be 35.

He quipped that his judiciary enforced stints on the sidelines might have prolonged his career by saving him from a few injuries.

"I'm still enjoying it. This is what I love doing. Hopefully I can keep on doing it until I can't do it any more," he said.

warriorfaithful*_old

Jesbass said:
"I'm still enjoying it. This is what I love doing. Hopefully I can keep on doing it until I can't do it any more," he said.

Good on ya Rubes!!!!! :)

*Kimmy*_old

Aww..how can you not love Rubes ffs!!..he is a champ..my god he is so freaking awesome!!! <3

sebastian_old

So the mind games have started, i have a feeling Wiki might not be at his best on Sat. as the Storms bum boy(Stephen Kearny) has obviously tried to humble him by complimenting him. Melbourne have played this well, kudos to them but i hope Wiki can keep a neutral perpecstive & put a big performance in. We trust in Ruben Wiki...

Skinny_Ravs82

There's a conflict of interest at my house. Dad's going for Melb, mum's going for Melb, my sister's boyfriend is going for Melb, my sister will go for whoever wins. I'm the only one going for the Warriors! LOL.

sebastian_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
There's a conflict of interest at my house. Dad's going for Melb, mum's going for Melb, my sister's boyfriend is going for Melb, my sister will go for whoever wins. I'm the only one going for the Warriors! LOL.

well you always catch a plane up to my house!!!

*Kimmy*_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Don't worry..my family is like that with the Bulldogs. They support anyone who is playing against em..unless they have tipped them ffs.

Skinny_Ravs82

Hehe thanks Seb ;) if I wasn't broke I would take ya up on that!
GTD, yeah it's annoying isn't it? Sometimes peeps just don't understand us.

*Kimmy*_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
No they do not. And i'm the most obsessive NRL liker in the whole of Invercargill me thinks. My family all think im weird. =(

Skinny_Ravs82

Go_The_Doggies said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
No they do not. And i'm the most obsessive NRL liker in the whole of Invercargill me thinks. My family all think im weird. =(

Well nevermind them. We don't think you're weird at all.

sebastian_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Go_The_Doggies said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:

yep, we think your just one of US.

*Kimmy*_old

sebastian said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Go_The_Doggies said:
Skinny_Ravs82 said:

yep, we think your just one of US.
I am one of you *does evil smirk*