International England vs Tonga Tour 2023

You see MMT get the play of the ball and they were all just standing there all over the place not wanting to get into some formation. They are off their feet tired. No way they should win this...

Handling errors, fitness and halves let Tonga down. Lucky to keep it close. Looks like they are all suffering from a long season. Some awesome defence from both teams. Bruising stuff. Englands goal line D was amazing. Was the difference tonight or MMT would have had more points.

Gonna need a big effort for the last game. Well done England...

Some brutal hits that game, England defence was amazing.
MMT looked to be running in quicksand, coach said last week they haven't adjusted to the slower pitches, are they that much softer up there this time of year?
Congrats to the Englishmen, too good this series. Not that much between them though, halves and game management the difference, that'll come in time for Tonga.

Mikey Lewis is a handy player in the Metcalf vein. It's a shame he's got such deep roots in playing for Hull because he'd be a great pickup for us.

England v Tonga: Hosts 'obsessed' with series clean sweep says head coach Shaun Wane​

Last updated on 2 hours ago2 hours ago.From the section Rugby League

Josh Thewlis and Morgan Smithies
Uncapped Josh Thewlis (left) and Morgan Smithies (right) have been named in England's squad
England head coach Shaun Wane says his side are "obsessed" with claiming a series clean sweep over Tonga with victory in Saturday's final Test.
England hold an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-game series after wins in St Helens and Huddersfield.
Wanes has also called Josh Thewlis and Morgan Smithies into his squad for the finale at Headingly in Leeds.
"We have to win on Saturday just like they [Tonga] have to, " Wane said on Tuesday.
"It means a lot to us to get a win this Saturday and I feel like I know my players. The way we talk and trained, they are obsessed with winning this game.
"It'll be fantastic for our game, they're number five in the world rankings and have a lot of great athletes who play in the NRL.
"I watch NRL, I know what they've got on their team but the way my lads have stood up to them with the physicality when we are dwarfed in size and weight shows a lot of English spirit and that's what I'm most proud of."
Wane has also called-up two new faces despite previously saying he would not.
Smithies has moved to Canberra Raiders after helping Wigan to win the Grand Final, and Warrington's Thewlis is the Super League Young Player of the Year.
"I'm really pleased to be able to bring both Morgan and Josh into our squad," Wane added.
"Morgan has had a terrific season with Wigan and impressed me earlier this year when he wore the England shirt for the first time, and Josh is coming in on the back of a breakthrough year with Warrington.
Smithies made his Test debut in the win over France in April, while Thewlis is uncapped.
Waned added: "Both players are very versatile and offer me some options in key positions ahead of the third Test. Our players have endured a long season and there are little knocks here and there so it's important we bolstered the squad in this final week.
"It's great to know that Rugby League fans will be turning out in big numbers in Leeds this weekend to round off the series."

This series looks like its being played emotionless. Tonga plays best with emotion. If Woolf played Konrad it might help.

The English team sucks the life out of you too with their brand.

Kiwis always look like they cannot get fired up against England.

A side effect of them not playing enough tests to piss people off enough to want to beat them.

It was different in the days of the British Lions, endless thuggery and plenty of passion.

Anyone watching this shitfest at Headingley? MMT so frustrating, lacking patience and discipline, Poms too well drilled for them. Crowd's having a good time, congrats for the series whitewash lads.

Back