Team List Junior Warriors vs Manly

BHP

U20's Player
May 9, 2012
Captain Palavi to miss Manly match

Thursday 26 July 2012 1:24 PM
awww.warriors.co.nz_site__content_LeadImage_00038091_image.jpg

Vodafone Junior Warriors captain John Palavi will end his run of unbroken NYC appearances this year when he misses the table-topping side’s 21st-round clash against Manly at Brookvale Oval in Sydney on Sunday.

Palavi, who turns 20 next Tuesday (July 31), has led the side in each of its 18 matches so far this season but coach John Ackland has taken the opportunity to give the hard-working back rower a break.

“John has played a lot of football and we feel he needs to be rested as we prepare for the business end of the season,” he said.

“It also gives us a chance to look at other options.”

Palavi’s absence means prop Ligi Sao will remain the only player in the squad to have appeared in every match when he lines up for the 19th time this season on Sunday. With Palavi out, Carlos Tuimavave will lead the back-to-back 2010-2011 NYC premiers while Siulongoua Fotofili starts in the second row.

Returning to NYC football after five NRL appearances is Omar Slaimankhel, who’ll line up on the right wing looking to extend his tally of 45 tries in 45 NYC games. The impressive Peta Hiku stays at fullback and 17-year-old David Fusitua returns on the left wing from an injury lay-off.

Ackland has named a seven-man bench including Toka Likiliki, who has filled in impressively on the wing in recent weeks; he scored a try and was the team’s top ground gainer with 178 metres last week.

The Vodafone Junior Warriors are aiming for their sixth consecutive victory, having rebounded from a loss to Penrith with wins over Cronulla, North Queensland, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Newcastle to surge to the top of the NYC ladder on 31 points (level on points with the Panthers but ahead of them on points for and against).

Last week’s success was another grind, the Vodafone Junior Warriors working to a 16-0 lead at halftime and extending to 20-0 soon after before finishing up with a 24-14 result. On the back of two penalties in the opening minutes they had a healthy supply of possession but a 6-0 penalty count in Newcastle’s favour over the rest of the contest altered the tone of the match, enabling the Knights to climb back into it.

Eight players topped 100 metres for the Vodafone Junior Warriors while centre Ngataua Hukatai was close to being the ninth with 96 metres.

Workhorse loose forward David Bhana was again required to work overtime in the middle making a game-high 50 tackles. He’s leading all players for most tackles in the competition with 662, his nearest challenger has 625.

Halfback Mason Lino is only six points short of bringing up 100 points for the season.

VODAFONE JUNIOR WARRIORS v MANLY SEA EAGLES
Brookvale Oval, Manly
1.00pm, Sunday, July 29

VODAFONE JUNIOR WARRIORS
1 PETA HIKU
2 OMAR SLAIMANKHEL
3 NGANI LAUMAPE
4 NGATAUA HUKATAI
5 DAVID FUSITUA
6 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE (c)
7 MASON LINO
8 LIGI SAO
9 SILIVA HAVILI
10 NATHANIEL PETERU
11 RAYMOND FAITALA-MARINER
12 SIULONGOUA FOTOFILI
13 DAVID BHANA

Interchange:
14 TRENT BISHOP
15 TOKA LIKILIKI
16 ALBERT VETE
17 ADAM TUIMAVAVE-GERRARD
18 EKO MALU
20 JAMES TAYLOR
21 SIONE FEAO

COACH: JOHN ACKLAND

Manly squad yet to be named

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
I think he's better suited to center, he has a good support game, great strength for his size, decent skills and step....he has reasonable speed, but not enough for wing or
fullback, or the acceleration that can make up for the lack outright pace. Unfortunately for him, he lacks the size that a lot of coaches want these days.

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
I think he's better suited to center, he has a good support game, great strength for his size, decent skills and step....he has reasonable speed, but not enough for wing or
fullback, or the acceleration that can make up for the lack outright pace. Unfortunately for him, he lacks the size that a lot of coaches want these days.
He's been injured recently though right? How does he compare to someone like Tupou at full pace you reckon?

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
He's been injured recently though right? How does he compare to someone like Tupou at full pace you reckon?
His speed didn't look like anything to rave about last season in the 20's from what i saw, or this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if Tupou had slightly better top end speed.
that said, none of our current wingers has the speed needed for the NRL, and that is obvious, going by how easily they were beaten for pace last weeked, and all season for
that matter....opposition coaches dont even need to study our game tapes anymore, it's common knowledge...get the ball wide, and it's try time.

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
His speed didn't look like anything to rave about last season in the 20's from what i saw, or this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if Tupou had slightly better top end speed.
that said, none of our current wingers has the speed needed for the NRL, and that is obvious, going by how easily they were beaten for pace last weeked, and all season for
that matter....opposition coaches dont even need to study our game tapes anymore, it's common knowledge...get the ball wide, and it's try time.
Oh yeah man I totally agree we really need someone with wheels on the wing, as you guys have said a Nightengale type would be perfect, one guy I would love to see play for us is Josh Morris, I like his game, terrific finisher.

As for Omar, yeah from the games I've watched of him I've never seen this so called blistering pace I've heard others here mention about him and he's looked totally out of his depth in first grade so far, although its early days I guess. I'm with you, we need to invest in a high quality winger imo......we have the cap space......

Reactions: facefacts

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Oh yeah man I totally agree we really need someone with wheels on the wing, as you guys have said a Nightengale type would be perfect, one guy I would love to see play for us is Josh Morris, I like his game, terrific finisher.

As for Omar, yeah from the games I've watched of him I've never seen this so called blistering pace I've heard others here mention about him and he's looked totally out of his depth in first grade so far, although its early days I guess. I'm with you, we need to invest in a high quality winger imo......we have the cap space......

I dont rate Nightingale as being fast either, but every other part of his game is so good, it makes up for the lack of pace easily, and he would be brilliant outside a true attacking center
like Hurrell.....as for the Morris boys, hell yeah, i would take either in a heartbeat.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
I dont rate Nightingale as being fast either, but every other part of his game is so good, it makes up for the lack of pace easily, and he would be brilliant outside a true attacking center
like Hurrell.....as for the Morris boys, hell yeah, i would take either in a heartbeat.
Yeah sorry i didnt mean he was outlandishly fast, it looks like that is what i said, he is extremely skilled and very solidly defensively and doesnt make many mistakes which is why i think he would fit great with us.

lol yeah I almost like Josh more than Brett, I rate both extremely highly, we should make a run at both haha.....wishful thinking......

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
Good opportunity to see if Omar is struggling due to the step up, whether the step is too great and that he was only ever going to be a good U20s winger, or whether the people around him (Ben Henry) have been holding him back through limiting his opportunities.

I am quite surprised at how short peoples memory is. Omar was constantly described as one of the fasts players in the U20s and showed it many times, when given a bit of space, yet everyone seems to think he is slow. Factor in the amount of games he has missed to injury this year, and the amount of times he has limped from the field in the games he has played, and you should realise that his legs are his "achilles heel" right now. He will be back, provided the club show him the faith they have shown Bill Tupou.

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Yeah sorry i didnt mean he was outlandishly fast, it looks like that is what i said, he is extremely skilled and very solidly defensively and doesnt make many mistakes which is why i think he would fit great with us.

lol yeah I almost like Josh more than Brett, I rate both extremely highly, we should make a run at both haha.....wishful thinking......

Nightingale and Morris both had outstanding games last night...Nightingale showed what a truly skillful winger can and should be able to do when switched to fullback, and Morris
showed what a winger with real speed can do both on attack and defense....like you said, we can only watch and dream:(.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7

slaughterhouse.sa

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2012
Good opportunity to see if Omar is struggling due to the step up, whether the step is too great and that he was only ever going to be a good U20s winger, or whether the people around him (Ben Henry) have been holding him back through limiting his opportunities.

I am quite surprised at how short peoples memory is. Omar was constantly described as one of the fasts players in the U20s and showed it many times, when given a bit of space, yet everyone seems to think he is slow. Factor in the amount of games he has missed to injury this year, and the amount of times he has limped from the field in the games he has played, and you should realise that his legs are his "achilles heel" right now. He will be back, provided the club show him the faith they have shown Bill Tupou.
Show him faith ....they should drop him back to the Vuclans or Mt Albert.
we all know he has already signed elsewhere - rebels or south sydney.

Confirm, and then dont let him take a development spot another of the 1000s of warriors cotnracted player can have.

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2012
Brisbane

Confirm, and then dont let him take a development spot another of the 1000s of warriors cotnracted player can have.
Have you got a source for your claims? He certainly hasn't signed with South Sydney!

With his powerful fend he'll end up in the centres IMO.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill

I'd be interested to see a source for this claim. The club are clearly weighing up their options with him and trying to decide if he is a future first grader before offering him a contract or letting him go. They won't drop him to the Vulcans. They will return him to the Juniors where he is currently playing.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I'd be interested to see a source for this claim. The club are clearly weighing up their options with him and trying to decide if he is a future first grader before offering him a contract or letting him go. They won't drop him to the Vulcans. They will return him to the Juniors where he is currently playing.
i get the feeling, reading slaughterhouse.sa posts, that he is involved in the akl club comp so may have some inside knowledge.

Leaguenut76

U20's Player
May 15, 2012
If they wanted him to develop the Vulcans would be better than 20's. More defensive orientated.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
If they wanted him to develop the Vulcans would be better than 20's. More defensive orientated.
I'm not saying they should drop him to the Juniors, just that they will. They will want to keep him eligible for the finals. If he played more games out of the Juniors than in, then he would not be eligible to play in the finals. Similar thing happened to Bill Tupou.

I know he should be playing in the Vulcans, but reckon they will want to keep him available for the three-peat.

I'm still holding out hope they are in negotiations with him since he was originally named at wing in the Juniors. Obviously Ackland rates him, to switch him to 5/8th.

BHP

U20's Player
May 9, 2012
Another good win final score 42-22 Try Scorers

Manly

Kayse Greer 31m
Josh Drinkwater 53m
Theo Leato 65m
Jake Busby 71m

Jnr warriors

Liligiifo Sao 20m
Trent Bishop 36m
Ngani Laumape 39m
Peter Hiku 41m
David Bhana 45m
Ngataua Hukatai 59m
Ngani Laumape 75m
Ngataua Hukatai 79m

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
i went out to watch the game yesterday (nothing much else to do on sunday really) no.14 trent bishop was highly impressive, making some good dummy half runs and on top of that some sweet offloads. Omar at 5/8 way too many times he tried to over play his hand. dont recall him kicking long at all, a few nice grubbers into the ingoal. Likiliki got burnt a couple of times on the wing with speed, they bombed to him once though and he jumped above the pack to get it. that was fairly epic.

the tries manly scored were pretty soft to be honest. lazy defense on the line or just jersey grabbing tackles

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings