General Josh Hannay

Would you approve of the Warriors signing Josh Hannay for 2007?

• Total voters

warriors4life_old

Who else thinks that the signing of Josh Hannay for 2007 would be good for our club? He had a mixed 2005, often missing out with Brenton Bowen going onto the wing and Ty Williams into the centres and this year has missed out on the first two games with Neil Sweeney on the wing and Ty Williams in the centres.

He is off-contract at the end of the season and if Toopi was to pack his bags and head to Penrith I think he would be a handy acquisition as he is a good try scorer, a great defender and would solve our goal-kicking problems.

Does anyone else agree?

LeagueNut_old

I've always rated Josh Hannay, but he does seem to have fallen into a hole recently. He would be a good pick-up for any club, and the Warriors could surely find a spot for him if Toopi (or even Martin) head elsewhere.

But I don't reckon it will happen, unless he's prepared to come over here on a salary of two Moro bars per week.

aussie_warrior_old

mmm.... Moro bars. But he can kick as well, would put a bit of pressure on Martin if he is still here.

Iafeta_old

To nip this in the bud, given the club's salary cap pressures we won't be signing any players for 2007, we'll be flat out retaining our 'must keep' players.

Big Fobsta_old

After the last few seasons, we don't really have many that would be classified as "must keep"

-Dr.J-_old

Definitely would rate getting Hannay. If he's on the outer at North Queensland he'd be following a trend to end up here with us. Great kicker, solid defender, good vision on attack. Remember we'll be getting a fair bit of cash back with Guts and Toops leaving. Enough to pick up Hannay easy.

Wiki_old

-Dr.J- said:
Definitely would rate getting Hannay. If he's on the outer at North Queensland he'd be following a trend to end up here with us. Great kicker, solid defender, good vision on attack. Remember we'll be getting a fair bit of cash back with Guts and Toops leaving. Enough to pick up Hannay easy.

Remember we postponed parts of contracts this year so we have to pay some next year.

I don't think we will be signing many next year. It's the ideal time to blood our youth. Maybe something good game out of this whole salary cap scandal.

:)

danco_old

if we have the spare cash sign him, dont think that will happen as we all know the salary cap.

scottyb_old

warriors4life said:
Who else thinks that the signing of Josh Hannay for 2007 would be good for our club? He had a mixed 2005, often missing out with Brenton Bowen going onto the wing and Ty Williams into the centres and this year has missed out on the first two games with Neil Sweeney on the wing and Ty Williams in the centres.

He is off-contract at the end of the season and if Toopi was to pack his bags and head to Penrith I think he would be a handy acquisition as he is a good try scorer, a great defender and would solve our goal-kicking problems.

Does anyone else agree?

has toopi been linked with penrith? i havent heard anything about that, surely that a breach of the anti tampering laws if he is being chased at this time of the season

Iafeta_old

-Dr.J- said:

I'd be somewhat surprised if the club doesn't give Clinton Toopi, Louis Anderson, Simon Mannering and Brent Webb offers, out of the ones quoted to have been in their last year (coincidentally, if Faumuina in his last year too???)

The thing to remember with Guttenbeil is we get a $100,000 discount off his salary. He's a 10 year plus player for us, the only one we have, you are allowed to exclude $100,000 of that player's salary out of the cap. So, if the Warriors sign him for $120,000, they're only paying $20,000 under the salary cap.

Food for thought.

PB_old

Iafeta said:
To nip this in the bud, given the club's salary cap pressures we won't be signing any players for 2007, we'll be flat out retaining our 'must keep' players.

And to stoke the fires - 'cause I do that sort of thing - this was put out last week. Maybe we'll only pay for our sins this year?

Cap set to rise above $4m, says NRL chief

By James Macsmith
March 12, 2006

RUGBY league boss David Gallop says the NRL is certain to increase the salary cap for the 2007 season.

Negotiations are already under way between the NRL, the clubs and the players about the salary cap formula. Gallop would not be drawn on the possible size of any increase but The Sun-Herald understands talks are focusing on a rise of about $250,000. Clubs now are allowed to spend a maximum of $3.9 million a year on player payments.

The news that the salary cap may be increased comes after the Warriors were fined $435,000 and four competition points for rorting the system, and as players and clubs expect that it can rise because more revenue is coming into the game.

Gallop said the NRL was keen to spread the wealth of the free-to-air and pay TV deal that was signed last year. The deal is believed to be worth about $85 million a year.

"It is inevitable there will be a cap increase," Gallop said. "But we need to continue to invest in grassroots development.

"The new revenue that is coming into the game needs to be spent in the right areas. And, certainly, rewards for our elite players need to be part of that."

The collective bargaining agreement between the NRL and the Rugby League Professionals Association is up for renewal in 2007 and a salary cap increase will be a huge issue in negotiations.

Gallop said the NRL wanted the gap between the salary cap and the governing body's individual grants to clubs to be closed. The grant stands at $2.7 million, but will be raised to $3 million next season.

The RLPA has called for the cap to be raised to $5 million but Gallop said that was unreasonable.

End Story.

If so may I add.....*clears throat*... Bwahaha!

Iafeta_old

Yeah I saw that Polar Bob, although I'd suggest the Warriors will be relieved and keen to use that extra ching ching to ensure they retain their must keeps. The ones I deem must keeps are Brent Webb, Louis Anderson, and if Faumuina is off contract, Faumuina. Toopi is near a must keep, but if he plays as bad as he did last year and continues to show no interest in the jumper, then he's a must go. He's on the brink of going either way. Martin has little chance of staying for mine, Hame is GOOORRRRNNNE, and Tuimavave is playing for his career. Mannering, not sure whats going to happen there. People have predicted Awen will go, but as I suggest, since he'll get the $100,000 salary cap exemption he may not 'cost' the club that much under the cap anyway.

Just on Josh Hannay, I think he's a decidely average player anyway. I know he's regarded as somewhat of a superboot, but if you look at his career he's kicking about 70%, maybe even lower, and he's had one year where he couldn't miss. Every other season he's barely been able to get them over from right out in front. Also, he was playing QLD Cup last week. Son-of-a-biatch did nail us last year with his goal kicking at Townsville though, but he's still not my cup of tea.

mattyj_old

Ive always rated the guy, he would have been the youngest ever player to play NRL footy when he was selected for his first match, but he wasnt allowed to play.

But, i dont think we`ll be signing anyone for 2007 either.

I dont think it matters if the salary cap is increased, IMO it dosent mean we can sign more players, it will just mean that players will be more expensive on the market. It will be just like inflation the amount you earn will increase but so will the cost of purchasing things.

PB_old

Iafeta said:
Yeah I saw that Polar Bob, although I'd suggest the Warriors will be relieved and keen to use that extra ching ching to ensure they retain their must keeps. The ones I deem must keeps are Brent Webb, Louis Anderson, and if Faumuina is off contract, Faumuina. Toopi is near a must keep, but if he plays as bad as he did last year and continues to show no interest in the jumper, then he's a must go. He's on the brink of going either way. Martin has little chance of staying for mine, Hame is GOOORRRRNNNE, and Tuimavave is playing for his career. Mannering, not sure whats going to happen there. People have predicted Awen will go, but as I suggest, since he'll get the $100,000 salary cap exemption he may not 'cost' the club that much under the cap anyway.

Just on Josh Hannay, I think he's a decidely average player anyway. I know he's regarded as somewhat of a superboot, but if you look at his career he's kicking about 70%, maybe even lower, and he's had one year where he couldn't miss. Every other season he's barely been able to get them over from right out in front. Also, he was playing QLD Cup last week. Son-of-a-biatch did nail us last year with his goal kicking at Townsville though, but he's still not my cup of tea.

Probably true on the player spend. If there was money free, I'd be keeping a bit away for an emergency, to shore up wavering squad talent with the odd unexpected (cap inclusive) bonus, or surprise July 1st opportunities.

One of those would not be Hannay though. Our style requires an sword, not a scabbard.

Jesbass_old

I'm completely for having Josh Hannay added to our player roster from a solely on-field perspective.

I'm completely against having Josh Hannay added to our player roster from a solely financial perspective.