Player Josh Curran

WarriorDave

WarriorDave

Some of the best players our game have ever seen have been dickheads of the highest royal order.
Even as a parent I've never understood the whole putting sports stars up on pedestals as infallible role models. They're human beings who play an extremely aggressive and physical game (in the case of Rugby League) and expecting them to be saints is unrealistic/stupid.

In no way am I trying to excuse Curran for what he did - he'll cop his punishment for giving the kid a hiding and pinching his phone, and rightly so. It takes two to tango however, and if it had been my kid in that situation, I wouldn't want Curran to lose his career over it, whether I was a fan or not.

Blain

Blain

This guy needs to get his head sorted. Deserves punishment, suspension, counselling etc.. But if we rip up his contract, you know he'll be signed by a Tigers/Knights as soon as he hits the market.

I think we have to come down hard on him, but keep him on board if possible.

What he did was far worse than Walsh.

Fonzie

Fonzie

This guy needs to get his head sorted. Deserves punishment, suspension, counselling etc.. But if we rip up his contract, you know he'll be signed by a Tigers/Knights as soon as he hits the market.

I think we have to come down hard on him, but keep him on board if possible.

What he did was far worse than Walsh.
Again, let’s be clear - we don’t know what he did. We only know what someone reportedly is alleging that he did.

Noitall

Noitall

Again, let’s be clear - we don’t know what he did. We only know what someone reportedly is alleging that he did.
Even if he contests the circumstances in the next court appearance, wouldn’t he be stood down until the following court appearance in the least like players that have had stand down periods in recent times? No matter the possibilities for Curran, there surely isn’t much chance of him playing anytime soon.

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

Even if he contests the circumstances in the next court appearance, wouldn’t he be stood down until the following court appearance in the least like players that have had stand down periods in recent times? No matter the possibilities for Curran, there surely isn’t much chance of him playing anytime soon.

I believe that the stand down policy only comes into place when the maximum potential jail sentence is 10 years or more, and I don't think charges Curran is facing take him over that threshold.

Noitall

Noitall

I believe that the stand down policy only comes into place when the maximum potential jail sentence is 10 years or more, and I don't think charges Curran is facing take him over that threshold.
What would be a potential sentence over there for assault, theft and attempts to buy drugs off someone?

Blain

Blain

The police wouldn't have laid charges without reasonable evidence. The coke stuff might be neither here nor there (don't know how that can be proven), but we should be assuming he knocked teeth out of a 16 year old based on the charges he's looking at.

Noitall

Noitall

The police wouldn't have laid charges without reasonable evidence. The coke stuff might be neither here nor there (don't know how that can be proven), but we should be assuming he knocked teeth out of a 16 year old based on the charges he's looking at.
And stole a phone?

Reactions: Defence

JaggedJ

Like I said, if they found the kids phone on Curran and the kid is missing teeth it's going to be hard to prove otherwise.

IF, again - IF he's guilty then I'd tear up his contract no questions asked.

Reactions: Swanny
WarriorDave

WarriorDave

Like I said, if they found the kids phone on Curran and the kid is missing teeth it's going to be hard to prove otherwise.

IF, again - IF he's guilty then I'd tear up his contract no questions asked.
Have to disagree there - but that's the beauty of opinions. If he's guilty then the club need to come down hard on him, as they should do, and he'll need to accept whatever comes from the court hearing - but that should be enough.

Until we have the outcome of the court case though we're just speculating - some still think Lodge should've never been allowed back, I'd say what he did was, in my opinion, worse than flogging a teenager who wasn't doing this for the first time.

While Lodge may have divided the fans, there was no doubting that once you put aside whatever stupid shit he'd done, he was one hell of a player and quite rightly deserved to be back playing the game he loves.

Fonzie

Fonzie

But we do know what he did.

Facts: He punched a 16yr old at 3am in the morning, knocking his teeth out at a nightclub.

Facts: He was held in possession of the kids phone.

What we dont know is why he did it....
Hi mate, not trying to be a pain, but this is just wrong.

The police (reportedly) allege Josh punched the guy and knocked his teeth out.

Josh has not yet responded to the allegation. He may say someone else hit the guy. He may admit hitting the guy but say he had justification. He may plead guilty. I have no idea.

But right now there are no facts, just allegations.

Beastmode

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
Hi mate, not trying to be a pain, but this is just wrong.

The police (reportedly) allege Josh punched the guy and knocked his teeth out.

Josh has not yet responded to the allegation. He may say someone else hit the guy. He may admit hitting the guy but say he had justification. He may plead guilty. I have no idea.

But right now there are no facts, just allegations.

yeah, actually you're right.

They not facts until proven.

I've deleted the post. Apologizes.

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Eh, we kind of got back row log jam, and TBH that's probably the easiest position to find a player, not like spine and big motor props.

As a good a player he is, I wouldn't criticise the club if they ultimately punted him over this. Right to presume innocence etc, etc

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

No way I would be ripping up his contract. Assuming any verdict is much later in the year then I’d start him round 1 and play him until we can’t - which, if guilty, would surely not be more than few games suspended with no jail time.
I do think people a really overestimating the punishment he will get.

Taylan May is getting 2 games for being found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Curran reportedly is being charged with that, along with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm and larceny- My crystal ball can't see anything worse than 4 games suspended, a fine, and compensation for the kid.

I am not trying to defend him, I just don't see why so many would think he will get his contract ripped up over it, whether it be the NRL deregistering him, or by the clubs choice.

WarriorDave

WarriorDave

I do think people a really overestimating the punishment he will get.

Taylan May is getting 2 games for being found guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

We're forgetting the standard Warriors tax, which based off of what Marcelo got earlier this year would probably be 12 games :rolleyes:

One thing to consider when comparing to the Taylan May case is that this was assault against a minor - I'm not a legal expert but I'd guess there might be a difference in the ages? 🤔