Fazz

Fazz

To be honest, apart from a few clangers (probably still far less than Manu/Kata/Hurrell) Wright has been pretty good over the last month. I'm happy enough for him to remain in first grade for the forseeable future. At least we know Wright will more than likely make it through the game, unlike Fusitua, Fish and sometimes Manu. He also seemed to defend quite well with Lolohea, which is important.

If Wright is happy enough to take 100k or less to stick around, I'm happy for us to offer him a two year deal. He'll be very good backup if nothing else.

Reactions: Hadyn
Richie

Richie

Yeah, he's done enough to warrant a 1 year contract for 2016, maybe with another 1 year option for 2017. He's steady and reliable. It never hurts to have one of those in the garage, for when the high performance machines break down.

Reactions: Hadyn

facefacts

To be honest, apart from a few clangers (probably still far less than Manu/Kata/Hurrell) Wright has been pretty good over the last month. I'm happy enough for him to remain in first grade for the forseeable future. At least we know Wright will more than likely make it through the game, unlike Fusitua, Fish and sometimes Manu. He also seemed to defend quite well with Lolohea, which is important.

If Wright is happy enough to take 100k or less to stick around, I'm happy for us to offer him a two year deal. He'll be very good backup if nothing else.

That centering kick he put in for the Shaun Johnson try was reason enough to resign him...whens the last time a Warriors winger had the skill or smarts to come up with that sort of play.

He's not a ball running genius sure, but he's also a better player than he's given credit for.

Reactions: Hadyn and Inruin
Hadyn

Hadyn

If he is happy to take what Cappy thinks he is worth and for as long as we want him I am more than happy to sign him up.
That would make him a good value journeyman/tradesmen.Every club can use a few of those at some stage.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
What I like about Wright is he is here on absolute bottom dollar peanuts chasing his dream even with a family. Guys like him have nothing to lose and give 100%. He'll be offered at least a 2nd tier contract for next season. Whether he remains in 1st Grade or not is up to Cappy but we know if needed he'll do a worthy enough job in the top team...

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
NRL: Wright moves in for Warriors' challenge
David Skipworth
5:00 AM Friday Aug 7, 2015

Replacement centre knows team faces tough task against Dragons.
SCCZEN_A_041214NZHDPWARRIORS01_620x310.jpg

Jonathan Wright ... doing whatever is best for the team. Photo / Dean Purcell

Warriors centre Jonathan Wright knows all eyes are on him as a surprise replacement for Konrad Hurrell for tomorrow's clash against the St George-Illawarra Dragons in Wellington.

Wright has played his previous 15 NRL games this season on the wing, but the 28-year-old is seen by coach Andrew McFadden as the most reliable man to replace the hot and cold Tongan international.

Wright has sympathy for Hurrell, but knows all about the roundabout nature of team selections and the importance of doing the job entrusted to him as the ninth-placed Warriors seek to halt a three-game losing streak.

"I've been in the same shoes before," said Wright. "Two weeks ago, I was dropped, too, and I was down and out.

"But it's just whatever is best for the team. We're all a part of a squad and we all work hard for each other, and the main goal is to win games and make the finals.

"So whoever plays in that jersey, as long as they're doing the job for the club that's the main thing.

"I look forward to the challenge of playing centre. It's a place I want to stay, if I can, and really build on this week."

Wright said his first season at the Warriors had already exceeded expectations but acknowledged the difficulties the side has had because of frequent changes disrupting the backline. Forming intuitive combinations with those around him has been hard with injuries, suspensions and form dictating selections week to week.

"We train together every week but it's when you go through moments in a game when you're under pressure and fatigued, making the right decisions with different combinations, it's quite hard," he said.

"The more game time you play, under fatigue and pressure, the better your combinations become so it's a work in progress.

"Coming over here to a new club [there's been] a lot of challenges and I've really thrived on the energy and culture here.

"[They're] a good bunch of blokes too and I want to make sure we finish the year strong."

Wet and windy conditions are forecast for the Westpac Stadium clash, and Wright says the Warriors will not try to overplay their hand against an experienced and well-balanced Dragons side.

"It brings it back to a simple game plan, running hard and tackling hard and making sure our talk and energy is good.

"The x-factor is the players they have, especially with [Josh] Dugan at the back and very strong running backs. So our kick-chase has to be really good and spot-on.

"And [Benji] Marshall but also [Gareth] Widdop, he's just a classy player. Coming from Melbourne Storm he adds that sort of composure and we've got a tough task on our hands."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11493166

jonno

jonno

Come on Jono. You've almost got an awesome name, so go out there and play like you want it...

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Its quite obvious. Wright is not a gamebreaker, but he gives it his all 100% of the time. Konrad is a lot like Shaun Johnson, he can win a game, when he feels like it. The rest of the time, hes looking at daisies. This is the third, fourth, fifth (?) time he has been dropped for form in his career. He wont kick on with it. He will always be this Konrad, so we need Jonathan Wrights on standby to step up when he needs yet another shake up.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Wright's Koori Knockout glory
Richard Becht
Tue 6th October, 12:07PM
1444087089539.jpg

Less than 24 hours after the stunning extra-time NRL grand final the All Blacks were also involved in a grand final golden point thriller – the Redfern All Blacks, that is – with Vodafone Warrior Jonathan Wright sparked extraordinary scenes after becoming the match-winning hero.

The occasion was yesterday’s grand final at the annual Koori Knockout this year staged in Dubbo.

Wright's father was one of the founders - and an 11-time winner - of the 45-year-old event staged by the New South Wales Aboriginal Rugby League; the four-day event brings together scores of teams, more than 130 this time.

Featuring throughout the weekend were any number of current and former NRL players with Wright’s team-mates in the Redfern All Blacks – Australia’s oldest Aboriginal rugby league club – including Parramatta’s Reece Robinson, ex-South Sydney try-scoring sensation Nathan Merritt and former Sydney Roosters, Parramatta and South Sydney back rower Dean Widders.

The men’s grand final had a finish every bit as remarkable as the NRL finale on Sunday night.

The Newcastle All Blacks were in the lead for most of the contest (22-6 at one point). They were still ahead 32-30 with only five seconds left, the bench and supporters up celebrating a victory they thought was theirs.

But then the drama unfolded. With the fulltime siren sounding, NRL referee Chris James awarded a penalty 49 metres out from Newcastle’s line. Up stepped Shane Nolan to pilot a monster goal, locking the score up at 32-32 and sending the match into extra time.

The contest was into its second term of golden point when Robinson and Wright combined for the Vodafone Warriors to score wide out, igniting scenes of utter jubilation as he was swamped by a tack of team-mates and spectators.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2015/10/06/wright_s_koori_knock.html

[parsehtml]<iframe src="https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/single/538349123526/Koori-Men-s-Grand-Final-Newcastle-All-Blacks-v-Redfern-All-Blacks-No-1" width="640" height="396" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" bgcolor="#131313" ></iframe>[/parsehtml]​

Reactions: Defence