Player Jonathan Wright

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Wasnt sure where to stick this article but it deserves to posted. Thread can double as a Residual Value type one too...

New Warriors signing Jonathan Wright relieved to escape Cronulla Sharks 'circus'
DAVID LONG
1424498234551.jpg

ADDED BITE: New Warriors recruit Jonathan Wright played 17 games for the Cronulla Sharks last year.

New Warriors signing Jonathan Wright is relieved to have a fresh start after a year from hell at the Sharks, where players couldn't face turning up to training.

The Cronulla club was embroiled in Asada's investigation into performance-enhancing drugs last season, which resulted in coach Shane Flanagan being stood down and senior players suspended. Not surprisingly, they won just five matches and took the wooden spoon while staying in the media spotlight.

Wright is thankful to be away from such a toxic environment.

"It was pretty tough: blokes didn't want to go to training, everyone was down and you couldn't prepare for a game or even for training," Wright told Sunday News. "Then it took its toll on some blokes' personal lives, so it was very tough.

"When this opportunity came up, to get away from that circus, I jumped at the chance to come over here and start enjoying my footy again, which I am."

Wright played 17 games for the Sharks last year and is in a congested battle with Ngani Laumape, Solomone Kata, Dominique Peyroux, Matt Allwood and David Fusitua for one of the centre spots this season, while Konrad Hurrell locked in for the other.

He'll have to watch from his couch when the Warriors play their first game of the season, against the Knights on March 7, because he picked up a three-game suspension towards the end of last season for a dangerous throw in the Sharks' loss to the Raiders.

Wright, who played for the Bulldogs in their 2012 Grand Final loss to the Storm, sat out the last two games of the 2014 season and carried the ban over to this year.

"I couldn't play in any [external] trial matches or in the Nines and I missed out on getting voted for the All Stars Indigenous team," he said.

"But it is what it is and I can't do anything about it.

"My frustration went an hour after I found out. The boys know they've got a big game coming up, they'll rip into that and I'll prepare myself to play in round two, no matter what team it's for and I'll enjoy my footy again."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ght-relieved-to-escape-cronulla-sharks-circus

Reactions: Miket12

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Just in case you missed it Jonathan Wright is suspended for Round 1 because of a charge he carried with him from Cronulla...

Wright facing season-ending ban
By Dan Walsh
38744_20_1.jpg

The Warriors have recruited former Shark Jonathan Wright. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.

Cronulla's playing stocks are set to cop a further battering, with centre Jonathan Wright set to be rubbed out for the rest of the year by a 3-5 week ban.

Wright is facing a minimum of three weeks on the sidelines for his Grade 3 Dangerous Throw Tackle on Raiders centre Jarrod Croker on Sunday. Should Wright contest the charge and be found guilty, the suspension will increase to five weeks.

https://www.nrl.com/wright-facing-season-ending-ban/tabid/10874/newsid/81293/default.aspx

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
As Nig pointed out else where, it's an absolute joke that Wright has missed more games than Gallen.
Its only the same amount if you are talking regular season. Gallen missed 3, but was allowed to play in the All Stars. Wright was not allowed to use the Nines or trials as part of his suspension. And who says the world isn't fair?

Jordan G

That's the thing I don't get. Fair enough if he can't use the trials as part of his suspension during the regular season, but to then also use that same suspension to rule him out from properly preparing for the season is pretty dumb IMO.

Could be worse though, Tariq Sims is suspended for the Knights until something like round 5. He would be itching to get out there and develop combinations with his new teammates.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Thought I read he was suspended for round 1; with all of the media articles and fuss about the ASADA investigation you would have thought the article would have mentioned why he was suspended. Note this was an older article not the one posted here.

Imagine if he left the Sharks for the Titans; you know lifestyle on the Gold Coast and all close to the beaches. He'd be back in the same circus.

Heard an interview with him towards the end of last year. He sounded keen to move to Auckland, hopefully the new environment sees him play some good football. If not hopefully the competition for spots in the remaining centre or wing spots means we see some good football our of Wright and the others going for those spots.

Missed why Gallop can play in the All Stars but Wright is still suspended. I would have thought all of the Sharks mickey mouse back dated suspensions would have covered the same time frame and games.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
Thought I read he was suspended for round 1; with all of the media articles and fuss about the ASADA investigation you would have thought the article would have mentioned why he was suspended. Note this was an older article not the one posted here.

Imagine if he left the Sharks for the Titans; you know lifestyle on the Gold Coast and all close to the beaches. He'd be back in the same circus.

Heard an interview with him towards the end of last year. He sounded keen to move to Auckland, hopefully the new environment sees him play some good football. If not hopefully the competition for spots in the remaining centre or wing spots means we see some good football our of Wright and the others going for those spots.

Missed why Gallop can play in the All Stars but Wright is still suspended. I would have thought all of the Sharks mickey mouse back dated suspensions would have covered the same time frame and games.
Wright's suspension is nothing to do with the ASADA drama. He got 3 weeks for a dangerous throw in round 24.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
NZ Warriors wing Jonathan Wright focused on the Rabbitohs, not what he can't control
CLAY WILSON
Last updated 05:00, June 5 2015
1433404276636.jpg

After a forgettable 2014 season in more ways than one, Jonathan Wright hopes he has found a new home.

The New Zealand Warriors centre-come-wing did it tough last year as part of a Cronulla Sharks side which won just five NRL games, collected the wooden spoon and was constantly in the spotlight thanks to an Asada investigation that saw coach Shane Flanagan banned and several senior players suspended.

With no contract for 2015 and uncertain if he had a future in the NRL or not, Wright had begun a labouring job when the Warriors came calling with a one-year lifeline.

Twelve rounds into this season and with the South Sydney Rabbitohs looming in Perth on Saturday night (NZ time), that deal is yet to be extended.

But after helping the Auckland-based franchise to six wins from 11 games, and a place in the top eight, the likeable 28-year-old is hopeful that will change.

"I'd love to stay here. My family is all settled in and I really love the club itself from the top to the bottom. It's a really good club and the boys are awesome, too.

"And the way the Warriors play I enjoy and I can see myself here hopefully a bit longer."

Wright missed round one with a suspension carried over from 2014, but has played every minute since, scoring four tries and proving a typically reliable presence on the right wing.

Now with 101 caps in first grade and a grand final under his belt with the Bulldogs in 2012, Wright's experience was the key factor Warriors coach Andrew McFadden signed him on.

Although nothing is set in stone for next season, Wright said he was simply focusing on what he could control at this point.

"I'm enjoying my footy and the boys have helped me out a lot. Cappy (McFadden) and the boys on the coaching staff have shown a lot of faith in me and that's been really good.

"Hopefully I can keep building on that and I keep improving each week to do my best for the team, that's all I can really control.

"All I can do is play each game as if it's my last really. We have a great squad and there's a lot of depth so there's a lot of pressure on all players in all positions. It keeps you honest, which is good."

Despite three consecutive NRL victories, the Warriors are on a three-year losing streak in Perth and were far from perfect during Sunday's narrow win over the Knights. Wright said while they would always take an ugly win over a gallant loss, it was important they continued to improve and build on the momentum they had gathered .

"We were a bit scratchy in a few areas in the last few games and we are still grinding out wins, but if we want to keep building and be a force in this competition, especially this week against Souths, we need to be really disciplined and working hard for each other

"We need to start this week to really get on a roll. That's really important and it all starts this weekend over in Perth against Souths.

"There a big team and we need to make sure we are prepared for that."

The reigning premiers, the Rabbitohs come into the contest with three wins from their last four matches and sit sixth on the NRL ladder. One place back in seventh, the Warriors have the same number of competition points, meaning victory for the NZ side would see the teams trade places at the halfway point of the regular season.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...sed-on-the-rabbitohs-not-what-he-cant-control

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
Firstly, the negatives - he has some really poor reads in defence, and at times his handling of cross field kicks is error prone so he can give away a try or two. He is however certainly not Robinson Crusoe in that aspect at the Warriors. He also can find himself slightly misreading Johnson's attack, firstly though that combination is not easy because Johnson sees and tries to execute plays few others see available through his speed and balance, although that has improved and the passes he would have waltzed over the line for if he had been in position now seem to be getting taken and converted for meat pies.

Positives, he seems to have a great attitude and a workmanlike approach to his game. He is getting more and more involved doing the dirty yards to relieve the effort the pack has to have to get back on side for tackles three onwards.

Where he seems to have it all over the likes of David Fusitua and Glen Fisiiahi is that unquantifiable ability to be available week in week out. Through that he got his start. Fish and Fusitua undoubtedly IMO have it all over him for ability and potential but they need to improve their resilience to injuries.

I don't think Johnno is going to break the bank. He's already played a high percentage of our matches, so he seems to find his way into the top 17 by hook or by crook. I think he's a valuable player to offer a 2 year contract for.

Matulino's Left Shoulder

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 22, 2012
He thought his career was over 12 months ago, so he would probably be happy to play in NSW grade if needed.
Why the hell wouldn't you keep a guy like that around on low coin.
And with our injury toll, he'll probably end up playing every game of 2016 too.

#ThePeoplesChamp

Reactions: Hadyn and Inruin

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
To be honest, apart from a few clangers (probably still far less than Manu/Kata/Hurrell) Wright has been pretty good over the last month. I'm happy enough for him to remain in first grade for the forseeable future. At least we know Wright will more than likely make it through the game, unlike Fusitua, Fish and sometimes Manu. He also seemed to defend quite well with Lolohea, which is important.

If Wright is happy enough to take 100k or less to stick around, I'm happy for us to offer him a two year deal. He'll be very good backup if nothing else.

Reactions: Hadyn

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
If the peoples champ isn't a warrior next year I'll be hugely disappointed...

We dont get too many regular guys who can beat the odds...

Richie

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 28, 2012
Yeah, he's done enough to warrant a 1 year contract for 2016, maybe with another 1 year option for 2017. He's steady and reliable. It never hurts to have one of those in the garage, for when the high performance machines break down.

Reactions: Hadyn

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
To be honest, apart from a few clangers (probably still far less than Manu/Kata/Hurrell) Wright has been pretty good over the last month. I'm happy enough for him to remain in first grade for the forseeable future. At least we know Wright will more than likely make it through the game, unlike Fusitua, Fish and sometimes Manu. He also seemed to defend quite well with Lolohea, which is important.

If Wright is happy enough to take 100k or less to stick around, I'm happy for us to offer him a two year deal. He'll be very good backup if nothing else.

That centering kick he put in for the Shaun Johnson try was reason enough to resign him...whens the last time a Warriors winger had the skill or smarts to come up with that sort of play.

He's not a ball running genius sure, but he's also a better player than he's given credit for.

Reactions: Hadyn and Inruin

Hadyn

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2013
If he is happy to take what Cappy thinks he is worth and for as long as we want him I am more than happy to sign him up.
That would make him a good value journeyman/tradesmen.Every club can use a few of those at some stage.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
What I like about Wright is he is here on absolute bottom dollar peanuts chasing his dream even with a family. Guys like him have nothing to lose and give 100%. He'll be offered at least a 2nd tier contract for next season. Whether he remains in 1st Grade or not is up to Cappy but we know if needed he'll do a worthy enough job in the top team...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
NRL: Wright moves in for Warriors' challenge
David Skipworth
5:00 AM Friday Aug 7, 2015

Replacement centre knows team faces tough task against Dragons.
SCCZEN_A_041214NZHDPWARRIORS01_620x310.jpg

Jonathan Wright ... doing whatever is best for the team. Photo / Dean Purcell

Warriors centre Jonathan Wright knows all eyes are on him as a surprise replacement for Konrad Hurrell for tomorrow's clash against the St George-Illawarra Dragons in Wellington.

Wright has played his previous 15 NRL games this season on the wing, but the 28-year-old is seen by coach Andrew McFadden as the most reliable man to replace the hot and cold Tongan international.

Wright has sympathy for Hurrell, but knows all about the roundabout nature of team selections and the importance of doing the job entrusted to him as the ninth-placed Warriors seek to halt a three-game losing streak.

"I've been in the same shoes before," said Wright. "Two weeks ago, I was dropped, too, and I was down and out.

"But it's just whatever is best for the team. We're all a part of a squad and we all work hard for each other, and the main goal is to win games and make the finals.

"So whoever plays in that jersey, as long as they're doing the job for the club that's the main thing.

"I look forward to the challenge of playing centre. It's a place I want to stay, if I can, and really build on this week."

Wright said his first season at the Warriors had already exceeded expectations but acknowledged the difficulties the side has had because of frequent changes disrupting the backline. Forming intuitive combinations with those around him has been hard with injuries, suspensions and form dictating selections week to week.

"We train together every week but it's when you go through moments in a game when you're under pressure and fatigued, making the right decisions with different combinations, it's quite hard," he said.

"The more game time you play, under fatigue and pressure, the better your combinations become so it's a work in progress.

"Coming over here to a new club [there's been] a lot of challenges and I've really thrived on the energy and culture here.

"[They're] a good bunch of blokes too and I want to make sure we finish the year strong."

Wet and windy conditions are forecast for the Westpac Stadium clash, and Wright says the Warriors will not try to overplay their hand against an experienced and well-balanced Dragons side.

"It brings it back to a simple game plan, running hard and tackling hard and making sure our talk and energy is good.

"The x-factor is the players they have, especially with [Josh] Dugan at the back and very strong running backs. So our kick-chase has to be really good and spot-on.

"And [Benji] Marshall but also [Gareth] Widdop, he's just a classy player. Coming from Melbourne Storm he adds that sort of composure and we've got a tough task on our hands."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11493166

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings