General Johnson & the Gimp Twit

BigD_old

Rising Warriors star Shaun Johnson has become New Zealand sport's latest target of "unacceptable" racial abuse – but is attempting to laugh it off.

Shortly after the Warriors lost 32-12 to Canberra last Sunday, the 21-year-old playmaker – whose mother is Laotian – was sent a message to his Twitter account describing him as an "Asian little gimp".

The contents of the message – which saw his team-mates rally around him – have come to light just four days after under fire Blues coach Pat Lam emotionally went public with his disappointment over racial abuse directed at him, his family and his players.

The full message sent to Johnson – the Warriors' first-ever part-Asian player – read: "You played like s*** today, Asian little gimp!" It was sent as frustrated fans lashed out vocally on the airwaves and through social media after the Warriors' poor showing, with Johnson saying while he was trying to laugh off the message, the vitriol from some fans had been surprising.

"To get that said to me was something a bit different," he said.

"But I'm not angry ... look, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

"I suppose for myself, this is probably the first time I've experienced it. It's a bit unreal actually. I was pretty disappointed with some of the, I guess they call themselves, true fans.

"But they've got a right to be disappointed. They also need to understand that there's nobody more disappointed than the playing group." His father, Paul, said of the author of the tweet: "Who is he to comment? He is just an idiot.

"It is always the same ... they [fans] are always looking for a reason why the team is playing badly.

"When everyone is going right, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. It is the diehard fans who stay with you." Paul Johnson said his son hadn't "taken it to heart" and was trying to laugh the message off.

"That is the kind of people we are," he said.

Race Relations Commissioner Joris de Bres described the racist abuse as "completely unacceptable" and labelled the authors of it "cowards".

The Twitter message also left his team-mates unimpressed.

Blockbusting wing Manu Vatuvei posted: "Leave my Asian brother alone." Star forward Feleti Mateo also tweeted as abuse flooded in on Sunday: "And to all the coaches from the couch STFU [Shut the f... up]!!!!!." He tweeted later in the week: "Apologies 2 d fans and members out there for d harsh words on Sunday. Bounce bak dis week VS d bunnies. Thanks 4 the support." After some mixed performances during his side's two-week road trip in Australia, Johnson, who had a fairytale debut season last year, will be under pressure to perform in this afternoon's clash at Mt Smart Stadium against the Rabbitohs.

Matt13-1_old

Can expect criticism when they play like crap, but comments like that are uncalled for and pointless.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

Maybe I am a little too non-PC but Asian was not a racist term where I was raised. Gimp is definitely intended as an insult, but Asian is only a general description of his ancestry, isn't it?

That is about as racist as someone calling me a 'caucasian dickhead'.

ShaunJohnson7_old

Maybe I am a little too non-PC but Asian was not a racist term where I was raised. Gimp is definitely intended as an insult, but Asian is only a general description of his ancestry, isn't it?

True that, I agree. This world is becoming more PC by the day, but still the guy that tweeted that is just a loser.

boats n hoes_old

Once you add a person's race to an insult it becomes a racist insult for mine.

No place for it. Keyboard heroes everywhere.

Lego_Man_old

Presumably the inference drawn is that he's a gimp because he's Asian.

ShaunJohnson7_old

Yeah man, fancy hurling abuse via twitter at a 21 year old kid and its probably some idiot that contributes nothing to society at all.

BA-AD Luck_old

Yeah exactly, he's not just a gimp. He's a gimp because he is Asian. It Like saying you're a dickhead which could be true, but only because you're caucasian that you are a dick head. Confused myself, but just a happy Sunday for a change!

'95 Till Infinity_old

Any time somebody has to stoop to where they have to denigrate one's nationality that shows their level of intelligence,or lack thereof.

BringBackRovelli_old

Yeah If it wasn't meant to be a insult he wouldn't have said it. And if it's meant as an insult then it's racist.

If I say that Vatuvei is a dumb Maori loser, is it not racist?

'95 Till Infinity_old

Yeah If it wasn't meant to be a insult he wouldn't have said it. And if it's meant as an insult then it's racist.

Of course it's racist but it'd also show how ignorant you are because Manu's Tongan:)

ToiletDuck_old

Yeaaah you can't chuck someone's race in there as part of the insult then claim you're not intending it to be racist.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

No its not racist, its just incorrect, as he is not Maori.

I think too much is being read into the comment. Nothing in the words tells me the poster meant he is a gimp because he is asian. To me (perhaps somewhat naively) it states he is both asian and a gimp (not sure if they mean either 1: a flat braid or rounded cord used for trimming, 2: a limp or a person who limps, 3: pep or spirit, or 4: a sexual fetishist who enjoys being dominated and wearing leather:t).

I find it unusual and somewhat wrong that it is OK to segregate people by race in positive situations but not negatively. I personally don't even care what race someone is, and tend to ignore it. I find any classification based on race as seperatist and racist in itself. But feel that negative statements that contain a persons race aren't necessarily intended as racism, but simply negative statements with racial classification included.

Perhaps this makes me racist?

BringBackRovelli_old

The Asian is meant as an insult, otherwise it would not be mentioned. Every time your nationality or ethnic background is used as an insult, that's pretty racist. But anyway, doubt Johnson's gonna worry much about it.

surfin_old

I know it's wrong and this type of thing doesn't belong ,but I sort of lean the same way as Mah here. If this loser had called him fat,ugly,stupid or numerous other things to try and belittle him or anyone else it wouldn't rate a second look. The guy who posted it is obviously a goose, but to me it's only name calling and like I've said before if someone calling you a name is the biggest problem you have in life you don't have too much to worry about.