Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Married 6-10 yrs

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Married 11 - 15 yrs

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Married + 15 yrs

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters
This doesn't have much to do with relationships any more. Any atheists had one with a person of faith, or vice versa? How does that work, is it a problem?

Yeah but what if you don't have that, how do rlnshps with actual people work out with such fundamental disagreements. Homer and Marge seemed to make it work. I'm sure I think as deeply about God and spiritual matters as most religious types, just different conclusions.

Well, I’m catholic. But I don’t have a close relationship with God. Maybe that’s a good thing because it means I havent needed to turn to him for help like many others do. My wife is atheist- and I respect her for that. It’s never a compromise ie God or the wife. Both can live harmoniously in one’s life unless you try to force one onto the other.

I’m curious about other religions. Buddha, Islam and whatever else is out there

Well, I’m catholic. But I don’t have a close relationship with God. Maybe that’s a good thing because it means I havent needed to turn to him for help like many others do. My wife is atheist- and I respect her for that. It’s never a compromise ie God or the wife. Both can live harmoniously in one’s life unless you try to force one onto the other.

How can you be Catholic without God, just a family tradition with no real meaning or purpose in your life?

How can you be Catholic without God, just a family tradition with no real meaning or purpose in your life?

You can be catholic by name if you’re baptised and went through confirmation. But many are non practicing - like myself. But that has nothing to do with your relationship with god. Just like marriage. It’s a title. But the relationship between you and your partner is just that - between the two of you

I You can catholic by name if you’re baptised and went through confirmation. But Many are non practicing catholics - like myself. But that has nothing to do with your relationship with god. Just like marriage. It’s a title. But the relationship between you and your partner is just that - between the two of you
My dad's Catholic, I was confirmed in the church when I was 12. I was St Augustine, only saint I knew from a bob dylan song.

Then my uncle made me go learn to chant Torah for bar mitzvah, the rabbi was the funniest guy I ever met, American dude they flew in once a year. I said I still can't understand why we believe all this shit, he said tell you the truth, neither do I.

Fuck that was a bizarre year in hindsight, no wonder I ended up a bipolar atheist.

My wife’s family are all catholic and we had a big catholic wedding in brasil- I thought it was awesome (although I was high on coke at the time :ROFLMAO: ).
Got the kids christened too- didn’t bother me- thought it might help them get into a flash school one day.
Her and her mother are into espritismo though- don’t really know how to explain it but they believe they can communicate with dead spirits and the spirits can help them heal people.
I went with them a couple of times to their place of worship- it was pretty trippy- a lady takes u away and asks a few questions and then kinda feels out your aura and evokes the the spirits to cleanse u and blows all this sage smoke in your face- there’s a bit of African influence in there too- it all gets a bit voodooish…
Anyway my wife knows I don’t believe in all that but I don’t discount it either- never been a problem.

Most profound thing I've ever heard is after the chch mosque attack, I think it was Paddy Gower asked the Muslim leader his feelings about the shooter, he said I love him as a brother, regardless of whatever put such hatred in his heart. I believed him, can't say I've been as affected by a leader of any other faith irl.

Most profound thing I've ever heard is after the chch mosque attack, I think it was Paddy Gower asked the Muslim leader his feelings about the shooter, he said I love him as a brother, regardless of whatever put such hatred in his heart. I believed him, can't say I've been as affected by a leader of any other faith irl.

Yeah, nah fuck that. If anyone I cared about was part of that carnage then love is the last thing on my mind

I’m not religious at all but the way I see it, either there’s something better on the other side or there’s not- I just chose to believe there is- it puts me at peace.
it's Pascal's wager for me;

Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument advanced by Blaise Pascal (1623–1662), seventeenth-century French mathematician, philosopher, physicist, and theologian.[1] This argument posits that individuals essentially engage in a life-defining gamble regarding the belief in the existence of God.

Pascal contends that a rational person should adopt a lifestyle consistent with the existence of God and actively strive to believe in God. The reasoning behind this stance lies in the potential outcomes: if God does not exist, the individual incurs only finite losses, potentially sacrificing certain pleasures and luxuries. However, if God does indeed exist, they stand to gain immeasurably, as represented for example by an eternity in Heaven in Abrahamic tradition, while simultaneously avoiding boundless losses associated with an eternity in Hell.

it's Pascal's wager for me;

Pascal's wager is a philosophical argument advanced by Blaise Pascal (1623–1662), seventeenth-century French mathematician, philosopher, physicist, and theologian.[1] This argument posits that individuals essentially engage in a life-defining gamble regarding the belief in the existence of God.

Pascal contends that a rational person should adopt a lifestyle consistent with the existence of God and actively strive to believe in God. The reasoning behind this stance lies in the potential outcomes: if God does not exist, the individual incurs only finite losses, potentially sacrificing certain pleasures and luxuries. However, if God does indeed exist, they stand to gain immeasurably, as represented for example by an eternity in Heaven in Abrahamic tradition, while simultaneously avoiding boundless losses associated with an eternity in Hell.

The problem is you cant fake believe by hedging your bets and pretending to believe, when in your conscience you dont really believe he exists...

Back