General Jnr Warriors v Vulcans - Recruitment???

• Thread starter slaughterhouse.sa_old
  • Start date

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Surely, the reason that the Vulcans are so strong is because of the success of the Junior Warriors?

Isn't that the point of feilding the three teams (to develope talent and a depth of it?)

yes and know.
If you believe all the warriors spiel . ..

I believe the Vulcans setup has also benefitted from the Warriors becoming more involved, not just the players made available.

But as shown on the weekend a team made up of predominately local auckland club talent beat a highly fancied junior team.

And could of easily disposed of Sunshine Coast too IMo

AC5_old

Why was the reserve grade cut, money?

Yea, from what I understand, (could be wrong) it was pretty much a money problem. Keeping the clubs running two teams with all the expenses and wages was too much. Which why I think they brought in the NYC as under 20s???to keep the overheads as low as possible?

Viking_old

It's not up to the individual club, it's a pre-requisite! To be eligible to play NYC you have to be involved in either a tertiary degree, an apprenticeship or a traineeship. If you don't have one of those you cannot play Toyota cup. I know a few boys that have cheated the system and are only working a few hours a week at footlocker or other retailers but are sitting 'Cert IV's in retail ( about an hour of homework a month) so that they are eligible for NYC.

This is happening both sides of the Tasman. The smart ones JPalavi, Omar etc are going to UNI and are receiving tertiary grants from the Warriors that are exempt from the salary caps.

If a player has nothing to fall back on after his NYC career then he has no-one to blame but themselves. They get all the resources and advise that they could ever need, it's not the clubs fault if the player wants to spend their down time sinking piss at the desi lounge and post pics of it all over the Internet. Plenty of time for that shit AFTER they score their big time contracts.

I think those prerequisites are a bit looser in reality than they are on paper and aren't as strictly enforced just like your Footlocker example shows. They aren't cheating the system, just doing the bare minimum and a bit of that goes on here. I doubt that more than half of 35 plus players in last years squad were in real tertiary study and I can't think of 5 that were at uni, not that it matters. I don't know if it is coincidence but the ones that are at uni seem more likely to kick on to 1st grade ie Palavi,Tony and Slaimankeil.

You are totally right, those players I mentioned have only got themselves to blame. I know of others who went through the system but also ensured they had other options when they didn't kick on but I believe those players also had a fair idea that they weren't going to picked up anyway which is why they made sure they were covered. The ones who didn't plan ahead were players that looked very promising and I'm sure they had convinced themselves that they didn't need a plan B. As long as the club makes it clear that every player is only an injury away from having to find a day job then I don't see what more they can do.

It would be interesting how much of the 2nd tier cap is used to keep the most promising jrs at the club despite them having no realistic chance of making 1st grade that year. I guess that's a commercial reality for every NRL club now.

What is a 'desi lounge'?

2big2strong_old

What is a 'desi lounge'?

Well I'm glad you asked kind sir.

This is a desi lounge.

AjvrMPvCMAMSSR7.jpg:large

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Well I'm glad you asked kind sir.

This is a desi lounge.

AjvrMPvCMAMSSR7.jpg:large

Is he a prop . .. if hes really driven to have another shot.
Tell him to report to Ricky Henry for Vulcans.

or a sad one. . . Evan Tuimavave moving back to auckalnd after being cut by the knights.

Even though alcohol and the associated behaviour inhibits development etc
Far too often, it is used by players as an excuse for not being good enough
or simply not training harder enough.

Unfortunately, in todays society its more acceptable/cooler to say nah got on the piss too much . .. that why I didnt make it.

Phantomlock_old

Awesome discussion this; great thoughts from different points of view.

Mine has always been to promote our Vulcans before NYC players. That's also the view (generally) across the ditch and the NSW Cup teams, for the NRL clubs who are actually fed by one, get very good exposure and support from fans and clubs alike. Incidentally recruitment, training and promotion begins so much earlier in Oz than is the case for the Vulcans.

The success of the Vulcans last year was due largely to BOTH Blackmore's coaching and to the higher number of contracted Warriors players playing week in week out. In 2012 with a number of last year's first string Vulcans players leaving Henry still has good stocks to choose from - most of the names mentioned earlier (Maú, Paasi, Palavi, Taka, Retzlaff, Matagi, Chan-Ting, Kingi) all have great potential and experience; with so many players leaving though it's difficult to know how many of our Vulcans this year will be able to make the next step up to FG if called upon.

PL