Sports Black Caps

Wrighty, first you called Mitchell a dud and now not rating an international double century.
Against a weaker SA side I get it but I will not be anything than positive for an innings like that
I don't think Rachin would have made it to 20 against Rabada and the real SA attack on that green pitch. It was doing plenty when he and Kane came together.

Now that Rachin has played that innings I thin he will be twice the batsman going forward as he did a lot of on the job learning through the inning in terms of how to make his defemce robust on a green seamer. I saw him make adjustments that he will probably incorporate into his play for the rest of his career. It was a tremendous innings but all centuries are amazing and amongst centuries I do not rate it rather than not rating the inning itself if that makes sense.

Hahaha. Mine are only words from my keyboard. Rachin has just scored a double century and very early in his career and he deserves accolades 👏
I don't think by the look on his face that Rachin rates the double himself. Probably felt like getting a ton for Wellington vs CD.

I don't think Rachin would have made it to 20 against Rabada and the real SA attack on that green pitch. It was doing plenty when he and Kane came together.

Now that Rachin has played that innings I thin he will be twice the batsman going forward as he did a lot of on the job learning through the inning in terms of how to make his defemce robust on a green seamer. I saw him make adjustments that he will probably incorporate into his play for the rest of his career. It was a tremendous innings but all centuries are amazing and amongst centuries I do not rate it rather than not rating the inning itself if that makes sense.
Rabada didn’t play mate. And your opinions on his technique is all well and good but he’s made his name in the ODIs and now Test cricket so he must be doing something right.

Rabada didn’t play mate. And your opinions on his technique is all well and good but he’s made his name in the ODIs and now Test cricket so he must be doing something right.
He is the best batsman in NZ of his generation. Just like Kane and Ross were the best of their generation. Players like Kane and Ross and Rachin come along once every twenty years. If Rachin doesn't get at least 20 test match centuries then he will not have lived up to his potential. There is a small chance Rachin could end up better than Kane as Rachin has more attacking flair and can put an attack to the sword while Kane grinds teams to death.

Rachin will beat Brendon's highest score for a black cap in tests.

I don't think by the look on his face that Rachin rates the double himself. Probably felt like getting a ton for Wellington vs CD.
What gives you the right to down play the satisfaction that this young man has justly deserved by the look on his face
I find that comment very disrespectful and hopefully he rubs your face in it for years to come.
Hopefully I am still around to remind you

What gives you the right to down play the satisfaction that this young man has justly deserved by the look on his face
I find that comment very disrespectful and hopefully he rubs your face in it for years to come.
Hopefully I am still around to remind you
I am pulling out of this thread and won't be back. Which will please most of you no doubt. I don't need to be spoken to like that.

Mate I respect your opinion. We disagree a lot but glad your here saying your piece.
We are all entitled to our respectful opinions. I just feel he wasn't giving a young man his dues.
Probably a bit harsh on my part but hey I was proud of the guys contribution to NZ cricket

No it doesnt

I am pulling out of this thread and won't be back. Which will please most of you no doubt. I don't need to be spoken to like that.

Sport is meant to be positive. You may be right we will never know. I for one was pleased for the young man. He will have learnt a huge amount about what is needed for test cricket and will be better prepared for better attacks.

I think I understand what you are saying. However, the fact the scoring rates weren't high, Kane was around 41%, suggests that they had to work very hard for what they got. As you say, the ball was doing plenty. You still have to score the runs and the next best score aside from Williamson was 39. I dare say, Australia will give us a very good indicator of where we are at.

He is the best batsman in NZ of his generation. Just like Kane and Ross were the best of their generation. Players like Kane and Ross and Rachin come along once every twenty years. If Rachin doesn't get at least 20 test match centuries then he will not have lived up to his potential. There is a small chance Rachin could end up better than Kane as Rachin has more attacking flair and can put an attack to the sword while Kane grinds teams to death.

Pity your pulling out of this thread (ffs i dont understand why posters pull stumps just because someones disagreed with their opinion) but i wouldve liked to have got your opinion on Jesse Ryder who talent wise was the equal if not better than even Ross Taylor. His stillness at the crease and the way he picked up the ball earlier than almost anyone ive seen just underlies what a god given waste of talent this dude was imo.

Pity your pulling out of this thread (ffs i dont understand why posters pull stumps just because someones disagreed with their opinion) but i wouldve liked to have got your opinion on Jesse Ryder who talent wise was the equal if not better than even Ross Taylor. His stillness at the crease and the way he picked up the ball earlier than almost anyone ive seen just underlies what a god given waste of talent this dude was imo.
Agree about Ryder. Unfortunately his favorite shot was Tequila

I'm glad we are now rightfully playing Ravindra as a top order batsman.

The issue I have at the moment is the make up of the team and how we are fitting everyone in. Conway I feel has been sort of forced in to being a test opener, where he has had success mind you, on the back of short format opening. I feel his best spot in tests is 3 or 4. But if that happens then we have to look at the makeup of our team and who partners Latham at opener. It's a shame Mitchell doesn't bowl more and be our genuine batting/bowling all rounder at 6, though his batting form over the last few seasons has warranted him playing solely as a batsman.

Would be interesting to have:
Latham
???
Conway
Williamson
Ravindra
Mitchell
Blundell
4 bowlers.

But that leaves us missing a 5th bowler if Mitchell doesn't bowl so everyone has to slide up a place to fit a player like Philips in to the side that provides that which is a pity I think for Conway but I guess it balances the team better.

Last edited:
Don't feel you need to leave this thread Wrighty Wrighty. You bring up some good discussion at times and obviously have a keen following of NZ first class cricket.
Agree 👍 100.
First thing I learned in my limited cricket career was if you want to bat you also need to learn how to bowl.

I'm glad we are now rightfully playing Ravindra as a top order batsman.

The issue I have at the moment is the make up of the team and how we are fitting everyone in. Conway I feel has been sort of forced in to being a test opener, where he has had success mind you, on the back of short format opening. I feel his best spot in tests is 3 or 4. But if that happens then we have to look at the makeup of our team and who partners Latham at opener. It's a shame Mitchell doesn't bowl more and be our genuine batting/bowling all rounder at 6, though his batting form over the last few seasons has warranted him playing solely as a batsman.

Would be interesting to have:
Latham
???
Conway
Williamson
Ravindra
Mitchell
Blundell
4 bowlers.

But that leaves us missing a 5th bowler if Mitchell doesn't bowl so everyone has to slide up a place to fit a player like Philips in to the side that provides that which is a pity I think for Conway but I guess it balances the team better.
I think initially Conway was always earmarked to take over Taylors number 4 spot. Unfortunately for him he goes and scores 200 on debut as an opener and pretty much seals his fate. Yeah hes in a funk atm but i reckon runs are around the corner and then he'll be away again.

I think initially Conway was always earmarked to take over Taylors number 4 spot. Unfortunately for him he goes and scores 200 on debut as an opener and pretty much seals his fate. Yeah hes in a funk atm but i reckon runs are around the corner and then he'll be away again.
100% agree. No.4 was his spot after Rosco imo.
Too late now I believe we well and truely found our 4 this week

Like any sport, talent only gets you so far. And Ryder had the talent to go a lot further than he did. His hand eye coordination was off the charts

Back