General Jesse Royal

Viking_old

Evarn has hurt his neck in training and could miss the whole season. Waiting for more tests but the worst case scenario is the whole year but if the tests are good then will be maybe the 1st 4-8 weeks of the season.

The Jesse Royal signing looks like being more valuble than first thought.

Who was the prominant Aussie player (not Tate) that had neck injuries that threatened his career not so long ago? I keep thinking Tallis but could be wrong.

2big2strong_old

Who was the prominant Aussie player (not Tate) that had neck injuries that threatened his career not so long ago? I keep thinking Tallis but could be wrong.

Nathan Brown?

He had to retire at 27 because during an off-season operation they discovered he had a loose disc that if pushed the wrong way, would sever his spinal chord. They said it was a birth defect and he had played with it his whole career.

2big2strong_old

Steve Matai is going to have serious problems if he doesn't take at least half a season off and address his neck problems.

Viking_old

Minichiello, or was that back?

Nah his back is stuffed. Every year there's an article on how Mini's back is fixed and how he feels like he's 10 years younger etc then he's bed ridden for half a year. He needs a French holiday but he wouldn't get past the physical.

The player I can't name had a neck injury that was going to ruin his career but I think they fused it and carried on playing.

Viking_old

Steve Matai is going to have serious problems if he doesn't take at least half a season off and address his neck problems.

Didn't he go under the knife in the off season? I doubt they could've fixed him in 3 months though. Scored a try against London in the weekend.

Lego_Man_old

Nah his back is stuffed. Every year there's an article on how Mini's back is fixed and how he feels like he's 10 years younger etc then he's bed ridden for half a year. He needs a French holiday but he wouldn't get past the physical.

The player I can't name had a neck injury that was going to ruin his career but I think they fused it and carried on playing.

PJ Marsh received a near career-ending neck injury too...

Jesbass_old

Evarn has hurt his neck in training and could miss the whole season. Waiting for more tests but the worst case scenario is the whole year but if the tests are good then will be maybe the 1st 4-8 weeks of the season.

The Jesse Royal signing looks like being more valuble than first thought.

Have you heard this anywhere official, 2b2s, or just gonig by what R&S said over at LU? The club had already stated Tuimavave's neck injury, (hence his absence in the first two trials), so it'd pay for us to know if this is the same injury, or if he's made it worse in contact training.

Spence_old

Have you heard this anywhere official, 2b2s, or just gonig by what R&S said over at LU? The club had already stated Tuimavave's neck injury, (hence his absence in the first two trials), so it'd pay for us to know if this is the same injury, or if he's made it worse in contact training.

I don't think he has been training. At the training I attended he was just passing balls to Rapira and Lillyman for their contact training.

ToiletDuck_old

That was Gorden Freeman, I mean Tallis who had the neck fusion shit happening.

2big2strong_old

Just going by what R&S said, I thought i'd post it over here in case one of our members could elaborate but it sounds like just a rumour now.

Northern_Union

Phil Clark was another that had a serious neck injury. He never played again though.

Viking_old

Gordon Tallis it is then, man he was a good player. I don't think Australia have had a player as scary as him since.

2big2strong_old

Yes he was the ultimate League player, hardly ever made a mistake and when his team were down he picked them up. A lot like Brad Fittler. They were a real loss to league when they hung up their boots. Best 2nd Rower and Five-eigth of the 90's.

Viking_old

Yes he was the ultimate League player, hardly ever made a mistake and when his team were down he picked them up. A lot like Brad Fittler. They were a real loss to league when they hung up their boots. Best 2nd Rower and Five-eigth of the 90's.

And maybe the first Polynesian/Australian league superstar. That might be a bit of a stretch, he's probably 1/4 Tongan eh?

2big2strong_old

And maybe the first Polynesian/Australian league superstar. That might be a bit of a stretch, he's probably 1/4 Tongan eh?

I was told many years ago that he was half Tongan (through his dad wally), but I saw Wally on tv and he looks and talks like an aboriginal and Tallis was selected in the Indigenous team of the century. I've never heard an official source say that he was Tongan but it is definitely a popular story.

2big2strong_old

Just read that in his bio, Raging Bull, Tallis said "I'm not Tongan" then later says that "My Grandfather is Tongan".

I'm confused.

Viking_old

Did a google search and a quote from his book raging bull says his ancestry is Torres Strait Island and Vanuatu but later said he told the footy show that he put that in his book to stop Tongans hassling him and his grandfather was Tongan. Also he was approached to play for Tonga in the 95 RLWC. Who knows, looks to be part aboriginal to me. Basically he was a big ball of angry on the field.