General Jesse Royal

Northern_Union

Never the less, well done to both of you. Thanks for the info.

2big2strong_old

Haha, yep. I generally wouldn't of known about Roiall if I hadn't of read that book twice through already. One of the best books I have ever bought. Worth every cent.

Yes Jesse Royal was meant to play for Scotland in the WC if not for his premature retirement. Filipaina played for and captained Samoa, but was also eligible for the NZ Maori as his mother is Maori.

Viking_old

NU, I've just done a massive search, and I think you must be getting mixed up with Mark Roiall, who was a 1983 NZ Māori representative, and now runs Auckland-based Langi Sports: https://www.langisports.co.nz/

Yeah, I see him around the clubs a bit but didn't know his playing history. Seems like a good dude and does a lot for the sport.

JonB_old

you must be smiling from ear to ear Viking, congrats to you and your boy, i hope he has a good crack at it.

Viking_old

you must be smiling from ear to ear Viking, congrats to you and your boy, i hope he has a good crack at it.

I'm more nervous than anything! The 20s don't worry him much cos he's knows a lot of them, he'll just need to get his hands on the ball early and hit it up hard to get rid of the butterflies. He might have to mark that new massive winger Sam Limu-Franklin, no worries though he's played against bigger boys and dropped them. I worry more about the super fast wingers than the big ones cos at least you know the big ones aren't going to try and step you eh.

Northern_Union

Unless that big winger happened to be Eric Growth junior or senior.

Northern_Union

He said that he was a musican playing league to pay the bills which i guess is why he was a no show at a Kangaroos training.

Spence_old

He has been recalled into the Eels squad for a pre-season game. I think his problem is that he doesn't have a beard to match his Dads.

Speaking of the eels, Hayne is going to be playing 6 for them this year. The beginning of the season, at any rate. Thoughts?

2big2strong_old

I think the whole demographics of league positions are changing as they have been every decade. Seems some coaches are going for 3 centres and 1 playmaker, some are going for 3 playmakers (7,6,13) and some are still sticking with 2 playmakers.

Jarryd Hayne will be a Jerome Ropati style 6. Both are great ball runners that don't like to pass the ball. Could be a masterstroke but I think it's not going to last long.

2big2strong_old

Ta'ai got mentioned in the news tonight, and Cleary said something along the lines of how if you wanted to create the ideal body for league, Ta'ai's would be it.

And for those of you like myself that didn't get to see it here's the link. Shows a clip of Tai'i playing for Mt Albert and he looks like a handful, would like to see how he goes against the best defenders in the NRL though. I'm stoked.

https://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Fien-...317/articleID/91921/cat/70/Default.aspx#video
*EDIT - Might help if I put the link in here somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

pilky01_old

I'm more nervous than anything! The 20s don't worry him much cos he's knows a lot of them, he'll just need to get his hands on the ball early and hit it up hard to get rid of the butterflies. He might have to mark that new massive winger Sam Limu-Franklin, no worries though he's played against bigger boys and dropped them. I worry more about the super fast wingers than the big ones cos at least you know the big ones aren't going to try and step you eh.

Hey Viking, I was just wondering why your son isn't playing for vulcans as appose to the U20's?

Viking_old

He isn't part of the Warriors and he isn't expecting a call any time soon. He was on their radar last year but the prems team he plays for struggled and so did he a little, it was a lot to expect a 16 yr old to shine against seasoned Fox and Sharman players. Last year was his first as an outside back, he captained the Samoan PIRLA U16 team as a prop in 07, so there's a lot for him to learn and the Vulcans is a really good environment to help that happen. He gets a lot of individual attention at the Vulcans, more than he would at the Warriors who have 100 plus juniors on their books. I'll know by tomorrow night if he's on the right path I guess.

Spence_old

He's still eligible for 2 more seasons anyway, isn't he? Time is on his side

STRIDER_old

He isn't part of the Warriors and he isn't expecting a call any time soon. He was on their radar last year but the prems team he plays for struggled and so did he a little, it was a lot to expect a 16 yr old to shine against seasoned Fox and Sharman players. Last year was his first as an outside back, he captained the Samoan PIRLA U16 team as a prop in 07, so there's a lot for him to learn and the Vulcans is a really good environment to help that happen. He gets a lot of individual attention at the Vulcans, more than he would at the Warriors who have 100 plus juniors on their books. I'll know by tomorrow night if he's on the right path I guess.

You should be absolutley proud Viking. To get picked up by the Vulcans so young is really impressive. I understand there is another talented kid from Wellington lining up for the Vulcans also called Matt Robinson.

Just wondering what are the physical stats on your son. What sought of player mould is he ?

Viking_old

You should be absolutley proud Viking. To get picked up by the Vulcans so young is really impressive. I understand there is another talented kid from Wellington lining up for the Vulcans also called Matt Robinson.

Just wondering what are the physical stats on your son. What sought of player mould is he ?

I'm not sure which one Matt is but there were a few that came up to trial from the North City Vikings that won the Welly premeirship last year. I'd say he'd be a bit older, I don't think there's anyone under 20 besides my boy but I don't get to many trainings. The trial at the beginning of the month was so hard that a few guys that made the cut can't play today because of injuries.

My boy's about 6 foot and is roughly 95 kgs ATM. When his body matures I'm hoping he'll be a centre\second row but I can see them parking him out on the wing today. If he makes the cut he'd still be at the end of the queue for actual games during the regular season, that's if the ARL let him play at all.

The Warriors lining up for the Vulcans will be, Hermann Retzlaff, Michael Witt, Issac John, Aaron Heremaia, Liam Foran, Kurt TeHira, Nathaniel Neale and possibly Aaron Pawley. I think there's one other Warrior but I don't know who that could be. Hermann's older brother Issac, who played for the Cronulla Cobras and had a good trial game for the first grade team in the pre-season last year is also playing for the Vulcans today.

Iafeta_old

Pawley is a seriously underrated player. Very shrewd around the ruck. Reminds me a bit of Danny Buderus in how he's able to get out quickly and put his forwards over the advantage line with ease.

Good luck to your young fella Viking. He's still got time on his side for sure.

Jesbass_old

Viking, it was good to meet you today, and I hope your boy isn't feeling too bad about Peter Mills. He's a big unit, is your kid. I'm sure you can tell by him and I standing next to each other why I dedicate my time to writing about the game, rather than playing it! :lol1:

2big2strong_old

Evarn has hurt his neck in training and could miss the whole season. Waiting for more tests but the worst case scenario is the whole year but if the tests are good then will be maybe the 1st 4-8 weeks of the season.

The Jesse Royal signing looks like being more valuble than first thought.