General Jesse Royal

Spence_old

Anyone seen him in real life? Is he a monster?

Viking? I'm guessing you have

Viking_old

Anyone seen him in real life? Is he a monster?

Viking? I'm guessing you have

Nah, actually I haven't. He played for Mt Albert after they hammered us thank goodness! The Vulcans boys liked him but weren't overawed, I don't know how much you can read into that. I remember reading a Vulcans game report where he had chipped for himself, regathered and scored which doesn't sound like a BFN at all, he must have some skill. I was hoping he'd be playing for the Vulcans so my boy could hide behind him LOL. Oh well, plenty of other good players in the Vulcans, should be a good match.

There's a piece on Tai'i on Sports Tonight on TV3 in a few minutes time.

Viking_old

OK it was pretty short piece but they showed him training and a bit of his Mt Albert club footage where he was bumping off defenders like bowling pins, it was reminiscent of Feka. He looks around 6'3 and 110kgs at a guess.

2big2strong_old

Nah, actually I haven't. He played for Mt Albert after they hammered us thank goodness! The Vulcans boys liked him but weren't overawed, I don't know how much you can read into that. I remember reading a Vulcans game report where he had chipped for himself, regathered and scored which doesn't sound like a BFN at all, he must have some skill. I was hoping he'd be playing for the Vulcans so my boy could hide behind him LOL. Oh well, plenty of other good players in the Vulcans, should be a good match.

There's a piece on Tai'i on Sports Tonight on TV3 in a few minutes time.

So your boys in the squad Viking?! Congratulations for you your son and the family! Last I heard he was at the trial at the Kids to Kiwi's day but hadn't heard anything else on it. Any more details?

Spence_old

Thats pretty impressive, only 7th form and playing for the Vulcans! Good show.

Is you son still going back to mags in term two?

Jesbass_old

Viking, when is the Vulcans match? If I'm around, I might try to to sneak a look. ;)

Viking_old

So your boys in the squad Viking?! Congratulations for you your son and the family! Last I heard he was at the trial at the Kids to Kiwi's day but hadn't heard anything else on it. Any more details?

Actually he's a bit too young and still has some growing to do and there's some very good players from last year who will take up most spots. Also with the Warriors buying so many new players, they will make up half the playing team in the regular season, so realistically he's there for the experience. There's a move in the ARL to make the minimum age for premier players 18 which he won't be until the end of the year. This is to bolster the 20s competition I guess but the implications are that if you aren't playing premiers, you can't be considered for the Vulcans I expect.

There's about 30 Vulcans players that will run against the 20s including Witty, Hermann, Liam, Aaron and Issac so I imagine that some of the regular train on squad will culled after this trial but I'm not sure. They trained alongside the 20s on Wed night and he got to run with Witt who was looking fairly sharp, I think he's working his way back from injury.

It should be a very entertaining game with both teams running a lot of players, I expect he'll get less than half a game and only at wing or centre, he really fancies himself as forward though.

Viking_old

Viking, when is the Vulcans match? If I'm around, I might try to to sneak a look. ;)

2.15 I think. PM me your mobile and we can catch up at the game Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking_old

Thats pretty impressive, only 7th form and playing for the Vulcans! Good show.

Is you son still going back to mags in term two?

Nah, he's out of zone and the school have said there's kids on the waiting list with better marks etc. He'll be in zone for MRGS but might look at the NZ Institute of Sport. Also SENZ have a free league academy program which they run with the Warriors but he's probably above that level.

Spence_old

Thats no good then, I'm sorry to hear that. I've heard that it is very crowded this year from the staff I've talked to. I guess it's due to the recession, as the junior classes are the same, but there are many more seniors.

Magic Stick_old

looking forward to see how Steve Rapira goes for the Cowboys...i really rated him

Spence_old

Looking forward to see how Grant Rovelli goes for the Cowboys... I really rated him.

On a serious note, I actually looking forward to see Rovelli, I hope he has a blinder. And on Rapira, I liked him too, and I only saw him play once. He has great tackling technique.

Northern_Union

Viking or PDB may know the answer to this question. There was a bloke called Royal that toured with the 83 NZ Maori league side to the UK, is Jessie a relative?
Can't remember the older Royal blokes name.

2big2strong_old

NU, it was Mark Roiall. different spelling so I assume no immediate link between the two families.

He was a hooker from Auckland.

2big2strong_old

Intersting thing to note, Mark Roiall was not actually of Maori heritage but in fact Tongan. Just like the Sorensens.

Up until 1986 The NZ Maori team included all players of polynesian heritage because they didn't have the opportunity of representing their own nations of decent. In 1986 the pacific cup was re-invented to give the smaller pacific nations a chance at competing internationally. Until then the Pacific cup only consisted of NZ Maori, PNG and non-league playing states of Australia like W.A and N.T. NZ Maori won all Pacific cup tournaments prior to 1986.

2big2strong_old

haha, too fast for ya. Funny thing is after the Pacific cup became a legit comp, he captained Tonga against the NZ Maori.