General Jesse Royal

Fazz_old

After preparing to play for the New Zealand Warriors' feeder club at the start of the year, prop Jesse Royal has compiled a notable run with the National Rugby League (NRL) club.

Royal, who is in the starting 13 for the away match against South Sydney on Sunday, is be one of only three Warriors to have played every match this season.

Hooker Aaron Heremaia and interchange forward Ben Matulino are the others with 17 appearances heading into the clash at Homebush.

Royal admits that his status as an ever-present in the side isn't something he would have expected a little over four months ago.

"I was supposed to play for the Vulcans and it was only because a few injuries came up that I played the first game," he said.

"Since then, it's just been about working hard. All you can do is train hard and play every game like it's your last."

In a season in which coach Ivan Cleary has had to work around numerous injuries, the Warriors have been hard hit in the front row.

Among those who have spent significant time on the sidelines are Steve Price, Sam Rapira and Jacob Lillyman.

Price's heel problem means he won't play at all in his final NRL year, while Rapira could be back next week.

Lillyman, who returned to action with the Vulcans last weekend, has been included on an expanded bench against Souths.

Royal, 30, made his NRL debut three years ago with Newcastle and made 29 appearances over two seasons before being let go by the Knights.

A Hamilton-born former Army chef, he was working in the Newcastle coal mines when the Warriors relaunched his NRL career.

He played 15 matches for the Warriors last year, when he felt the lack of a proper pre-season showed up in his performances.

"I had a lot of dropped ball and it was a disappointing year, to say the least," he said.

"This year, I feel like I've got the fitness in the bank. I'm a bit more confident in my ability on the field and it's been great."

Five victories a row have lifted the Warriors to fifth on the ladder, while Souths have won just once over the same stretch to drop to ninth.

However, Royal rated the Warriors as underdogs heading across the Tasman, citing as one reason the 26-24 result against the Rabbitohs at Mt Smart Stadium in May.

"We beat them by only two points and that was over here," he said.

"Over there, they'll have the home crowd behind them and everything will be stacked in their favour. We just have to keep our heads down, train hard and come up with a great plan against them."

Ad Feedback

Royal was bracing for a tough battle up front against the likes of Kiwi Roy Asotasi, English international Sam Burgess and big David Taylor.

Asotasi was out injured and Taylor on Queensland Origin duty when the sides last met, but Burgess made an impression.

"He's got great footwork and he can offload," Royal said. "He's also big and aggressive and he can put a shot on."

Royal comes off contract at the end of the season and, while his preference would be to stay with the Warriors, he isn't sure what next year will bring.

"I've not really thought about that," he said.

"All I'm concentrating on is playing well for the team and putting my best foot forward."

source: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3946184/Royal-the-prospective-Vulcan-becomes-regular-Warrior

I think a few of us (myself, for sure) were guilty of forgetting about his minimal pre season prep, doesn't really explain his crap form at the start of this year, but it does explain why he's starting to become a bit more comfortable now. Hopefully he keeps up his form, improves more and earns a new contract as back up for next year.

AussieWarriorsFan_old

I think a few of us (myself, for sure) were guilty of forgetting about his minimal pre season prep, doesn't really explain his crap form at the start of this year, but it does explain why he's starting to become a bit more comfortable now. Hopefully he keeps up his form, improves more and earns a new contract as back up for next year.

That made me laugh. He has been going well lately hasn't he?

sebastian_old

Depending how we go in our search for a new prop Royal has prob earn't himself a one year contract, even if our search goes well, at current form he'd be suitable depth.

daj3_old

I don't think he's amazing, but he provides good depth, and is a kiwi to boot. If he's prepared to sign on knowing he's likely to spend most of his time with the vulcans, I reckon he's a decent signing.

Funny how when the warriors are losing, certain players are considered terrible, then we win a few and all of a sudden they're ok. Still can't believe the fast turnaround from this forum on our hooking situation.

ryan1_old

Still can't believe the fast turnaround from this forum on our hooking situation.
I don't think that the factions you are talking about have changed their opinions, but rather that they are simply waiting until we have a bad one as a means to justify their beliefs, again.

DanKokoro_old

Funny how when the warriors are losing, certain players are considered terrible, then we win a few and all of a sudden they're ok. Still can't believe the fast turnaround from this forum on our hooking situation.

Could also be because when we're winning it's normally due to the fact that our players are performing

Northern_Union

Still don't think Heremia has any business being in the NRL but he did go ok against the Storm. Royal offers little other than depth. I'd rather see a young tear away for the Volcans or U20's wearing Royals jersey.

RRG_old

I haven't changed my thoughts on the hooking situation. I would still make signing an organising hooker a recruitment priority, I think our set so often lack the direction that a good hooker could bring.

Hendo and Hohaia are good bench hookers, not so keen on Heremaia although he did surprise me at the start of the season for 5 weeks.

Warrioraholic_old

Royals biggest problem, well only one for me is when he carries the ball he holds it out in front of him with two hands like a dirty nappy and thats whay he gets so much dropped ball. Tuck it under your arm like Price and Packer.

Hendos biggest problem, he tries too hard to try to get a penalty rather than just getting a quick play of the ball. When he does try to get a quick play of the ball he stands there clapping. What the hell is the clapping for?

Jesbass_old

Royals biggest problem, well only one for me is when he carries the ball he holds it out in front of him with two hands like a dirty nappy and thats whay he gets so much dropped ball. Tuck it under your arm like Price and Packer.

Hendos biggest problem, he tries too hard to try to get a penalty rather than just getting a quick play of the ball. When he does try to get a quick play of the ball he stands there clapping. What the hell is the clapping for?

What's the "so much dropped ball" you're referring to? You know he hasn't dropped it once in the last 3 games, right?

He had a howler against Sea Eagles in round 4 with 3 dropped balls, but of the other 16 matches he's played, he's either dropped it once (6 matches) or not at all (10 matches).

There are 8 Warriors who have dropped the ball more than Royal, despite all but one of them playing fewer matches. Sure, different positions handle the ball a different quantity of times, and he's played fewer minutes than the players with the more prolific dropsies, but the "so much dropped ball" statement just doesn't add up.

RRG_old

Henderson is playing well and is very good at what he does. I think he is getting back to his form that he had before his dad passed away. But what he does is not what I believe we need right now. I see the warriors biggest weakness is structure and organisation. This will improve with Seymour, but it has been a problem with the Warriors for many years. I would love to see a hooker who could work with seymour to set the structure and direction for our sets.

I will say however I would not be interested in signing a second rate or untried hooker from somewhere else, as what we have at the moment is not bad. But if we could sign an experienced hooker who is a good passer and a great organiser then I would have no hesistation.

DanKokoro_old

What's the "so much dropped ball" you're referring to? You know he hasn't dropped it once in the last 3 games, right?

He had a howler against Sea Eagles in round 4 with 3 dropped balls, but of the other 16 matches he's played, he's either dropped it once (6 matches) or not at all (10 matches).

There are 8 Warriors who have dropped the ball more than Royal, despite all but one of them playing fewer matches. Sure, different positions handle the ball a different quantity of times, and he's played fewer minutes than the players with the more prolific dropsies, but the "so much dropped ball" statement just doesn't add up.

He used to drop the ball alot and give away too many penalties.. but of late i don't really have anything bad to say about Royal. He's been good. I wouldn't have a problem if he stayed at the warriors for another year.

Jesbass_old

He used to drop the ball alot and give away too many penalties.. but of late i don't really have anything bad to say about Royal. He's been good. I wouldn't have a problem if he stayed at the warriors for another year.

By "used to" do you mean Round 4? And he's only conceded 3 penalties all year.

Or are people still judging him on 2009?

daj3_old

Yeah I've pulled up the stats before, I don't think Royal is statistically a "ball-dropper". What is uncanny, (and I don't think either of us will find stats to prove or disprove this), is the amount of times Royal has dropped either his very first carry, or his first significant carry, or managed to drop a ball at a crucial point in the game. I think that's why many people believe he has poor handling, because his (admittedly few) errors are so glaringly obvious.

Jesbass_old

Yeah I've pulled up the stats before, I don't think Royal is statistically a "ball-dropper". What is uncanny, (and I don't think either of us will find stats to prove or disprove this), is the amount of times Royal has dropped either his very first carry, or his first significant carry, or managed to drop a ball at a crucial point in the game. I think that's why many people believe he has poor handling, because his (admittedly few) errors are so glaringly obvious.

That could well be it - the timing and importance of the errors moreso than the quantity of them. It may also be reputation. Without looking at his 2009 stats, I think he had a bad run of loose carries that he has improved on in 2010.

Fazz_old

Could also be because when we're winning it's normally due to the fact that our players are performing

This. I don't think as fans we are set in our opinions on players 100% (Well mostly, some are)

Personally i'm glad that Henderson is back into form after a shocker in 2009. Can't say I blame him though, my footy would be horrible if I'd plaed right after losing my old man. I reckon on form if we end up having to choose out of heremaia and Hendo, It'd be hendo keeping his spot on the bench. His defense particularly has been outstanding lately, plays with a lot of passion too.

And RE: A junior taking royals jersey, I'd like the same thing, but with the amount of injuries we seem to get through in a year, having guys like royal (take up minimal salary cap, solid performers) is critical.