General Warriors Preseason 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
NRL: Kiwi cult hero Valynce Te Whare saves career with gutbusting weight loss regime

NRL cult hero Valynce Te Whare has seemingly saved his flagging career with a gutbusting weight-loss regime that saw him shed almost 10kg over the Christmas-New Year break.
The Waikato-born and raised centre made a sensational debut for the Brisbane-based Dolphins with a try double against Cronulla Sharks in May 2023 and went on to make 12 appearances, scoring six tries, for the season.
Weighing in at about 120kg, he earned the nickname 'Val Meninga', compared to Aussie league legend and current Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga, but drew the ire of supercoach Wayne Bennett, when he turned up to a pre-season bootcamp even further out of condition.

"We all see his potential," Bennett observed last season. "He's got to lose a bit of weight and commit himself to his diet."
Word from across the Tasman is Te Whare, 23, has been welcomed back to the Dolphins, after an intensive programme that has reduced his weight closer to 110kg.
"He came to me around 122-123kg and he weight in this week at just under 114kg, so he lost about nine kilos," boxing trainer Mark 'Chopper' Burgess told News Corp.
"He has changed his mindset completely. I couldn't believe he was the same bloke who came to me last month - it's impressive.

"Talking to Wayne, he is ecstatic with Val's weight."
Te Whare, a former King Country and Waikato rugby representative, returned to New Zealand over the holidays, regularly tramping and cycling, while sticking to strict eating guidelines.

"Nothing out-trains a bad diet," said Burgess. "We had a saying - 'no carbs after 7 or you go to heaven', so Val really overhauled his diet.
"He's been prepared to take advice and he has made a genuine effort to lose weight."
Upon returning to Australia, Te Whare has fallen under the guidance of a support team that includes Kiwis legend Stephen Kearney.
"Val is really humble," said Burgess. "Initially, I had my doubts, as did a lot of people, but we've invested the time into Val and he's responded.
"He just has to maintain his attitude now and he has the talent to do anything in rugby league."

I guess the other, more contemporary, option was to launch a one-man revolt against Bennett for being a big meany pants, then crying foul on social media to anyone who'd listen, so good on the lad.

This guy knows his stuff and is fantastic with his words.
The only thing that irritates me is him calling them the Aotearoa warriors. Nothing to do with it being Maori or anything like that. I love te reo and think it’s a fantastic language and love hearing it. It’s just not our name. We are the Warriors or in sponsorship terms the One NZ warriors.
I’m not sure why he calls it that. But he’s bloody good and I love reading his articles. Just my whinge I suppose.

The only thing that irritates me is him calling them the Aotearoa warriors. Nothing to do with it being Maori or anything like that. I love te reo and think it’s a fantastic language and love hearing it. It’s just not our name. We are the Warriors or in sponsorship terms the One NZ warriors.
I’m not sure why he calls it that. But he’s bloody good and I love reading his articles. Just my whinge I suppose.
Well, it is the New Zealand Warriors and Aotearoa is the generally accepted Maori translation of New Zealand. He's free to call it that if he desires, free speech and all that.

One New Zealand New Zealand Warriors just sounds silly so they probably cut that bit out for clarity 😂

Well, it is the New Zealand Warriors and Aotearoa is the generally accepted Maori translation of New Zealand. He's free to call it that if he desires, free speech and all that.

One New Zealand New Zealand Warriors just sounds silly so they probably cut that bit out for clarity 😂
Plus it's likely to change I.e Vodafone to OneNZ

Good read quite interesting, just looking at this other article from him regarding some of the juniors coming through which is pretty interesting as well:

Luke Hanson, Jesse Soric and Tom Summers all Australian prospects who seem to be pretty highly rated which have been signed to Warriors junior pathways, nice to see us stealing some of their talent instead of the other way round for once!!

Just got my tickets to the Christchurch pre-season game, cheap $15
Exciting, and (as Wrighty said) coming around quickly!

I'm heading home (from Sydney) for the Raiders game - first ever Warriors home game in Chch and all - but both me and my family purchased tickets (Christchurch memberships, for both Tigers preseason and Raiders games (so my post is preseason related!)).

We're trying to work out how to approach the two lots of tickets - both around halfway, but one lot is in the North stand and the other in the South stand - is one stand better than the other in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back