General Jeremy Smith To The Knights...

warriors8

warriors8

How did this happen. Whats our recruiting department doing? Must be on holidays already. Smith would have been a great forward addition to the Warriors now the Knights have him for 3 years. We should have offered Lousi, Taylor and Ta'ai for Smith...

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
It has been very well documented that Jeremy Smith's wife, and he himself, were keen to stay in Australia - NSW to be more precise. These players aren't trading cards, their personal circumstances are a massive influence. Yes he would have been a great addition, and I'm sure our recruitment would have loved to have him, but he didn't want to move from Aus. Not much more to say.

Reactions: 3 users
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Knights snare Sharks' Jeremy Smith

Joe Barton AAP Wed, Sep 26, 2012
Coach Wayne Bennett admits he can't believe his luck after Newcastle were able to sign Cronulla forward Jeremy Smith on Wednesday.
The Knights found a silver lining from a disappointing season when the New Zealand international was released from his contract at Cronulla.
The move reunites the 32-year-old with Bennett, the coach he thrived under at St George Illawarra where he won a premiership in 2010.
"It will be great to reunite with Wayne. I've played under him before and I know what he brings to the table," Smith said in a statement.
"He's a great coach with plenty of experience and his record speaks for itself."
Smith had one season to run on his three-year-deal at the Sharks but was released for personal reasons.
The 32-year-old had been on the Knights' radar at the end of the 2008 season before he eventually signed with Cronulla.
Bennett admitted his surprise to have a player of Smith's quality arrive on his doorstep.
"We are very fortunate to have Jeremy coming to the club, I just didn't think a quality player would be available," Bennett.
"He got an opportunity to leave Cronulla and we got an opportunity to take him; I couldn't believe our luck.
"It is certainly one I didn't think would happen until next year but we grabbed it as quick as we could.
"We will all see what Jeremy brings on the field, but it is what he brings off the field as well.
"His actions certainly speak louder than his words, but he isn't afraid to speak up either.
"He won't tolerate teammates that aren't giving their best."
The Sharks released a statement on Wednesday praising the New Zealand international's efforts since joining the club from local rivals the Dragons after the 2010 season.
"Smith gave outstanding service to the Sharks in his two years at the club, at times assuming the leadership role in the absence of Paul Gallen," the statement read.
Cronulla are well covered in the back-row department, with off-season signings Luke Lewis (Penrith) and Chris Heighington (Wests Tigers) joining skipper Paul Gallen, Anthony Tupou, Jayson Bukuya and Wade Graham in 2013.

https://www.nrl.com/knights-snare-sharks-jeremy-smith/tabid/10874/newsid/70086/default.aspx

Would have been a great buy for us but that's what you get trying to encourage players across to here, and particularly without knowing who our coach is. Wayne Bennett or the Warriors Basket case without a bus driver? hmmm tough choice

ramraider78

ramraider78

Good signing for the knights, I'm sure his body will hold up for another few seasons. WB rates him highly , hope we can some experienced players back next year.

rugged

rugged

How did this happen. Whats our recruiting department doing
Right now they may well be awaiting instructions from a new head coach. So a good 2nd rower signed for a rival club, it doesn't mean our recruitment department (dean bell) is doing a bad job!

Reactions: 1 user
Xt1ncT

Xt1ncT

Not sure signing a 32 year old on a 3 year contract is good business personally.

Danpatmac

His wife is from Newcastle.

He wanted to please his wife.

No brainer.

Reactions: 1 users
mode81

mode81

Good signing for the knights, I'm sure his body will hold up for another few seasons. WB rates him highly , hope we can some experienced players back next year.

Agree Bennett rates him but he also knows how to get the best out of Jeremy Smith as well he's still got a bit to offer no doubt, great signing for The Knights he's a quality player.

I only have to think back to how good Smith played in the 2008 RLWC final with Bennett in his ear as well as that 2010 Dragons season, Smith was epic.

From reading above that he was keen to stay in Oz then I'm happy with Todd Lowrie's acquisition at least we have a stable experienced Michael Luck type backrower to help Simon.

olek_skillgannon

olek_skillgannon

Troll
How did this happen. Whats our recruiting department doing? Must be on holidays already. Smith would have been a great forward addition to the Warriors now the Knights have him for 3 years. We should have offered Lousi, Taylor and Ta'ai for Smith...
who needs a kiwi rep when you can get a journeyman nobody australian like tod lowrie or whatever the fk his name is from the storm

warriors recruiter 1 ..'' hey look sharks are looking to offload jeremy smith kiwis 13 won a world cup in 08 a premiership in 07 and 10 two different teams''

warriors recruiter 2 '' nah were looking at tod lowrie''

warriors recruiter 1 '' todd who''

warriors recruiter 2 '' todd lowrie he's an australian ''

warriors recruiter 1'' HE'S AN AUSTRALIAN!! WELL WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR LETS PAY HIM DOUBLE WHAT HES WORTH!!!

Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
who needs a kiwi rep when you can get a journeyman nobody australian like tod lowrie or whatever the fk his name is from the storm

warriors recruiter 1 ..'' hey look sharks are looking to offload jeremy smith kiwis 13 won a world cup in 08 a premiership in 07''

warriors recruiter 2 '' nah were looking at tod lowrie''

warriors recruiter 1 '' todd who''

warriors recruiter 2 '' todd lowrie he's an australian ''

warriors recruiter 1'' HE'S AN AUSTRALIAN!! WELL WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR LETS PAY HIM DOUBLE WHAT HES WORTH!!!

I know you hate all things Australian, but next time it might pay to do some research before spouting off nonsense. It's well documented that he wanted to stay in Australia for family reasons and his wife is from Newcastle. And let's be honest, I'm not sure whether we should take NRL advice from someone who hasn't heard of Todd Lowrie.

olek_skillgannon

olek_skillgannon

Troll
I know you hate all things Australian, but next time it might pay to do some research before spouting off nonsense. It's well documented that he wanted to stay in Australia for family reasons and his wife is from Newcastle. And let's be honest, I'm not sure whether we should take NRL advice from someone who hasn't heard of Todd Lowrie.

todd who? the journeyman nobody the warriors signed? and australia sucks its like a wannabe united states except they got no revolutionary war or civil war or swagger or high yield military ordinance

ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

As much as it would have been good to see him in a Warriors jersey.....good luck to him...relinking with Wayne Bennett and using my motto...."Happy Wife....Happy Life"

Sup42

Sup42

This is why we need Bennett , Bellamy , Sheens etc or any of the Old Boys network.

Doesn't matter how hard Dean Bell works, he's in no way connected in the Australian System.

Jeremy's wife may well have wanted to stay in Aus and the man himself too.

But at the end of the day I wish we were a club who had individuals people want to work for.

A club that leaves players competition wide thinking long and hard before turning us down.

The only way to get to that level is to have a Grand Master of League Kungfu tugging on the heart strings of players. Someone with personal relationships with the stars of the NRL

Sebastian

Sebastian

This is why we need Bennett , Bellamy , Sheens etc or any of the Old Boys network.

Doesn't matter how hard Dean Bell works, he's in no way connected in the Australian System.

Jeremy's wife may well have wanted to stay in Aus and the man himself too.

But at the end of the day I wish we were a club who had individuals people want to work for.

A club that leaves players competition wide thinking long and hard before turning us down.

The only way to get to that level is to have a Grand Master of League Kungfu tugging on the heart strings of players. Someone with personal relationships with the stars of the NRL

Yeah. Like mentioned above it's your history that usually dictates your future. We've just hit the positive streak, of a club that has had no greater say, with a very well financed owner. Something we've never had before. It'll take time to change the mechanics of a unequal bread and circus system that's so important for politicians and corporations like News Limited to maintain. I still don't believe the treatment of the Warriors, the calls against us, players choosing other clubs is personal. The truth is the Australian clubs have become very important to giving the people something to be happy about when they lose their jobs, have their work conditions cut, as long as their sports team wins everything's alright. I believe it's gone past strictly entertainment value.

I imagine the same importance is placed on the All Blacks, too much to lose for them not to be constantly successful. Our club has done very well, making two grand finals in under a decade. Considering we're a foreign team. Overall it's been our fantastic home grown talent. Along with some special Australians that forged their name for various reasons. All it'll ever take is some Australians to spot our ridiculous potential and the management to convince them as so. But it's not the safer option so it'll take either good luck or strong management.

Moz

Moz

Jeremy smith 420x0

They should have offered J-Smitty a house right on Piha beach as well as a salary mighta got 'em then, in all seriousness I'm sure they had a good crack at him.

Danco

Danco

I think the main attraction was Wayne bennet.

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

Not sure signing a 32 year old on a 3 year contract is good business personally.

I would take him on a 3 year contract if it got the deal done. He has plenty of game left and his style will of play will age well. He's a great player and would have been a terrific addition to our team.

Xt1ncT

Xt1ncT

I would take him on a 3 year contract if it got the deal done. He has plenty of game left and his style will of play will age well. He's a great player and would have been a terrific addition to our team.
The problem signing players that age to those sort of deals is that when their bodies start giving in it happens real quick.

IMO it's a huge risk, especially given where he plays.

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

The problem signing players that age to those sort of deals is that when their bodies start giving in it happens real quick.

IMO it's a huge risk, especially given where he plays.

Yeah agreed. It most definately is a risk but it's one worth taking imo. It worked with Price and Wiki.